Isaac
Years ago

Ballinger named 36ers captain, Crosswell VC

The Adelaide 36ers has named 205-centimetre forward Adam Ballinger as captain and Nathan Crosswell as vice captain for the upcoming 2011/2012 iiNet National Basketball League season.

Marty Clarke, Head Coach, Adelaide 36ers said Ballinger and Crosswell were the logical choices and it was a unanimous decision by the club.

"Adam and Nathan are both great players that show leadership both on and off the court. This is a very important quality for the captain and vice captain. They are mentors and role models for some of the younger players on the team," said Marty Clarke.

Adam Ballinger, the 2010 Adelaide 36ers MVP will lead the team as captain for the fourth consecutive season, taking the honour from the legendary Brett Maher. Ballinger was consistently Adelaide's leading player in 2010/2011 and his form saw him awarded his fourth MVP with the club. He has brought his own style to the job, not necessarily being the most vocal person but putting in the hard work behind the scenes.

“I am honoured once again to be captain of the Adelaide 36ers. I feel like I'm the kind of guy that players can come to with any concerns, both playing and otherwise," said Adam Ballinger.

Ballinger said the club is doing everything right to set itself up for a successful campaign this season with the new team finding their feet together as a playing group. This was on display over the weekend with the double victory over the Cairns Taipans.

“I am looking forward to hitting the court with the guys soon with my rehabilitation plan all on track.”

Topic #26307 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Congratulations to both men.

Reply #330709 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Crosswell, wow!
Would have thought someone that has been here longer than an off season would get the vc gig.

So Crosswell is our captain for round 1?

Reply #330714 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Never a great Crosswell fan when he was at the Tigers. Too erratic and too much dribble. He has looked more mature at Sandringham and shown leadership qualities.

Reply #330716 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Logical and good decisions in my opinion.

Congrats Gents!

Reply #330718 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ballinger is the obvious choice for captain.
Who else would get the vice captain other than Crosswell?
Ng doesn't really show much leadership.
Weigh is new and young.
Helliwell was the last player signed.
You don't give the captaincy to imports normally. Especially new ones. Warren is young. Williamson isn't that experienced either.
Herbert could I suppose, but has been out of the game for a year and is still reasonably inexperienced.
Creek and Johnson are both really young and don't show much leadership yet.

Reply #330721 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Crosswell struggled to get into the game on Sunday.
Helliwell directed things very very well.

Reply #330724 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Good point Hendo - it also shows how little leadership you have with this group. Crosswell can at times look out of his depth & he's not getting any younger. He'll be lucky to get a game in a few years!!

Reply #330725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crosswell was the one doing a lot of the talking at Starplex - good choice for VC.

Reply #330732 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Good choices. Any idea of when Balls is likely back?

Reply #330737 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good points Hendo, but I would have thought that Ng and Herbert would have had a good tilt at the leadership group.

To me, Balls seems to be a "follow me over the trenches" leader. (Staff Sgt Barnes) Cresswell has the leadership than comes from experience (Sgt Elias)

Ng's pretty quiet, but deep. He's the smartest in the team, possibly in the NBL. Disagree with "not much leadership", just a different style. He's the calm one in a burning building. I think you'll find when Darren speaks to the team, pearls of wisdom are said and the team listens.

Herbie's got a bit more grunt and street smarts. If he's not the official deputy VC, he should be. I expect he will be VC while Cressy is C. He's probably the one making sure people are following Balls over the trenches.

Reply #330749 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I didn't go to Starplex .
I noticed here Sunday on Crittenden Road Findon
a coupla new Adelaide Arena signs (AdelaideArena.com.au) as I walked in.
Anyways , I'm expecting a little bit of Ballinger
off the bench , at the first game.
But I been wrong before and I'm a Wade Helliwell fan.

Reply #330755 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That should be Crosswell, Cresswell plays for the Sydney Swines.

Reply #330757 | Report this post

trevor  
Years ago

Crosswell is exactly what we needed last year - Experience! Definitely worthy of Vice Captaincy.

Reply #330762 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Plus a voice ...speaking at training with Clarke showing them a new offense.
'I've done this before,it's a good one. ' Crosswell told the group.

A channel seven news reporter named Chris Warren went to training today and met American Import Chris Warren . Seven news ran a good news story tonite for a coupla minutes.

Reply #330901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754