about time
Years ago

Lightning roster looks good this season

Lightning roster is almnost set, just one more position to fill. Finally we have a good roster that shold be finals material! Wonder who will get the last spot?

Article from yesterdays advertiser:

ADELAIDE Lightning has added prominent local guards Georgia Minear and Kelsey Ireland to its 2011-12 WNBL roster.
Both have been starring for their respective SBL teams with shooting-guard Minear fifth in league scoring with 17.2 points per game and Ireland quarterbacking competition leader Norwood into first place.

Both also have logged WNBL time at the AIS, with Ireland spending a further season on Adelaide's bench in 2009-10 before playing for new Lightning coach Peter Buckle at Townsville Fire last season.

"We're happy to have two young South Australians suiting up for Lightning," Buckle said.

"I coached Kelsey in Townsville and she was very good for us in the second half of the season. I'm really happy with Georgia too.

"She's a nice, athletic shooting guard. I've been doing some training sessions with her and like how's she's been coming along."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
It means the bulk of Buckle's revitalised Adelaide team is now settled with Angela Marino and Ireland its point guard options, Amy Lewis and Minear the shooting guards, Jenni Screen a multi-purpose swingman (swing-woman?), Jo Hill and Toni Edmondson in forward roles, Abby Bishop at power forward and Suzy Batkovic in the centre.

It leaves Adelaide with one spot to fill, most likely with another "big".

Buckle said official pre-season would tip-off on August 8 but he recognised some of his players had national, ABA and SBL commitments and would come in accordingly.

The team will have a mini-camp at Starplex in Gawler in September, culminating in matches against men's teams.

Topic #25917 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

With regard to one spot to fill , most likely a big
Could this be a place for Carla Borrego
who would miss the latter part of the Season
What do you think?

Reply #324315 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Heard Herrick from Norwood had a spot? Logged WNBL time at AIS and Sydney.

Reply #324316 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Definately need a back up centre/power forward. After Batkovic and Bishop, the team is small. Carla Borrego certainly would cover that spot, if the Thunderbirds allow it. Even if she only plays the first part of the season, it would then allow the Team to look at a backup big for the later part.

Reply #324327 | Report this post

Years ago

rather have borrego for part of season than herrick -it will be a back up spot

Reply #324342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marino will again have no competition in the point role which is disappointing.Good to see Minear get a spot though. Make or break season I feel for this team.

Reply #324348 | Report this post

Years ago

Disagree - not a make or break season.

every season is important.

Reply #324356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i will be very surprised if that last spot doesnt go to Nadeen Payne

Reply #324443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

payne has already signed with Townsville

Reply #324456 | Report this post

marion jones has been cut by tulsa - maybe she would consider playing a season in the wnbl ?

Reply #324905 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754