ANON12
Years ago

Adelaide misses out on Boomers games again

Announced on the BA website that the Boomers and Opals will play Double-Header Oceania Championships matches against New Zealand in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Adelaide misses out again. I wonder if BSA knew about the matches or were they even asked to bid for the games? IMO BA see Adelaide as a non-event for this type of event even though we have the best purpose built basketball stadium in Australia.

Topic #25939 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane ... Trying to create/increase basketball interest in lead up to new NBL and possibly WNBL teams in 2012/2013

Melbourne ... Biggest basketball participation numbers in the country. Trying to create/increase basketball interest in lead up to new NBL team in 2012/13

Sydney ... Biggest population in Australia, trying to create/increase interest in basketball so the Kings get the support they need.

From a business point of view they're playing the games exactly where they need to be played. Why come to Adelaide?

Reply #324669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why indeed

Reply #324674 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

They did play here last year against Argentina.

Reply #324675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm from Adelaide and I'd schedule Melbourne and Sydney first, then maybe Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide as the third option. Nothing to be horrified or surprised about.

Reply #324680 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

"They did play here last year against Argentina."

Yeah, I could have sworn that Adelaide got included in the last round of International games whereas others missed out... Plenty of cities for games to be played, so nothing to whinge about really... Unless you're a FNQ fan :)

Reply #324683 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think the fact that Adelaide isn't getting games is a sign of the strength of basketball in the state.
A reason for putting games in Brisbane and Sydney is because they want to attract bigger basketball fan bases in those areas.

Fortunately, South Australia already has a great fan base and the 36ers have a huge following.

So definitely could be seen as "a blessing in disguise" (Signals the strength of Basketball in SA)

Reply #324687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with isaac. sucks in a way though as adelaide fans have always had very strong nbl crowds and feel we deserve a boomers game when they come around. but so does perth and townsville and cairns. and i understand thats obviously not how business decisions are made

Reply #324688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was a crime to have nothing in adelaide from 2000 to about 2008 or 2009 or so but have atleast seen Iran and Argentina the last few years. Shame that when good teams come they leave all their best players behind as Australia is such a long way away and the games (exceot against NZ) mean nothing eg. Argentina bringing their C team.

Reply #324689 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

It does suck but I understand. Hopefully we get a game next year in the Olympic year when we have Irving and Bogut playing

Reply #324702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also don't think Adelaide is the guaranteed pinnacle of basketball crowds any more. Still get some atmosphere during the best bits of 36ers games, but after some lean years the crowd seems a bit iffy these days. I went to a Kings-36ers game last year and even though the Kings had a wooden spoon year, the crowd was really into it, a decent size, there were a few celebrities around and appreciating their seats and the game and the atmosphere was decent for what was not a brilliant, memorable game on court.

Sometimes I wonder if Adelaide fans might be more appreciative of what we have if the team had spent a year or so out of the league.

Reply #324703 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Tickets on sale now (Victorian release)

2011 FIBA OCEANIA CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Game 1 - Wednesday 7 September - State Netball Hockey Centre (Melb.)
5.15pm Opals
7.30pm Boomers
Tickets: Ticketmaster - 13 61 00 OR www.ticketmaster.com.au
ADULT: Gold - $39.00, Silver - $32.00 Bronze - $25.00
JUNIOR 14 YEARS & UNDER: Gold - $15.00, Silver - $15.00, Bronze - $15.00
CONCESSION - STUDENT/PENSIONER/SENIOR CARD HOLDER: Gold - $25.00, Silver - $20.00
FAMILY PASS: Gold - $97.00, Silver - $85.00, Bronze - $72.00

Game 2 – Friday 9 September - Brisbane Entertainment Centre
5.15pm Opals
7.30pm Boomers
Tickets: Ticketek - 132-849 OR www.ticketek.com
ADULT: A-Reserve - $30.00, B-Reserve - $22.00
JUNIOR 3-15 YEARS: A-Reserve - $20.00, B-Reserve - $15.00
CONCESSION - STUDENT/PENSIONER/SENIOR CARD HOLDER: A-Reserve -$25.00, B-Reserve - $18.00
FAMILY PASS: A-Reserve - $75.00, B-Reserve - $60.00

Game 3 – Sunday 11 September – Sydney Entertainment Centre
4.00pm Boomers (Subject To Change)
6.15pm Opals (Subject To Change)
Tickets: Ticketmaster 1300 883 622 OR www.ticketmaster.com.au
ADULT: A-Reserve - $30.00, B-Reserve - $22.00
JUNIOR 3-15 YEARS: A-Reserve - $20.00, B-Reserve - $15.00
CONCESSION - STUDENT/PENSIONER/SENIOR CARD HOLDER: A-Reserve -$25.00, B-Reserve - $18.00
FAMILY PASS: A-Reserve - $75.00, B-Reserve - $60.00

Reply #325263 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Julius Hodge shook it - broke it , then he.
6,500 on a Wednesday nite.
9,000 to see Maher's last game.
Don't spose we'll see those numbers agen,
unless we gotta a game breaker , that stayed here for a coupla seasons.

Reply #325285 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754