skip
Years ago

Townsville sign Elvin Mims

Townsville haved signed 6' 5" swingman Elvin Mims as their first import.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2011/july/crocs-sign-elvin-mims-1/

Topic #25875 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This lockout sure is bringing in some talent!

Reply #323400 | Report this post

Tigers Watcher  
Years ago

Wow what a signing!

Reply #323401 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Played this year on the same team as Gabe Freeman. Is this the Gabe Freeman that played for Townsville?

Bit worried for a SG/SF that shot 0/8 3s in 26 games in 2011. Must be a Penetrate first/ Pullup second type player.

Reply #323403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No surprises the Crocs didn't re-sign Blalock, as predicted.

Reply #323420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy isn't replacing Blalock, they play different positions.

Reply #323423 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Official Press Release with a link to some YouTube vision from this year.

http://www.nbl.com.au/crocodiles-home/news/article/2011/july/crocs-sign-elvin-mims/

He's got a 38" vertical leap - started out life as a SG but now swings between SF&PF. I think he'll come off the bench still and be a role player, not a star.

Reply #323437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think a few teams will go cheap with one import and then try for some lockout talent with the other spot.

Reply #323449 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Would be good if that is the case Isaac. I see in todays Tiser Amarae and KD are looking at playing over overseas. THese are teh guys I thought would be staying at home.

Maybe Mills can recommend the 36ers to some of the Blazers players - Roy, Aldridge, Wallace

Reply #323455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do you really think he will come off the bench DJ? He seems to me as someone, who while not a league leading scorer, will put up double figures, be damaging in transition, and top notch on the boards and defensively.

Given his record in the US and his history with Woolpert I find it hard to believe he would play behind Cedar. Of course, you are much closer to the situation than I, but Woolpert's comments that he will be the guy taking the big shots hints that he is going to have a major role.

Reply #323458 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

it's not who starts the game...

Reply #323464 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

It can be if the guy on the bench is better at defence and the opposition get 10pts up early...

Reply #323466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, I think Deron was smart to sign early. There are only going to be so many European clubs who can find $5m to get a top-tier star or sponsors who think it's worth the publicity. Obviously when the big name guys are signing, the trickle-down effect could be a bit more significant. I don't think an NBL team is going to get an NBA starter or main rotation player (though the Hawks almost had Jamario Moon the other year, and the Breakers got close to getting a name player at some point so someone might get lucky) but any Euro signings will put pressure on guys like Ervin and Mills to take what they can get. In theory anyway.

Reply #323475 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This Elvin Mims looks like a spud! Anyone for a wager on being sacked before Mid season?

Reply #323486 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think you would see a lot more Big to middle named NBA players landing in China as the sponsors (Nike, Reebok, Addidas) would think it would be better to their brand.

Reply #323487 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agree. Only way NBL teams would snag a big name player if they weren't concerned about $$$ and wanted to bring the family out for a holiday and to keep in shape. Only playing a game a week would not be that taxing on their bodies.

It would be good if the NBL could organise a 'one off' exemption for clubs to see if they can attract a third party to cover the cost of a wage for a big name and sit it outside the cap to promote some interest

Reply #323490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754