Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL Team leaving in 2012

Got word that a few Vic team looking to pull out of SEABL to go back to the big v. Apparently it is Dandy, Nunawading, Sandy & Frankston.

It dilutes the seabl comp massively if it is the case!

Topic #26082 | Report this topic

come on!  
Years ago

Nah, no issue
four teams back to Big V means room for another Qld Team, a WA team, a SA team and a team from NSW

Then SEABL becomes the NBL development league

Eazy

Reply #326487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you're the man with the answers come on!

Reply #326490 | Report this post

come on!  
Years ago

man with the answers you say, well honestly I don't know but it would seem like a good plan for a national comp similar to the NBA development league don't you think?

Reply #326491 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

where did this "word" come from??

Reply #326503 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He made it up!

Reply #326505 | Report this post

Garbage man  
Years ago

You can forget any of those clubs going to BIG V. What a load of hogwash!!!! Will not happen.

Reply #326507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few people around big V circles are talking about it. I know would be half a chance after whats been happening there this year.

Reply #326514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think they're leaving SEABL, but I think you'll find they are going to combine the D-League, with the Big V Youth League next season, making an U23's competition.

I like the idea, could be a great standard of game. Depends on if teams are putting their eggs in the U23 basket, or trying to compete with their Championship team.

Reply #326525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the womens Sandy and Franger should go as Sandy have done nothing since joining a few years back and Franger have been struggling for some time now. But Nuna are always around the mark and Dandy are the reigning champs and second this season so far so not a chance they're going anywhere! If anything should have SEABL as the A grade and BIG V as the B grade with the bottom team in SEABL each year relegated to Big V and the Big V premiers move into the SEABL.

Reply #326529 | Report this post

Dinga  
Years ago

How does that work for teams from interstate?

Reply #326530 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If you put together the D-League teams together with the top 6/8 Youth League team that would be a cracking comp!!

Big V Youth League Teams: DV, Eltham, Ringwood, Hume, Melbourne, Waverley, Geelong, Sherbrooke

D-League Teams: Knox, Bendigo, Nuna, Kilsyth, Sandy, Dandy, Ballarat, Frana

You could have 2 conferences.

Split the conferences on regions i.e

Sth East & Nth West

Sth East: Ringwood, Knox, Sandy, Dandy, Sherbrooke, Kilsyth, Frana, Waverley

Nth West: DV, Eltham, Hume, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Melbourne, Nuna (got the short straw in the Nth West pool to even up split between comps)

Finals would be top 4 from each confernece & to spice it up your could run a relegation play-off with the bottom team from each division playing to stay up in the premier comp

The premier Youth league 2 pushed up into the premier Youth division.

Reply #326533 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

But been told by a number of people that Nunawading are keen to come back to Big V (Due to Financial issues) and the other forementoined clubs have expressed an interest to the Big V in coming back into the league.

I guess the SEABL would suffer as a result but in the current turbulent economic times the clubs have to look at the viability of playing SEABL compared with Big V. From a pure competition stand point if a number of clubs defect the level of competition between the two comps won't be huge, the big difference being the crack imports & extra professionalism of the SEABL comp.

Possible Big V Line-up

Nuna, Eltham, Waverley, Sandy, Ringwood, Hume, Dandy, Melbourne, DV & Frana + maybe Sherbrooke** (doubtful if those clubs drop back)

Bulleen are closed for business in 2012 already so they won't make the cut.

That line-up of clubs looks like a really solid list of clubs and would certainly increase the level of play in the Big V.

Reply #326540 | Report this post

those four teams would not go back to the Big V even if they paid them to !!!!

Reply #326544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading would only drop down due to poor financial management and player payments.Theyve been in trouble the last two seasons but seem to keep paying the salaries.

Reply #326547 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, what do you mean about Bulleen 'closing up shop' in 2012?

Reply #326548 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

so which one of these leagues will the sixers end up putting a development team into?

They nearly put one in this year!

Reply #326554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Sherbrooke drop down from CM if they came over? They made the finals this year.

Reply #326566 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

These rumors are obviously started by the Big V. Its all about quantity with them, not quality like in SEABL!

Reply #326567 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

SEABL is the best run comp in the country, why would you want to go to a comp that only has 2 or 3 competitive teams at Championship level??

Reply #326568 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The BigV was firing in the mid 2000's, lost their GM and then lost their way. Back then, teams were leaving the SEABL and joining BigV (broncos, rangers), becuase the league was considered to be better run, more professional from a media point of view and more innovative (remmeber the BigV team going to the Blitz and taking on the Dragons? - ideas the SEABL later deployed).

My read is that administratively and promotion wise the BigV has got its act together again but I would be really surprised if this happened.

The SEABL have absolutely re-established their tier 2 status to the NBL, which was in doubt when they were being run close by BigV teams at ABA finals and losing to Qld teams in the finals of those events.

Reply #326570 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think you'll find it isn't about playing in the best comp for a few of the teams mentioned but more to do with the associated costs of playing SEABL.

Extra SEABL Costs
I.e Two Imports, Travel, Player costs, Coaching just to name a few areas.

Despite what people might think if your club can save $50K a year in the above areas it really can help balance the books of a club and put money into other areas of junior development.

Reply #326637 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I'd be very surprised if a team from WA can play in the SEABL or a D-League any time soon. Too many $$$ getting everyone across to the east coast every other weekend.

Reply #326890 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

WA won't have a team or SA just can't justify the costs.

Mt Gamiber is as far west as the comp will go.

Even the team in Brisvegas is churning thru the $$.

Funny that no Syd teams are in the competition when they are the largest population base in the SEABL catchment area!

Reply #326902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

BA planning second tier under NBL

(Be interested in seeing who gets the triple double
in BigV grand final on sunday.
Adrien Sturt or Cameron Tragardh.
probably Sturt.)

Reply #327008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U certainly like Sturt!

He has had a huge finals seris numbers wise, compared to regular season, I know Camel 31 wants him in a 36er's uniform!

Reply #327168 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754