Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL Finals Week 2

Women:

Norwood - West @ Mars 6:30
Norwood have worked hard this season and deserve their minor premiership. West almost let the game slip last week with a third quarter brain fade, but came back hard against a depleted Sturt in the fourth to earn the first crack at Norwood. Their 59 points was their lowest winning score all season and they will need to work a lot harder this week to have any chance of a win. It'll get down to who is crisper with their passes, and who wants to play in the Grand Final more. Simon says his girls want to, so Simon says "book a spot in the GF".

Sturt-Eagles @ Pasadena 6:30
Sturt shooting 27% from the field is not like them (even with a few stars missing) and they seem a different team without Madgen. Forestville should be buying a lottery ticket. The Lions threw away a season's effort last week when they shot as straight as a compass in the Bermuda Triangle in the final quarter to gift the Eagles another win straight from the jaws of defeat. No fairytale for the Lionesses this season. On paper, this should be a tight game. The Eagles need to make the most of their run of luck if they want to go any further this season. Sturt have got them on two strikes and this game looks like it should be another strike. Normally, Sturt should knock them off, but Forestville’s luck at the moment and with Madge away, don’t be surprised if the local fans choke on their prawn cocktails as Forestville manage another escape from the gallows. Can Forestville's luck last much longer?

Men

Norwood-Eagles @ Mars 8:15
Norwood enjoyed the week off last week with the Eagles playing in a game that sounded as pretty as a middle aged Bulgarian transvestite. Full marks to Forestville though who got control of the game early, worked as a team and dished out 26 assists to basically control the game from the first whistle. The Eagles play an exciting, fast brand of basketball and the only chink in the Norwood armour is that they have a few old codgers who run the risk of cramping up after the week’s break. Call for the rub down! It’ll be pretty hot at the “Cauldron” this week and the Norwood men will be under pressure to follow the women into the GF, which is something they should do, albeit with extreme resistance from Forestville.

Sturt-West @ Pasadena 8:15
Sturt were chasing Forestville all game last week and Darren’s 38 points were not enough to secure a win. I am told that Rupert Murdoch has personally sacked 7,400 people over his career, most of us are only lucky enough to sack between 1 and 5! Last week West sacked North by 25 points. This week they will try to sack Sturt at home, a feat worthy of the glories of Rome. This will not be a game for the soft hearted and Adelaide Brighton Cement a sponsoring a spoonful of cement per player. I expect that Sturt will use their young guns to foul strategically to make West earn every point from the stripe, and West will dish out justice, western suburbs style. This is the match of the round and although Sturt won the last time these two teams met, but West are right in this contest tonight. Every call crucial - refs with seeing eye dogs need not apply. I think the pointy elbowed Sturt to win in an absolute boil over. Looking for another come from behind buzzer beater to sink SS West.

Topic #26104 | Report this topic

annon  
Years ago

Great work Jack.....you should replace Boti at The Advertiser and then I would start buying it again!!!

Great games this week and a great write up

Reply #326865 | Report this post

Oberon  
Years ago

Forestville women without Monz Bello might be the difference.

Reply #326871 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Hahahaha...."sounded as pretty as a middle aged Bulgarian transvestite"...GOLD!

Reply #326876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Jack, you picked against West men last week too..

Reply #326880 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, I am hoping that'll be like a stick of dynamite in an orifice and give them a boost.

Reply #326889 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I think I saw that Bulgarian transvestite at the game last week! It put me off the Prawn Cocktail...

Reply #326905 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

so no bello for eagles, sabres without m bowley and madgen - will balance things up a bit - will be a close game

Reply #326914 | Report this post

Comeback  
Years ago

Don't count Bello out yet...

Reply #326923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told Herrick was an out for Norwood as well...

Reply #326924 | Report this post

Years ago

only going by oberon comments - if bello plays the eagles will win - easily.

Reply #326926 | Report this post

SSTomatin  
Years ago

No wonder the Sheep carrier "Al Messilah" came back into Harbour,they didnt want to miss the West v Sturt match.Spadevecchia vs Holmes rematch

Reply #326938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood x2

Reply #326964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes will school spud. Sturt to win by 30

Reply #326970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jack u are a STAR. better than most pro journos

Reply #326976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood women are down 2. ackroyd who did her knee 2 weeks ago. herrick is also very doubtful. hasnt trained the last 2 weeks. definately leaves a big hole in the middle for webber to have a big game!

Reply #326998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOthing like a big hole in the middle!

Reply #327009 | Report this post

Norwood Stats  
Years ago

For those who care, we should have WebCasting back up and running tonight. Attempts to resolve the issues appear to have worked in non-game situation testing.

I make no absolute guarantees that it will work, but all signs appear to be promising.

Reply #327165 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Congrats to those involved in getting the Webcasts running again. Couldn't make it to a game tonight. The Flames Bearcats women's game looked like it was a game for the ages and the Eagles seem in to have hit their straps at the right time of the year. Be interested to see the reviews.

Reply #327219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Norwood V West Women's game was worthy of a grand final great game, great game one of the best games I have seen for ages.

Reply #327224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt choked in both games tonight

Reply #327235 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Norwood men were very, very good tonight. Forestville were not bad at all but Norwood were cruising. I would expect the Prelim to be a shoot off with West and Forestville but I definitely think we'll see another Eagles vs Flames GF blockbuster!

Reply #327237 | Report this post

Curious George  
Years ago

Was anyone @ the Norwood v West womens game? Just checked the live stats and looks like there was a foul on Foley with 2 seconds to go to put her on the line when it was tied 69-69. Surely better to let it go into OT than put Foley on the line but given I wasnt there there might have been a good reason.

Can anyone give details?

Reply #327249 | Report this post

Ref  
Years ago

Lets just say would have been good for the players to decide such a fantastic game...

Reply #327250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

terrible call!

nothing more the defensive player could've done.

umpire's should not put themselves in the position where they decide the entire outcome of a game.

unfortunate way to end such a fantastic game by both teams.

Reply #327256 | Report this post

Curious George  
Years ago

Right well that makes perfect sense. How disappointing. Well best of luck to West next week. Hopefully they get the W and get a second crack at it. And hopefully this time the game isn't decided by 1 umpiring decision.

Reply #327258 | Report this post

Years ago

sturt were never going to win the womens game with no mons and tess madgen.

with them they would have won.

Reply #327259 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Don't think given free throw count 32-9 in West's favour that you can say one call decided the game.

Reply #327260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

although west should've definitely capitalised on going to the line.

when it's 69-69 in double overtime with 2 seconds to go.. calling a foul when a player fumbles the ball because of solid good defence (literally hands up).

that does decide a game.

better not make that call and make them fight out for another 5 minutes.

Reply #327261 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Hands were up, but the reason the ball was fumbled was because the West player was moving SIDEWAYS. Hands can be up all you like if you illegally block the players path its a blocking foul everytime regardless.

The time on the clock and score on the board should NEVER effect the referees decision. If the call is there it should be made.

Reply #327266 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Was Truslove's elbow to defender's head a fair response to continual harassment throughout the game or a blatant unsportsmanlike foul?

Reply #327268 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Depends on the contest I guess but usually a blatant elbow is a straight unsportsmanlike. A similar situation in the Norwood v West Womens game. Webber was receiving alot of attention and threw a sharp elbowing connecting with the Norwood defenders head, forcing her to the bench. IMO should have been a straight unsportsmanlike but I guess most referees make the call based on how aggressive the elbow was..

Reply #327270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes 1/15 lol

Reply #327271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men looked awesome!!

Reply #327272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh good on the person who said Holmes will school spud!!! Clearly not!

Reply #327277 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Just wanted to say as well, the atmosphere at Mars for both the women and mens games were phenomenal! Mars was pretty much packed out with plenty of juniors from all 3 teams which really added to the night!

Reply #327278 | Report this post

Mimas  
Years ago

Err holmes looked helpless with 4 points +8 rebounds ,Ng 3 point @ 20%(team total was 11%) .Sturt Croach looked like his head was going to explode 2nd qtr LOL.
West superiority blew out the lead in 2nd qtr,sturt fired up 3rd Qtr but finishing was lacking polish.
I could hear the victory song clear across the stadium.

Reply #327282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at box scores at Men Flames shot at 42.9% from the 3 and 60.7% overall. Theyre gonna be tough to be whilst there shooting like that.

Also noticed 52 fouls in last nights game....

Reply #327292 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Trruslove is always all elbows. Only way she knows how to play.

"Continual harrasment" can only be written by a West fan. The amount of holding done by Truslove and locking up of the oppositions arms was laughable.

The elbow that connected with Shierlaw's nose was pure frustration that a young pup clearly had the older one's number last night. Shierlaw's efforts in the absence of Ackroyd and Herrick is a key reason why Norwood won.

Reply #327320 | Report this post

consistency  
Years ago

WEBBER!!! Maybe if WEBBER wasnt pushed, whacked and hacked all game she wouldnt of thrown the elbow out of, yes, frustration.
But what else would you expect ALL BIGS in every team get hit the same way every week and the umpires let it go.

Yes west did have alot of free throws but norwood fouled alot and considering the foul count was 26-21 it wasnt alot of favouring.

And that last foul on McLeod, ok yes was a foul but if he called that one then all the norwood players shouldve been fouled off for doing it all game and getting away with it. Someone like Durant should know how to be consitent and not call a game deciding call in such an important game (in other words unless it was a massive foul [for either team] he shouldnt have called it and let the teams go and battle it out for another 5 mins)

But on a positive note both teams played brilliant games and I hope to see it repeated in what will hopefully be a grand final for the ages.

Reply #327331 | Report this post

mmm  
Years ago

durrant enough said - big game call by a little man
no call surely and game decided by players
thats what we want.
refs shouldnt be game breakers

Reply #327345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Shierlaws 4 points and 6 rebounds obviously was match winning over Webbers 22 and 16......

Jess Foley was the match winner on Sat night, she is a class above the rest.

Reply #327370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, sheirlaw did ok in patches and stood up and took a hit for the team, but she wasn't strong enough under the basket hence webber getting 22 points. all she had to do was turn and shoot.

great team effort from norwood to stay in the game and different players stepping up at different times. Walker-Roberts 3 was HUGE!

Reply #327372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should it be noted that the head ref who was watching the game, admitted AFTER the game that the last call was wrong?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

hopefully West get past forestville this week to have another crack. if they do it'll be one heck of a GF!

Reply #327398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone see the norwood womens player flip the bird to the ref? funny stuff! lucky none of the refs spotted that one

Reply #327401 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Gotta ask, what was the player guarding foley like that for anyway???? It was far too risky.

She could have played well inside foley and not made contact at all, given they were not losing, at the time.

Reply #327407 | Report this post

balance beam  
Years ago

Meg showed her in experience I believe

Reply #327411 | Report this post

consistency  
Years ago

west werent winning the score was 69-69
and she wasnt even defending she had her hands up and was backing out of foley's way. Foley was the one with her head down driving into Mcleod

Reply #327413 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Consistency
Correct they weren't winning, but at that point they couldn't lose, without a miracle shot.

A tied situation, just pushes the clock out another 5
minutes.

It was most certainly a foul, as she was pushing sideways into the offense.

Reply #327415 | Report this post

balance beam  
Years ago

I agree with Wam Meg's hands may have been up but she made the contact. it was a game going into overtime till that foul, you live you learn. West had the best of the umpiring all night even getting the ball advanced in the last overtime after their time out when the clock was showing 2.38, you can only advance the ball in the last two mintues I believe. West should have won it in regulation time, should have won it in the first overtime.

Reply #327420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would any of you back off jess foley with 9 seconds to go?

that might be a miracle shot for a normal player but for foley it's not.

Reply #327424 | Report this post

consistency  
Years ago

agree with anon
you dont step off one of the best shooters in the league with couple of seconds left

yes there was a foul but not a big enough one to call to decide the game and as i said before durant should know not to call that sort of foul in the dying seconds in an important game

Reply #327427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

balance beam,

Art 17.2.4

During the last two (2) minutes of the fourth period and during the last two (2) minutes of each extra period, following a time-out taken by the team that is entitled to possession of the ball from its backcourt the throw-in shall be administered at the throw-in line opposite the scorer's table in the team’s frontcourt.

So the referees were correct to advance the ball!

Reply #327438 | Report this post

sigh  
Years ago

438 you just proved that the referees were incorrect to advance the ball.
Only in the last 2 minutes of any extra period is the ball advanced according to that article. There was 2:40 left.

Reply #327442 | Report this post

Credit  
Years ago

I believe balance beam said there was 2.38left on the clock in which case the ball should not have been advanced! Nice of you to quote the rule but read properly first

Reply #327443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am the above Anon.
I wasn't at the game. But if we look at what balance beam posted, it did not state seconds or minutes.
If it was minutes, then please disregard my earlier post and accept my apologies!

Reply #327460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nothing else this thread proves just how difficult refereeing is and why we need them.

So many people who claim to have seen the one situation yet no resolution as to if it was a foul or not.

I can't understand why those referees even bother with all you keyboard experts here ready to pick at every call they make.

Reply #327461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can referees pleaase stop posting.

Reply #327469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754