imnoballer
Years ago

2011/2012 Team Roster Previews

Adelaide 36ers

Confirmed Signings: Nathan Crosswell (G), Darren Ng (G), Nathan Herbert (G/F), Stephen Weigh (G/F), Mitchell Creek (F), Daniel Johnson(F/C), Adam Ballinger (F/C)

Needs: A starting point guard, help in the middle, offensive firepower, perimeter shooting

The Skinny: Coming off a disappointing 9-19 season that saw them finish eighth and miss the Finals for the second straight year, hopes are high that head coach Marty Clarke and team management can recruit the horses to turn things around in the City of Churches.

The Sixers certainly started off their off-season acquisitions well by signing former Perth Wildcats youngster Stephen Weigh as well as veteran guard Nathan Crosswell. Weigh gives the 36ers a versatile swingman with a scorer's mentality and yet another potential building block for the future. Crosswell brings some welcome experience to what remains a very young squad, and will likely come off the bench behind either an import or, if Clarke strikes it lucky, Boomers star Patrick Mills (who the club is recruiting now that he remains in limbo due to the NBA lockout).

Clarke will be looking to the continued development of returning young Sixers Daniel Johnson and Mitchell Creek to help climb back into playoff contention, as well as the return from long-term injury of hard-nosed guard/forward Nathan Herbert. Herbert should at minimum add some steel to the 36ers defensive efforts.

The unconfirmed status of Jacob Holmes however leaves a question mark over the 36ers. Holmes led the team in rebounding last season. If he doesn’t return, one of the 36ers three remaining contracts needs to be allocated to finding a hard-nosed moose on the boards otherwise veteran Adam Ballinger can look forward to a very long season in the paint.

The 36ers can of course use one of their two vacant import slots to address their rebounding needs. After averaging under 80 points a game last season however, both foreign players will also need to be able to produce on the offensive end.

If Adelaide can secure reigning league MVP and free agent American Gary Ervin ahead of the Hawks and other rumoured NBL suitors, he will go a long way towards adding the sort of firepower and playmaking this team needs.

here is the articles address for the other teams
http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article///201011-team-roster-previews/4/

Topic #25833 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

our back up plan to Mills is another young aussie point guard. I think it is coming down to 2 guys.

1 players from Melbourne & a local for the back up point guard roll

Reply #322783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back up point is Crosswell...

Reply #322784 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon, the sixers plan for a PG has always been an import, Mills is more of a long shot than our first option.

Reply #322786 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Actually Big Sexy, the Sixers first option was an Aussie PG (Gibson, Martin) but once they signed with their existing clubs their attention turned to an import (Ervin). Back up PG is Crosswell as Isaac pointed out with Daly I would say as the 3rd option in a development role again.

Reply #322791 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marty seems to like the fast flowing transition game which suits a young fit team. It's pretty exciting watching the Sixers do it well down the court to finish off with an alley oop. We were caught a bit last season when we were in a static defence. Too many times we left good 3 point shooters open only for them to swish a 3. That's one problem that needs fixing.
The other problem is with height and rebounding. Too much was left to too few. In particular I would like to see a couple more tall strongs in that Sixers team. We have lost Dowdell who was a tough nut and I believe a Russel Hinder type player would be good. Someone who can take the knocks, grab the boards and basically be menacing on court in defence. The type of tall that thinks a t-bone steak rare is overcooked.
The big elephant in the room though is poor road performance. We need to be able to win on the road this upcoming season.

Reply #322792 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

This team reminds me of the Dunlap years. A few vets but essentially a babyface team.

I've got to say, I think there will be more weight on Stephen Weigh and Mitch Creek to step up and fill the offensive gaps.

Hopefully DJ starting for the team will work wonders. Would be nice to see if he's more aggressive on the boards.

Reply #322795 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Great review of where Sixers are at and what we need .
I think Jacobn is nowhere on Sixers radar though.
Like Jack Toft I believe the last Aussie in our roster unless the unlikely scenerio of pulling off Mills coup will be a strong hard working big man and believe still some options.
If we can pull off 2 scoring imports it should lead to much greater success and give NG and Balls more open shots .
Then as Jack posted have to learn to win on the road . Whilst Herbert and Crosswell wont be stars I expect them to play major roles in adding some glue and toughness to our team

Reply #322796 | Report this post

Jonno83  
Years ago

Yea i think a long athletic fast breaking team will be great to watch, and would suit the style of players we have, especially our 3 good youngsters, Weigh, Creek and Johnson, and a PG of the Mills/Ervin mould would also suit this perfectly.

Id like to see us start

PG Mills/Ervin
SG Weigh
SF Creek
PF Ballinger
C Johnson

Give Herbert the chance to get back into the NBL after the knee injury without the pressure of starting, but if he begins to out play Weigh or Creek would be happy for him to start, also gives Creek a push to see how good he can be, lets give him minutes/opportunity to see of he is the next Mackinnon/Ingles level SF, he certainly is proving to be in the top couple of best youngsters going around with his performances at the U19 world champs.

With our last Aussie spot i simply want Clarke to sign the best young Aussie available, regardless of position, as i think with a fast breaking style of play and given the NBL is more of a small ball league, that Ballinger, Johnson and Import big would have the PF/C spots covered with Weigh and Creek also able to play a few minutes at PF, if the best Aussie we can get is a big then go for it, but just sign the best player, i think team balance is looking good, if we get the right imports.

Reply #322798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754