Anonymous
Years ago

Cameron Wilson tech?

looking through the stats does anyone know why cameron Wilson got a tech? i always thought he was a quite player. Something really must of happened

Topic #2608 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

he was looking to get the inbound, and a guy ran into him and they both fell on the floor. the ref wasn't looking so he called a double foul. cam was jsut standing there and he got run into so he had a word with the ref, i dunno what he said but he got a tech for it. I think it was just a make up call, because Krause for norwood got a soft tech early in the game. I thought the umpiring for that game was poor anyway, neither tech fouls should of been called

Reply #29236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who were the 2 refs doing that game

Reply #29239 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

It's called zero tolerance, my friend, and some refs will always mis-use it.

Reply #29241 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Actually anon #29236 ..

Both teams were warned early about talking to the ref's and bad language ( Sh*t, F*** etc ..) Wilson was talking a fair bit .. so im not surprised about the tech and its speed !

Best one of the night was Krause who was tech 'd after a time-out because Ben McDonald (he and his dad reffed) wanted to give him an un-sportsmanlike foul but he ran off to the huddle before he could get to it.
Krause asked him what it was for .. as did Sapwell and McDonald said .. " you got away from me with that last one ... i should have got you 2 mins ago .. that is what it was for !! " ... KE ????

Pretty poor .. it is sad when a referee tries to become the focal point of the game .. He tried to dominate both coaches and some of the players with game stopages and team warnings that were superfluous.
Lift your game !

Reply #29242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing worse than refs who are above the game and who think that they are also above talking to players.

The best refs are those that understand that ball is an emotional game and that talk to and relate to players accordingly.

Ben Mcdonald is a classic case of how not to ref and interact with players. He instantly puts players off due to his lack of people skills.

Reply #29249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make no mistake, ben mcdonald is one of the worst refs in the game. he makes fairly good judgements on most calls, but his interaction with the players and coaches is like he is a bloody child. the tech foul on krause was a joke, and the double foul....dear me, januske came in a took out wilson totally unfairly, and mcdonald looks over and sees them both on the ground....double foul.....good one!!
get some interpersonal skills you clown!!

Reply #29251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yet he's still ranked one of the best refs in S.A.

All you anon posters must be those few ranked about him; hmmmmmm no I think not.

Reply #29253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 teams actually put in official complaints about this clown last year for those exact reasons

Reply #29257 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I think it's spelt Benn...

Get off the guys back. At least he is out there doing it. We need more people as dedicated to the game as Benn and the other officials!

Reply #29290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all i can think is that junior ref's see this and think omg it never stops it just gets worse

why should i go any further why do i need the crap

Reply #29302 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

All you faceless people. At least Benn and his dad our aout there trying to help the game.

Who did the reports get put in to last year? What action was taken.

I believe after an incident in a junor game Benn was counselled concerning his behaviour.

Reply #29304 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

I do not think you should post about referees, but has a referee posted about a coach or player on this forum? Has it all been positive?

Reply #29325 | Report this post

faceless person  
Years ago

The complaints were put into the referees director and no action was taken, what a surprise!
Stand to be corrected but think it was Sturt, West and Easterns mens teams.

Reply #29344 | Report this post

Manute's G-String  
Years ago

Agree wuth anon.
From what I've seen of Benn, perhaps Old McDonald should take his boy back to the farm.

Reply #29352 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

Well faceless person, there was no referee director for a lot of the ABA season last year and Nathan Durant assisted, He would have had to hand it over to the Referees Commission or the Referees Coaches. Perhaps it went to Colin Thompson and it got lost in the paper war in his office. I believe he has a report of a coach acting poorly towards an official after a junior game and guess what no action has been taken just like the Norwood players who we reported for the incident at the Norwood carnival.

Reply #29377 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

For what it's worth, I reckon Benn's a good referee. We can't all be Earl Strom. Give the guy a break.

Reply #29386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well, they have to be good to be an ABA referee. i just think he's probably the worst ABA ref.

Reply #29497 | Report this post

jezza  
Years ago

refs need to learn there place and forget living there lack of game through umpiring and penalising those who have game, im sure with a lot of refs its a case of bitterness in some regards as to not being able to play at a high level. that whistle is like a gun to a police officer, its there little piece of authority.

Reply #29524 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Getting all negative at the Refs again folks. I'll try and bring some positives back in. Basically the first time the Refs of the South v Mavs Women's game were noticed was when one had to go off with a Nose Bleed. Besides that little incident, hardly noticed them and isn't that waht they are supposed to be there for. Hardly heard a bad word from either group of spectators. Well done Alex & Peter (oops Paul!)

Reply #29526 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

jezza - its attitude like that, that spawns negativity through our junior ranks. You cannot categorically pigeon hole ref's like that! Especially ABL level umps.

I started umpiring because i wasn't happy with the standard, and i endevour to help junior umpires, not because of any bitterness, or lack of game. Alot of umpires i know are in a similar situation.

Sounds like you take the refs for granted, without them, there is no game. It takes alot of balls to become a top level ref, ignorant people like you simply couldn't hack it. Stop being so ungrateful, grab a whistle and prove me wrong.

Reply #29529 | Report this post

jezza  
Years ago

so do you honestly go into a game not disliking any players? its human nature to turn against someone who is attacking you and that is exactly what some ref's not all do in our league. nathan wielan, wayne, phil, filmer, are some that spring to mind that do a good job of keeping there own feelings/thoughts aside from the game but there are many who dont which tends to upset the game and the players.

Reply #29534 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

jezza, some refs are baller, not many, but some.

Dr D, "without them, there is no game" not entirely true...there aint no refs in pickup... but i still feel ya.

Reply #29535 | Report this post

Benn McDonald  
Years ago

I am writing this post to set the record straight....

I have not been disciplined after officiating junior games. The only time I have ever been disciplined was as a player after an U20's game back in 1997.

Just wanted to set the record straight.... and a warning - be careful what you write.. it does get seen!

I do my job because I have built the skills over 16 years of doing it to do it well and to do it fair.
Not to make friends.... If players and coaches wish to 'play the referees' and throw their weight around on the court and get frustrated, I will do what I feel I need to do to keep the game under control and let it be a game of basketball.

In fact, the two people I gave Technical fouls to on Saturday night are two blokes that I have high amounts of respect for... I have known them for many years in Basketball and have played with and against both of them. In fact, I respect all sports people no matter what team or sport the play in. As I understand the high stress levels involved in attempting to gain success.

And hey, I am the type of guy that goes onto the floor and it is business - and it is kind of like when I played, some games are better than others... but whatever the case, in the last 4 years of my officiating I believe I am developing and continue to develop in such away that no matter how I am officiating, it is fair and consistent - that way the game is never effected.

Oh, and I also am one of those types of people that understand when the game begins and ends and when it is business time and social time.

GUYS....
I don't mind if you wish to talk about my Technical fouls or what you think of my officiating - hey good on you for getting on this site and showing how much you love your sport....

BUT BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WRITE.
DON'T WRITE LIES about any sort of action that may or in this case may not have been taken.

Reply #30042 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Regardless of all of this which has been said in this thread I would like to challange all players involved in Basa to undertake a referee's course (level 0)
I believe there is no cost and SA needs more officials working games. At the very least it would help players to understand what some of the refs are thinking on the floor - to me there are very few new officials coming through apart from young children... what are peoples thoughts on this - Is any Aba players game to go out and try there hand at a under 12's game???

Reply #30047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey benn, doess yourr namme realllly havve ttwo 'n's inn itt ??

Reply #30050 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Bennnnnnnnnnnnnn

Reply #30052 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Too bloody right, Benn. This whole post started out about Cameron Wilson, and then denegerated into a referee/Benn McDonald slugfest. Dude - stick it to 'em, find out who these people are, and get revenge out on the court. Every 50/50 call should go against them for at least the next year.

Yes folks, I'm kidding.

Reply #30071 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754