Beantown
Years ago

u19 Worlds qtrs v Serbia

Haven't seen anything on the u19s since the Taepei thread and wanted to ask a question or two so time for a new thread!

The Emus are in action against Serbia tonight at 1:30am SA time. For those who want to, I believe you can watch the game live through the FIBA website, though it might cost a small amount.

So what I really wanted to know: how is Anthony Drmic related to Frank Drmic of SE Melbourne Magic days? Big gap to be his brother - son perhaps?

Anthony is having a big tournament, leading the Emus in scoring with 16.8 ppg. Seems to be shooting ridiculously well, making 17/33 3PFG and shooting 56% from the field! Where is he headed after the WC's?

The Sixers Mitch Creek has been solid, with 14.7 ppg and a team leading 6.2 rpg.

Captain Hugh Greenwood appears to be the other standout, though he has had to fight through an ankle injury. He still is averaging 13 ppg though.

Serbia beat us last year 74-64, so it will be intersting to see if we can turn that around here and get ourselves into the medal round. They've lost one more game in the tournament than us, going down to the US in a close one and getting smashed by Lithuania, who are surely tournament favourites with NBA lottery pick Jonas Valanciunas dominating.

Comparing team stats, the main difference is in defence, with the Emus giving up 9ppg less than the Serbs. The Serbs are shooting 2pt FG a little better (47.7 v 44.4), but we are averaging better in rebounds, steals and turnovers thus far.

Topic #25837 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a thread which is kept up to date for the championships
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/25736-2011-u19-world-championships-for-men-the-emus/#p322812
Maybe if this forum moved newest comment to the top of the page rather than just newest started thread this forum wouldnt be littered with 10 threads on every topic..

Anyway.

Yes you can watch it on FIBA TV, costs $15US for a months access.. this gets you access to a heap of games on demand though so you can go back and watch the 2010 Mens World Champs too.

Anthony Drmic is related to Frank Drmic, brother I think..

Staying up late tonight to watch the game live.. LETS GO EMUS!!!!

Reply #322840 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm offended Beantown...check out the thread I have meticulously been keeping up to date.

2011 U19 World Championships for Men: The Emus

And...I expect a formal apology ;)

Reply #322846 | Report this post

I Spy  
Years ago

Anthony certainly is Franks brother, 15 years age difference. Pity he started the tournament so well because he's now been scouted extensively and has attracted quality defenders. Think he's heading to Boise state.
Having said that though, its allowed others guys to enjoy a bit more freedom as they've been paying so much attention to him. Even when not scoring though, his defence against poland and in particular shutting down their dangerous gaurd Ponitka was one of reasons we did it so easily,
As for serbia beating us last year, only 2 active players from Aus (plus mitch) were in that team and not many of the serbs are from 17's either. They play with a lot of emotion so we need to get under their skin to upset the balance,

Reply #322847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what time is it actually on? love to see the next breed of aussie talent

Reply #322860 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Apology? NEVER! LOL LC... should've done a search I guess, but wanted to give the topic a bump so everyone would see it.

Anon 860, try reading the first post for the time!

Thanks I Spy, I am surprised to hear there is only 15 years difference between Frank and Anthony. That would make him only 34. Is he still playing professionally somewhere or has he retired?

So is Anthony going to be better than his brother? What do you guys think?

Reply #322864 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anthony has the work ethic that Frank never had...

Reply #322867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, bookmark the Latest Action mode if that's your preferred forum style.

Reply #322868 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im adamant that Frank is Anthony's uncle.
Anyone know?

Reply #322874 | Report this post

showtime  
Years ago

MACDUB.....
Im with you on your post

Reply #322879 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Frank is the older brother to Anthony. Anthony is a lazy and undisciplined player, tries to take short cuts whenever he can. The mail is that European clubs have targeted him, Iggy and Creek with big $$$$ offers, so I dont expect Iggy and Driggy to go to college in USA

Reply #322885 | Report this post

Tool  
Years ago

Luckily Boomer doesn't know what he is talking about...i assume you or your son got their butts kicked by Drimic...

Iggy going to Boise State...

Both will play for Australia senior mens team in the near future

Reply #322887 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes, both are tremendous players.
Unfortunately, we probably won't see them in the NBL.
Both have Euro citizenship (Drmic with Croatia and Hadziomerovic with Bosnia and Heregovina or Serbia).

Therefore, they can play in Europe as local players.

As such, Euro clubs would be willing to throw big $$ at them.

Drmic and Igor possess great shooting ability, size (Iggy is 6"5 and Drmic is 6"6), Basketball IQ, Instant offence, rebounding and playmaking abilities.

Reply #322892 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well, after Boomer's post, I no longer believe that Anthony and Frank are brothers...

Reply #322894 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So, anyone reckon they'll be awake for the game at 1:30am SA time?

Reply #322895 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

I will be Beantown! FibaTV!

Reply #322896 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cool, I just bought a subscription. Hopefully it runs better than the US Russia game! Just caught the last couple of minutes but it was unwatchable. Probably doesn't matter but *SPOILER ALERT*

scroll down...

It only took a few Russkies for the US to go down on (er... to) someone. ;-)

Reply #322897 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

i didnt have any issues with watching the usa russia game.. stream hi def fine

Reply #322898 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, I was just unlucky I think AlexKrad. I usually stream games fine too. Hope I don't get shafted for the Emus game!

Reply #322899 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Haha, the commentator only mentioned Melbourne and Adelaide viewers! Guess he doesn't know about Sydney, Brissy, Perth, etc?

Reply #322900 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Australia playing very stagnent offense...

Need to pick it up, down 8-1 5min in

Reply #322901 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

and i did laugh at the commentators comment,

not to mention how they are pronouncing names

Reply #322902 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

hows your feed beantown? mines pretty average..

oh and bad foul call on creek! after the missed travel

Reply #322903 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Very very average first quater 22-12. Terrible offense, and defense wasnt much better.

And a bucket load of fouls too... refs are calling it super tight.

Greenwood with 6 the standout

Reply #322904 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, my feed has been pretty good. Not a good start from the Emus, but its mostly because we have no true bigs. VERY undersized team. We are going to have to force some more turnovers to get back into this. Cvetokic looks very assured for Serbia and they are getting all the shots they want round the basket.

Reply #322905 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

I didnt think we are doing to bad of a job defensively, but offensively we have been very average. Picking up this quater but still a ten point buffer. Drmic needs to get going

Reply #322906 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Doing a great job of cutting this lead. Down to 5 with Cvetokic still on the bench. Offense looking more up tempo, defense looking more intense

Reply #322907 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

We are trying hard defensively, but with no size under the basket, the Serbians are getting some nice easy layups. If their centre could play a bit more we'd be screwed.

At least we have some great shooters. Drmic and Greenwood have nice strokes and Iggy's shot might look weird but it is money. Loved his catch on the block and the turnaround rainmaker, nothin but net!

Reply #322908 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

half time Serbia 42 - Australia 38,,,

much better second qtr for australia. Offense much much better. Play like this for another half, they should get up

Reply #322909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live stream at

http://lightsportsgallery.blogspot.com/p/sport-tv-channels_17.html

Reply #322910 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Iggy shoots some serious rainbows, those things are like the polar opposite of j.holmes jumpshot!

My feed seemed to improve for the 2nd qtr, fingers crossed it stays that way!!

Reply #322911 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Any ideas if the other 1/4 finals will be able to be watched still? I know they archive games but im hoping to watch them tomorrow, any ideas??

Reply #322912 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Serbs still scored the same amount of points in the 2nd as they did in the first, but I reckon the bulk of their second quarter points came earlier on, before Cvetkovic went out. His 2nd foul and extended stint on the bench eventually hurt their half court offense.

In contrast, our hot shooting in the 2nd has us right back in it and we are now looking like we can win it. Up until 3 mins into the 2nd quarter I was pretty worried.

Its nice to see some young Aussies coming through who can really shoot it. Drmic, Iggy and Greenwood can all shoot the three well and put that with Bose and the Boomers have a nice pool of young shooters to address what I think has been the senior team's biggest problem for many years: horrible outside shooting!

Reply #322913 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Huge scoring error!!

Drmic was called for an offensive foul but it has been stuffed along the way and got given to creek instead and put him on 3 fouls!

Reply #322914 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not sure if the games are archived. Aussies got screwed with Creek being given Drmic's foul at the start of the 3rd. Refs obvuiously think all Aussies look the same!

Reply #322915 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Wow Greenwood picks up his third, then Technical for his fourth. Soft technical, but stupidity by Greenwood especially considering he is the captain and hot shooter at the moment.

Could be a huge turning point here

Reply #322916 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

FFS, now Greenwood has 4 fouls! I thought his reach in looked clean and then the ref was VERY quick to give him a tech for dissent. With two of Australia's big three on the bench, our reserves are going to have to come up big!

Reply #322917 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

I agree received a very quick technical, Not warranted in the 1/4 final for the current hot player.

And now Serbia push out to a 20 point lead.

Cotter needs to make something happen,

Greenwood back on the floor with 4 fouls.

Cant see Australia winning from here.....

Certainly not helped but some interesting refereeing, but aside from that they havent been able to contain Cvetkovic

Reply #322918 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Game over. Cvetkovic controlled things nicely again in the 3rd quarter and with Creek and Greenwood forced to sit, we lost our composure. Oh well, it was good to see those two guys, Iggy and Drmic to see how they play. There's four guys who have some nice potential for the Boomers down the track.

Reply #322919 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Creek needing to sit with his 3rd (or should I say Drmics foul) then Greenwood needing to sit with 4 really did kill the game for them.

Undisciplined but also bad refereeing/adminstration

Reply #322920 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Oh and one last thing before bed...

commentator = awful - id rather carfino!

Reply #322921 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice posting with ya Ammon. We didn't win, but it was nice to see what Greenwood in particular can do. He was shooting lights out and really lead the team well. I think he finished with something like 7/11 from downtown? Great effort anyway.

Reply #322922 | Report this post

I Spy  
Years ago

Believe it or not, one of referee's on the game did 7 playoff games in first two rounds of last NBA season won by Dallas.
Ceratinly didn't play well enough for the W, they got too many easy baskets, they did what they wanted offensivly.
our offence at times was just far too one dimensional and our guys couldn't create for themselves like serbia managd to.They shot at a fair clip too, think above 60% for pt field goals, always tuff to beat that.

Reply #322923 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Thanks Beantown, was good to know someone else is probably paying for it today like I am!

Greenwood did finish at 7/11 from three which Is super impressive.

Oh well plenty of reason still to watch!

Reply #322925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A shame, but that's the way things go. Croatia, USA and Australia all going out in the QFs - three of the favourites! Still, two important games to go against good teams, but having beaten Russia, Argentina and Brazil so far the guys have shown plenty.

Put one genuine big in the team and who knows what they might have done.

Reply #322927 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just wondering what difference Mitch Norton would have made? I think the commentator said he was our best player at the tournament last year? (U18s I guess?) I understand he would have been our starting PG, so assuming he is a lot better than Aldridge, you'd think he would have helped us counter Cvetkovic better.

It would also have helped our offence if Greenwood and even Iggy weren't forced to do PG duties. Greenwood did a decent job, but he is clearly more of a combo guard than a true point. Iggy was out of his depth trying to handle the ball so much.

Between not having a good PG and no true bigs, we did well to be in that game for most of it. IMO it shows the ability of our wing players: Greenwood, Creek and (to a lesser extent last night) of Drmic and Hadziomerovic.

Reply #322934 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Beantown, I agree.
I think the Emu's probably had the best depth at the 2,3 position with Hadziomerovic, Drmic and Greenwood.

If they had a 6"10-6"11 legit center, they could have made it alot further.

Interesting to see Argentina beat Croatia! Huge upset.
Although Croatia and Serbia did not make it to the SF's..it got me thinking..
How much would Yugoslavia dominate World Basketball these days if they still existed.
Croatia and Serbia have some tremendous players, and then youd have Slovenia (Goran Dragic and Sasha Vucajic)

Reply #322937 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

No doubt that a top 5 PF/C would make a difference, Ogilvy type but there wasnt one to be selected.

As good as he is, not sure Norton would have made that much difference. Aldridge is a very good PG, better than Norton at this stage. Pretty sure the backcourt rotation was our strong point anyway, Aldridge, Hadziomerovic, Drmic, Greenwood.

As for Yugo team, not sure they would dominate, as we saw with USA, it's not about having a team of stars!

Reply #322944 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Aldridge didn't impress me last night. Was he slated to start ahead of Norton at the start of the tournament? He scored a few times late once the game was done, but he was nonexistent earlier. In fact, he seemed to be on the bench a lot and Greenwood was being relied upon to play the point instead. Perhaps he is down on confidence at the moment?

Reply #322950 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

SixerFan, a Yugo team wouldn't have the same problems of a USA team because they generally play team basketball anyway.

Go back to the days of Petrovic, Kukoc and Divac. The teamwork there was unbelievable.

Teamwork is a fundamental aspect of Balkan Basketball (Croatia and Serbia).

Reply #322958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton was expected to be the backup, but his play was far better than Aldridge and he had taken the starting spot. Dont think he would have made the difference though, not unless he could have stopped fouls being called on Greenwood and Creek last night.

Reply #322964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Drmic is definately Frank's younger brother

Reply #322988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754