DJ Rod
Years ago

NBL PG quality

The Point Guard spot is easily the most talented position across the board this season with a quality player in every team (except Woll who are still to fill that spot with an import).

Fans will get to see a GREAT match up every single game this year at the PG spot... have a look:

Cairns: Jamar Wilson*
Townsville: Eddie Gill*
Gold Coast: Adam Gibson
Sydney: Bruce/Martin/Cooper (easily the least talented)
Wollongong: unsigned import
Perth: Damian Martin
Adelaide: Chris Warren*
Melbourne: Ayinde Ubaka*
New Zealand: Cedric Jackson*

When you look at the list, 6 of the 9 are/could be stud imports, 2 are national team players and then the PG by committee at Sydney.

Topic #26058 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Rod, think it's another case of "On paper: Yes, In reality, ?".

To be honest, I thought DeVries and Winder on paper were an excellent tandom. In reality it started well, then faded out fast.

In other cases, like Sydney; there was an opposite effect where there was improvement as the season went on.

Hopefully there's a bit more consistency from imports this season.

Reply #326219 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

apart from the last couple of years..........

and back in the glory days..................

how many teams would have a chosen a PG import. Now days it seems more likely.

Ricky Grace springs to mind

Was in common practice like it seems to be now back in the hay day.

Reply #326223 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

NBL = small ball

would love to see some serious bigs come into our league.

cal bruton certainly stamped his brand on the nbl back then.
his run & gun style of play was a hit with the fans and has stayed a big part of the fans expectations on the p/g in our league.

i feel it is still one of the main reason the boomers get smashed on the BIG international pick and rolls.

our women play a style closer to the international game locally,which shows in their results.

Reply #326246 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

warren looks like the next gary ervin but lower the scoring. Eddie Gill is my pick to be the best out of those or maybe jamar wilson

Reply #326264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the nbl will always struggle to attract quality bigs simply because of the dollars they can get overseas. even the cream of our local big fellas command decent money in europe. as nice as it would be to have andersen, ogilvy, maric, neilsen etc etc... we will never compete with even the lower level leagues.

i think we have a good quality league considering these restrants and i think we are improving as a comp.

Reply #326343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really, most leagues struggle for genuine quality bigs. The NBA and the few really rich Euro clubs secure almost all of them.

Where some leagues compensate by getting big guys who arent so good, a lot of NBL clubs go for 4/5s with a versatile skill set (Knight, Davidson, Ballinger, Wilkinson etc). So the biggest difference between NBL frontlines and your run of the mill European club is not height, but the fact NBL teams have versatile players where more European teams go for strength and power.

Reply #326365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eddie best guard in NBL, nobody else is even close

Reply #335371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's see how he goes against Perth this Saturday.

Reply #335383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754