Anonymous
Years ago

NBL TV coverage back to 10:30-11pm timeslots

Good on ya Sengstock. Yeah the league really is moving forward. This is a disgrace. so much for the 3 live games per week.

Topic #26390 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

link?

Reply #331713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tweet and email the hell out of them (One HD) so they have to show it live!

Reply #331720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what, here's a giant screw-you to Murdoch.

He took over Channel 10 and within a couple of months has:

#1 Cut the recently extended news
#2 Cut the late news & sports tonight
#3 Gutter ONEHD of sport and reform it
#4 Made Channel 10 switch from loving AFL to hating it, deciding against rights which they spent over a year negotiating for
#5 Decided to stop broading AFL in HD
#6 No AFL Grandfinal in HD
#7 Screw over the NBL by the second season of the contract

Way to go Murdoch. Way to go.

Reply #331721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

broadcasting*

Reply #331722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

basketball in oz was finally bout to explode and now packer has smacked it in the face and is holding it back!

Reply #331724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE NBL faces the disappointing prospect of having no live television games this season.

While the Ten Network has agreed to show three games each week on One HD, it is looking to invoke a clause in the contract that allows games to be shown "near live" within a three-hour window after tip-off.

NBL officials are continuing to negotiate with Ten and, with the season tipping off on October 7, hope to have an agreement finalised and live games included in the television schedule within the next 48 hours.

If a compromise can be reached, it is possible the NBL would settle for one live game out of three each week, with the other two to be shown on delay about 10.30pm.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/live-coverage-of-nbl-games-hangs-in-the-balance/story-e6frf9if-1226144107542

Reply #331726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not finalised yet. The final product is looking like 10.30 or 11 on Fridays, 9pm or so on Saturday and live Sunday afternoon. There will possibly be late night replays of New Zealand games too.

While not what we would ideally like, it is better than being on pay tv who dont care about basketball either, reach less than a third of the population, and would not show 3-4 games per week.

Reply #331729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball doesn't rate!

Networks don't care about anything apart from ratings. If you want live NBL or primetime NBA then find someone with a ratings set top box and get them watching basketball.

Reply #331732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel's coverage was so much better than what they're proposing to dish up to us this week - 2 games a week live with no commercials until the breaks (not during timeouts like One). I'd take that over 3 games shown after the games have already been played.

Reply #331735 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

its a disgrace, keep showing reruns of cops murdoch you tool

Reply #331736 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP anon, doubt Sengstock could have predicted this. At the time, OneHD were a dedicated sports channel and I don't recall any rumblings about that changing. Direct your rant at the channel stakeholders and fellow sports fans who don't tune in to watch the sport and boost the ratings.

Reply #331747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is beyond a joke & close to the death of basketball as a mainstream sport in australia... sad sad day when we will be as popular as baseball & gridiron in australia. all because ppl in power cant get it right... this is shit!

Reply #331748 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Maybe we all should sign up for one of those ratings set top boxs and watch the basketball as much as possible???...we also need to send some emails to show em we're not happy!!!

Also, if anyone has a spare billion you should buy these crooks out :-p

Reply #331750 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

To me it seems Ten are shooting themselves in the foot.

They are paying for all the production costs yet by showing it 3 hours late would be getting nowhere near as much advertising dollars for the broadcast.

These days with social media, it becomes near impossible to avoid finding out news and sports results as they happen meaning even less people are going to tune in than would have a few years ago.

At least if it's just an hour delay, you don't already know the result when you begin watching the broadcast.

I think the clubs as well may have a lot of pissed off sponsors who were under the impression their paid for advertising would be often on National Prime Time Television, not in the early hours of the morning instead.

Massive kick in the guts just as the league is looking to have it's most exciting season in over a decade.

Reply #331755 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

As I said in the other post Anon. Completely irrational really blaming Murdoch et al.

FACT IS: Basketball does not rate when put on TV in this country. It has never rated - despite all the NBL's hype and crap last year about massive increase in ratings - that was, as we all know, off a tiny base.

Ratings last year in terms of viewer numbers were not as good as the last couple of years of FTA previously.

If you want to blame anything, blame the product and blame the basketball public who do not watch the product they play.

If you owned a video store, and you had shelves full of classic's that no one rented, but could restock with different content that people do rent - wouldn't you make the change and improve your market share? That's all Murdoch as done. He's not here to be a benefactor to sport, he's here to make his business work.

Reply #331758 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Frankly, I don't understand who they do give those ratings boxes to. ONE has managed in a short time to go from the television station I watched the most, to one that I watch very infrequently.

Reply #331759 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I find it hard to believe more people are watching Cops than a Basketball game?!

Reply #331760 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm with you XY, I used to watch One all of the time - now apart from Basketball I dont even bother surfing through it!

Reply #331762 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, great comparison with a video store.

XY, with you 100%. Used to be a real go-to channel but now I avoid it because reality shows and especially the influx of American reality shows (pawn stars, blah blah blah) makes me want to throw up. I couldn't care any less about the rugby codes or general sports news. I'll watch Grand Designs, Good Game on ABC2, any cooking shows I stumble across, Family Guy or Simpsons for a switch-brain-off moment, and that's about it these days. TV sucks.

Perhaps many of us underestimate the public's interest in these other shows? They could at least bring us Cake Boss!

Reply #331766 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I used to only watch 7 for the news and almost never 9, prefering 10/One but am now finding the tv there more and more.. not that I watch alot of TV, well TV that hasnt been downloaded anyway.

Why does netball get more air time than basketball?
Someone said something about them paying one to show the games? How much? surely if the national netball league, that I didnt even know existed untill last year or whenever it was it started being televised on one, can afford it then so can NBL?

Reply #331769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

holy cow I must say I completely love cake boss, its the shit!!

Reply #331770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

alexrad you'd be surprised to know how big participation numbers are for netball.

Plus its considered an "australian sport" and the "womens sport".

Therefore Governments both in Australia and New Zealand invest huge amounts of $$ into the development of Netball, including helping to fund Netball's media profile both on television and print media.

Basketball is still considered a US sport by most governments and not a vote winner.

If basketball associations in Australia could get themselves organised, could get big busines and media names to support them, could show governments of all types (federal, state and local) just what the sport has to offer and the numbers it brings with it then we'd see alot more media support for the sport.

Until then expect to see more "Australian" sports on TV such as AFL, Netball, Rugby League and Rugby Union.

Reply #331771 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, got caught up in Cake Boss a bit last time I was in the US. It's very American, very overdone, but just silly and brilliant enough that you can appreciate what they're trying to achieve. Not quite as good as Heston's Feast though.

Reply #331772 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

bogut needs to get tweeting on this surely he could have a bit of influence

Reply #331773 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Guys, netball pays for their coverage with money that comes from the govt to promote women's sport. WNBL is on the ABC for roughly the same reason.

I know Ten and BA are still in discussions, so Ill await the outcome of that before getting worked up one way or the other. My personal view is that if the NBL wants live games on FTA they need to be on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when the ratings they draw fit the timeslot.

BTW, basketball has a similar participation rate as netball.

Reply #331777 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, participation numbers are big for netball, but not as big as they claim. they used to claim 1.3 million people playing netball.

Official registered numbers for netball is much much smaller than this - my understanding is around 400,000, which puts it on a par with basketball.

Netball were paying for coverage, I believe it was a straight in/out deal. Cash from Holden I think basically went straight to Ten to secure coverage. Their coverage for ANZ championship has not to my knowledge been financially supported by Government, whereas the W league certainly was.

Their ratings have not been great. Ten will ultimately need to make a call on this as well.

Reply #331778 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Also.. I do blame the basketball community at large for low ratings. I know more people that play basketball that follow NBA religously than those that have any interest in the NBL. They all say NBA is better and thats the end of the conversation. Which is a shame but the common mind set I find.

Reply #331779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball will be LIVE on Saturday Afternoons. Not exactly Prime time.

Basketball wants LIVE coverage during Prime time for a product which has never rated in Australia.

Netball participation numbers are bigger then basketball and when you take into account 95% of its members come from 50% of the population and that 40%+ of basketball participants live in one state and the majority are kids the numbers just don't add up.

Reply #331782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Majority of netball participants are kids too. The Fox coverage was government funded, and I understand the govt still funds the comp? Though Holden funding the Ten tv deal makes sense as they get plenty of promo from it.

Does the ANZ champs arrange their own production HO? Because their product placement and corporate messaging during the broadcasts are spot on.

Also, from ratings I have seen the NBA gets smaller ratings than NBL in Australia. That could have something to do with a lot of people watching on the net, but even before that became prevalent it didnt rate as well if memory serves me correctly.

Reply #331784 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Whilst I would be loath to defend a network headed by among others a Packer, a Murdoch and a Rinehart I'd actually say I watch one hd more now than when it was purely dedicated to sports. If they were able to retain a decent level of live sports content (including basketball) I don't really have a problem with them airing shows like An Idiot Abroad or Breakout Kings instead of "pro bull riding" or some fishing show...

But of course the track records of the three proprietors mentioned above suggests they would of course have no interest in growing the sport of basketball in Australia (ie committing to market the game and making it accessible on live FTA)

Reply #331787 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Anyone know Miley Cyrus? Perhaps she could also tweet her disapproval?

Reply #331788 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul, my understanding is that the first time the Government ever directly funded a sports league was the startup of the w league - the ASC until then never funded league's - they funded high performance programs, junior participation etc. I don't think ANZ championship got money from Government, and one reasons was the cross tasman nature of the comp (joint ownership) - they viewed it as a private business startup (which it is).

The other sports screamed about the 4 million per year given to FFA in extra funding to get the w league up and running btw which makes me think no Governments funded ANZ champs..

And yes, again, my understanding was that the ANZ Champs privately produced the coverage.

Reply #331793 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

ONE was getting too successful at what it did and it was hurting Foxtel. More profit to be made out of a healthy Foxtel, and given they have the same owners, the answer was simple, decimate ONE and grab the audience back for Pay TV.

Reply #331794 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

ONE was getting too successful at what it did and it was hurting Foxtel. More profit to be made out of a healthy Foxtel, and given they have the same owners, the answer was simple, decimate ONE and grab the audience back for Pay TV.

Reply #331795 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Phil, while its just really nice to have this conspiracy theory running, the facts do not back it up.

One was performing terribly, not successfully as a single focus Digital channel - ratings were very poor.

At the time, Channels like Gem and Go were rating 2's-3's and One was consistently around the "1" mark.

Reply #331796 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

ANZ champs is really a Netball Australia and Netball NZ joint project than truly a private enterprise. NA are a primary shareholder, investing their money (a lot of which comes from the Feds via ASC) into the 'company'.

Fed Government also funds the ABC to broadcast women's sport, and I believe netball after their review received a large increase in government funding which allowed them to set up the new league and achieve tv coverage.

Anyway, this is about the NBL and I think people should wait and see what the schedule is actually going to be for the season before jumping off a bridge!

Reply #331798 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I posted this on the old topic, does anyone know the answer?:

If ONE is showing the games on massive delay is there a chance that we can get live games on the net like we did a couple of years ago with sixers and wildcats? or did the nbl sell their soul (and internet rights) when they signed on to fta tv?

Reply #331806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO: That's not a conspiracy theory. It's one of two reasons Packer/Murdoch took a large stake in Channel 10.

#1 Underperforming/undervalued asset
#2 Ability to control sport through Foxtel/get rid of competition

ONEHD wasn't rating as highly as GO! and 7mate etc., however it was pretty good at keeping people away from buying Foxtel because of sport. This way, they get higher ratings and more subscribers.

However, it's also a total cop out to sport lovers who don't have much money/enjoys the NBL.

Channel Ten/ONE had the chance to get AFL tv rights cheaply (onsold by Seven), don't tell me Murdoch (an NRL lover/hates AFL) had no say in this.

Reply #331812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And One HD still doesn't get the ratings that other digital channels like GO, 7mate, 7TWO and Eleven get.

With all these changes One HD has only increased it's ratings share by just over 1%.

Anon @ #331812 has it bang on.

Murdoch & Packer will sell out of Ten in a few years time having achieved both of their goals a) to destroy the potential of One HD to protect Fox Sports and b) making a profit on their initial investment while doing so.

Reply #331816 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Yep, the amount of NBA and NBL on OneHD (as well as motor racing) kept me away from Foxtel.

So as soon as Murdoch gained a controlling interest of Ten, the deal made a lot of sense.

Reply #331817 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I got rid of my Fox as soon as the NBL signed on with Ten.

Reply #331819 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Phil claimed that OneHD was being too successful, therefore Murdoch went after OneHD to protect FoxSports.

I am merely pointing out that the premise of his conspiracy, that One was being too successful, is a fallacy. By any measure, OneHD was a failure in its old form. It had no long term future.

It made a small profit early, based on a advertising strategy of major partnerships rather than spread advertising, but those partnerships were under threat due to s*%thouse ratings.

It's ratings are roughly now 100% up from where it was. It has gone from around the "1" mark weekly to close to the "2" mark weekly, which is not far off where Gem and GO are, and which is commendable considering that it is not available on the Foxtel satellite platform. ie, its not easy for the user to switch to One.

Your argument about Murdoch hating AFL is just silly, the company News jointly owns, FoxSports, just spent a fortune on the AFL rights. He might hate the game, he does not hate the wealth it provides.

The notion that they were being offered cheaply to Ten is also a nonsense. No AFL rights go cheaply....

Reply #331821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Primetime ratings this week for the digital channels:

Sunday night:

•Digital: 7TWO won with a share of 4.0%, Gem and Eleven were on 3.3%, 7mate was on 2.8%, GO was on 2.5%, ONE was on 2.3%, ABC 2 was on 1.9%, News 24 was on 0.7%, and SBS TWO and ABC 3 finished with 0.4%, each. That's a total FTA viewing share of 21.6%.

Monday night:

•Digital: 7TWO and GO tied for the lead with 4.7% each. Eleven was on 3.9%, 7mate was on 3.6%, Gem was on 2.6%, ABC2 and ONE were on 2.2% each, News 24 was on 0.7% and ABC3 and SBS TWO were on 0.5% each. That's a total FTA viewing share last night of 25.9%. 7TWO leads the week with 4.3% from GO and Eleven on 3.6%.

Tuesday night:

•Digital: 7TWO won with 3.3%, from Eleven on 3.0%, 7mate was on 2.6%, ABC 2 was on 2.5%, Gem was on 2.3%, GO was on 1.9%, ONE was on 1.6%, SBS TWO ended on 1.1%, ABC 3, 0.7% and News 24 was on 0.6%. That's a total FTA viewing share last night of 19.6%. 7TWO leads the week with 4.0% from Eleven on 3.7% and 7mate and GO on 3.0% each.

Wednesday night:

•Digital: 7TWO won with a share of 5.1%, from Eleven with 4.8%, 7mate on 4.5%, GO on 3.7%, ABC 2 on 3.2%, Gem in 2.4%, ONE on 2.3%, ABC 3 on 0.7%, SBS TWO on 0.7% and News 24 on 0.6%. That's an FTA viewing share last night of a high 28.1%. 7TWO leads the week with 4.3%, from Eleven on 3.7% and 7mate on 3.4%.

Last night:

•Digital: 7TWO won with a share of 4.9% from 7mate on 4.2%, Eleven which was on 4.1%, GO and Gem were on 3.1% each, ABC 2 finished with 2.7%, ONE was on 1.8%, SBS TWO and News 24 ended with 0.7% each and ABC 3 was on 0.6%. That's an FTA viewing share last night of 25.9%. 7TWO leads the week with 4.4% from Eleven on 3.8% and 7mate on 3.5%.

Reply #331824 | Report this post

Vesta 98  
Years ago

So instead of NBL on One
Friday Night: Worlds Toughest Fixers then a movie
Saturday Night (most likely 3rd slot): Fear Factor, Cops, old UFC PPVs
Sunday Arvo: NASCAR and Airline (somehow that is a Male's Show - which is what they are suppose to be showing)

All repeats.

Reply #331832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball doesnt rate...doesnt need be said again, we know...

But we a true blue ballers and we wanna see it...

What ever happened to the idea of live streaming games on the net? Can clubs do this on their own accord? Even if only their away games? (ie all games streamed if not on one and not in the home state) Could this be done or would it be in breach of one contract?

Or...with the IT knowledge of the sixers supporters on this site...could we throw up pirate stream online...to some it might seem silly...but i think it could be done...

No doubt it'll be on fox at the end of the current FTA contract (if not before), thats what murdoch wants, and it'll happen as he runs channel ten, one and 11 into the ground. He doesnt hate footy, or sport in general...he just wants everyone to pay him to see it on foxtel.

BBall in this county will always be on the back foot because its an American sport,and Aussies never follow the yanks...except with music...and fasion...and tv...and pollitics...and war...just not sport...

Reply #331833 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Why on earth would ONE play it that late on TV? They are already spending the money on production costs to film the games, they might as well show it live and attempt to re-coup some of their money back. It makes no sense.

Secondly people are right, basketball doesn't rate in this country. But I'm sure that it would have a damn better chance of rating than Cops re-runs! It's not like it's gonna cost ONE any more money to show it live. They already have the product!

Reply #331836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ho, Murdoch hates AFL, we know that, and we know these days that carrying both NRL and AFL is not financially viable for a single commercial network, so Murdoch decided against the AFL in favour of bidding for the NRL. That's the point i was trying to make, he decided NRL was a better option, and now i'm going to be stuck with 4 games covered by Channel 7's crap team.

However, that's not going to stop him bidding for every AFL game for Fox Sports, the man may hate the sport but he won't shoot himself in the foot like that.

And regarding the TV rights, after channel 7 bought them, they were initially looking to on-sell the rights (not the grandfinal/brownlow though)at what would be a very cheap price compared to what they paid in their previous two contracts, ofcourse that's because they longer had the prime games available to them. When it comes to ratings v cost, it still would have come rather cheaply for a premium sport product.

Reply #331840 | Report this post

Inkpen  
Years ago

http://andthefoul.net/?p=1436

Reply #331849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for me this is a hard issue... because, I can see all sides to it. Forever I've wanted the NBL to be front and center on Free to Air, but to be honest, can it reasonably expect to be Live and Prime time? Basketrball is widely particip[ated in Australia, but it hasnt really been watched here since 2000. Jordan retired, The Boomers ... whilst in hindsight sensational in there own right.. failed to meet lofty medal expectations.. all the heroes and villans of the game dissappeared from the Australian conscience.. names only to be muttered in times of nostalgia, and the public really hasnt reconnected yet. I think to be honest,.... they never will. I think Basketball will forever be a niche sport in Australia... regardless if we put Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut in the league... only True Basketball fans will care anyways, and many of them will know its only a 6 month stint til its back 'home' for the 2 of them. also think of what the NBL really is like to watch... sure u get some good plays here and there... but for the most part its a bunch of generaly fairly average athletes and some NBA offcuts playing fundamentally sound yet not particularly well presented or attractive basketball,,, why should the average Ice-Coffee drinking Joe Blow care about that?.... I always believed when they closed up the NBL they shouldve completely restructured it under a different name and changed the whole visual package of it. now it looks like it will continue in the direction its in, I think inevitably... SOMEONE will always show basketball on TV... free or otherwise, live or delayed... but we should be thankful that its on FTA when the average guy wont care, doesnt care, and wont be made to care.

Reply #331898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also NBL has had crap sponsors forever... why not get sponsored by something people LIKE?????

Reply #331899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, ONE was a success in that it was the highest rating sports channel on Australian TV, and there was a drop in Foxtel subscriptions that correlated with ONE's progression as a sports channel. Whether it caused it I dont know, but Fox Sports owners would have been well aware of it.

Yes it was a failure as a FTA channel, but that doesnt disprove the point some others are trying to make. I think the two factors mentioned were both motivation for the investment in Ten.

Reply #331910 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

^^^ btw im not that conspiracy phil lol

the original phil

its just bloody business to these guys. to be honest its not that basketball doesnt rate well, it could rate more than cops but in the end its maths to these guys ie

pay x amount of dollars for season 3, 4, 8 and 11 of cops. screen it in whatever order you want, whenever you want. there is no need for it to be linear. it is old and cheap to buy. you can rerun it sometimes even in the same week in a different timeslot even if it is only 4 seasons of ten episodes rather than show 40 eps that year you could show either 20 eps or up to 100 showings if you require filler. it will draw almost zero actual dedicated viewers, will just rely on x amount of people flicking stations and stopping on something they recognise because they have nothing else they want to watch or do.

ffs one hd showed what lies beneath last night.

the guys at these networks are not sports fans, or movie buffs, they dont care about great entertainment they care about success, and big flatscreens and their bmws and all their corporate shit. they will treat us like idiots because to be honest most people are idiots. let me explain that last statement,someone can do brain surgery, they can study and learn and follow but outside of that they will switch off their brain.

the music industry is a perfect example of exec types treating us like idiots. ive watched middle aged women cringe at public enemy one year to lining up for eminem/ another fake flashy rap wannabe gangsta over-produced piece of fluff the next year because its been played non-stop on radio/ tv and its become acceptable. yeah thats the measure nowadays, not what is great, its standard fare to produce something cheap and acceptable than great but difficult.

Reply #331918 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol look at those ratings

7two winning all the time wtf??

its a station that is 99.9% reruns from 30 odd years ago. its not even that good.

Reply #331919 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

I visit houses all day all week in my employment and have seen only 1 tv rating machine in 20 years.Statistically bad.That 1 house has had it for about 5 years.so his enjoyment of 70's and 80's American sitcoms could well be influencing the executives the whole time.
I mean how many interesting shows fade away or moved time slots ,how many reruns stay .
How come these rating machines arent rotated,have any of you been asked or seen anywhere to be available for them?
I knew the day murdoch bought into Ten this all would happen .He needed to screw his foxtel market away from FTA.

Reply #331927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got a call recently asking if I'd have one. I hope they follow through, the NBL might look at least a little more interesting to execs all of a sudden! Me and the missus watching it would be used to say something like 5,000 people are watching!

Reply #331938 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

well thats the problem, i think these rating machines are all sitting in our grandparents houses??

honestly ive never ever heard of someone who has one. ild bet between us we know more people who have hit a hole in one or have struck it in the lottery.

lol maybe its just a bullshit myth they bring up to explain their shitty lazy programming!! theres a conspiracy for ya!!

Reply #331940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've only ever known of one person/family that has had one of the ratings boxes. A mate of my brothers.

The thing is there are FA of these ratings boxes out there and they know this. They're not common and they don't want them to be because if they were they would really know how few people are actually watching TV and that would destroy the amount they're currently able to get out of advertisers.

Much better for the TV industry to keep the whole charade going and just extrapolate those figures right out "if 4.5% of the people that have ratings boxes are watching 7TWO during primetime then that means 4.5% of the entire population are".

Reply #331944 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Just face it, the NBL in current version of American based hype cant complete with reruns of Heartbeat.

A few questions.

- Would anyone who is a fan want to watch live at the game if they can afford it ?

- Maybe NBL clubs would like fuller stadiums and so they may not prefer live coverage? Understand there is a balance between Sponsorship and tv coverage.

- Could we have a commodity and sell it, thats not American?
(say only OZ players? spend the big $ on OZ players not USA ones)

- Would smaller venue, more intimate, close up, hard to get seats be more sustainable. ? TV coverage would go up?

Reply #332044 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ummm ok. look i appreciate you tried to make a comment on this kcgone but i understood little of what you said and i think you have kinda missed the mark on other points.

question 1. i dont understand this sentence?? are you trying to say that more people would actually like to go to the game than watch it on tv?? because i doubt very many adelaide home games will be televised, making it a non-issue anyway.

q2. most stadiums are reasonably small ( 5000+ i think), its not really a huge issue of losing fans to live telecasts and having empty stadiums. for most cities home telecasts will be far between ( unless your sydney last year).

q3. how does getting rid of the imports and giving bigger contracts and list spots to aussies equal better tv deals and timeslots??

q4. how does having fewer available seats help with tv rights?? seriously?? have you ever been to watch the 36ers?? its usually pretty packed. ive never seen it look even remotely average attendance wide an the atmosphere is great.

Reply #332283 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Thanks Phil - just to clarify some of above thoughts

Q1 Most people would like take the cheapest option, but would prefer to go to a live event if it did not too much cost. LIve televised games will reduce the crowd even if only by 100-500 (estimate ) depending on what location. I know many friends do that when an option. Most of the People who would religiously want to watch it live go to the game, so the are not home to watch the live TV broadcast.
Delayed, lots go home and watch portions of it again.
Seen many Adelaide games in the past not too many recent seasons.

Q2. Why do they not fill the stadiums every game if we say the stadiums are small?
Sitting back in the high bleaches is not much fun -need to be close as possible.
TV live coverage is the current media paying huge $ for Live Sport( but not B/Ball), The dollars that we get go to BA, not to clubs. So clubs need the 200-500 that don't come to the game when live.

Q3 The American based hype around our brand of basketball is not readily accepted by Australian audiences or major decision makers in the media.
Packaging a more Australia based product may get more support, plus pay $ to support keeping Australian Talent longer or attract them back sooner from the world stage?

Q4 Seats at the game don't count for TV rights, seats at home do.
Also if you manage the supply and demand curve for seats, you can optimise the return.

Reply #332355 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

NBL rejects live TV games - Article in news?

Reply #332661 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754