Isaac
Years ago

NBL turns down one live game to get three delayed

The NBL has rejected an offer of one live game each week on Network Ten and faces late-night TV wilderness.

While One HD will show three games each week on delay - probably in the unfriendly 10.30pm slot - the NBL could have had a showcase game telecast live on Ten every Sunday afternoon that would probably have attracted a greater audience and new viewers.
"We offered them a live game on Ten on Sunday afternoons," Ten's head of sport David Barham said yesterday.

"They didn't take it so we'll be showing three games on delay. Three games a week is still a pretty big commitment by us."
Full article

What would you have preferred? I think I'd rather three delayed games than just one live game each week - much better chance of seeing a variety of teams and contests. Not unhappy to see the NBL stick to their cap guns on this.

Topic #26441 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, three delayed games on One is better than one live game on Ten.

The NBL might even get a better offer from them soon too, Ten would've been loving the prospect of that saving all that money on production costs for the other two games a week.

Reply #332539 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Better exposure for the league to have 3 games a week even if on delay. If people are interested they will watch it regardless or tape it and watch it at a more suitable time for them.

Reply #332544 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I would have though that one live game on a Sunday afternoon would have been a much better idea. It would allow for people to almost stumble across it when channel surfing. IMO this could help get the sport to more than just the die-hards.

Die-hards are going to watch no matter what so the 10:30pm time-slot will get those viewers but I doubt it will get any casual viewers.

Reply #332546 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Yeah, probably happier with three. But, to me, the true goal is to get as many live games on tv as possible (yes, I know they don't rate, etc etc etc).

Pretty hard to make a case for more live games when you don't have any.
By that I mean if Bogut vs Mills on a live game AND IT DOES RATE really well, then the NBL has the OPPORTUNITY to put forward an argument. The station also has an argument/numbers to put to their advertisers...etc.

If you DON'T build, how CAN they come?

Reply #332547 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

build it

Reply #332548 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Screw you Channel 10! /rant

If the 'three hour delay' clause in the contract is real, wouldn't that mean the Sunday afternoon delayed game would need to be shown during prime time ;-)

Reply #332551 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Unless there would be an option to watch other games online, I would prefer the 3 games delayed.

I think the NBL need to hold their ground here.

I'm pretty sure the 5 year deal with Network ten saw the coverage increasing to 5 games a week by the fifth year.

Surely if the NBL are standing firm with the contract in place, Ten is going to have to co-operate sooner or later otherwise the production costs will start to outweigh the lack of revenue they recieve by showing it late.

Reply #332552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Ten might come back with an offer of two live games a week, say one on Ten and the other on One?

It would get them out of the associated production costs for the third game.

Two live rather than three delayed would be a sweet deal I think.

Reply #332554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy how many people are sitting in front of a TV on Sunday afternoon channel surfing?

One Live game on Ten at the worst possible time of the week. No one watches Sunday arvo TV, that's why its filled with crap.

The die hards are the only ones who watch the NBL and they will watch 3 delayed games over 1 LIVE as they get to see their team more often.

NBL had to stick to their guns and not fall for Ten's bluff.

Well done.

Reply #332555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree choosing the 3 is better, they could look to play games on Saturday by about 5.30 meaning they would have to be on by 8.30 if the 3hr clause is true

Reply #332556 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

The NBL still hasn't released the game times for the season so who knows, they may yet to that trick of playing games about 4pm so they get on TV during prime time (although there might be detail behind that clause that says they can't do such a trick!)

Reply #332558 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Avv - Most teams are now selling single tickets which all have the game times on them.

Reply #332560 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

That might just be on games they know they won't move like Friday night games for example?

Reply #332561 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If the live game was friday, not sunday, maybe. especially on Ten rather than One.

That would surely increase interest in NBL.
Then they might start showing some more games?

Friday live on 10, Saturday 1 hour delay on ONE, Sunday arvo live on ONE. That sounds nice to me.. wont happen though.

Something else to consider. If its a Perth home game 1030 would be live in eastern states?

3 hour delay would be good for us over here anyway, as long as it wasnt 3 hour delay plus time difference. Which is probably the case.

I'm sure theres alot more happening behind the scenes at Ten/One and the NBL than we are made aware off. Good to see NBL not backing down!

Reply #332562 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Was interesting that Luc Longley completely avoided the question on what he thought about the lack of live NBL on TV this year this morning on SEN radio...

His links to BA probably made him keep his mouth shut but he obviously doesn't think it's good.

Reply #332565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip, the way Channel Ten is going, i'll tell you now, we won't be getting 5 games a week by the fifth year, they'll rip up the contract well before then.

Reply #332569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the more reason to not back down, and give Ten no way out of the contract.

The NBL have made the right moves here. Now everyone needs to get on board and help grow the viewer market share!

Reply #332581 | Report this post

Ace  
Years ago

Why doesn't NBL show games on iiNet (sponser) and sell subscriptions like the NBA does with NBA TV.

I'd pay $50 to watch all the games on the net, and stuff Channel Ten. As long as Carfino isn't the commentator it"s worth the spend.

Reply #332587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because no one would care and it's sponsors would desert the league in droves?

With NBA League Pass you're forgetting that 99% of the games are on TV anyway and that the US itself (let alone NBA fans around the world) has about 15 times the population we do.

It would be an idea if the NBL had no TV rights deal but in saying that iiNet probably wouldn't be on board if it didn't either.

A Rivus TV type option ($5 a game for select games) would probably be the way for the NBL to go if it had no TV deal as the league wouldn't be able to afford it's on production costs, commentators etc.

Reply #332590 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Won't it be ok for us Wildcats fans in Perth?

Because of the three hour time delay, games should be shown at prime times, e.g. 7.30 instead of 10.30.

Not a bad thing for home games, I personally as a fan, love watching the game after on TV when I get home.

Reply #332591 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep good decision by the NBL. One game a week would mean nothing but Sydney and Melbourne games all season.

I also like the fact that Ten will spend more money covering three games and get less revenue from ads because of their determination to use a later timeslot! No less than they deserve really.

Reply #332592 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Let's hope that people get behind these games and ratings prove to be reasonable enough to encourage "1" to show live games next season

Reply #332594 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ace, further to anon's response, because someone then has to stump up for local tv production costs. I've heard figures touted of up to 15k per game to produce a game to broadcast quality.

Even if it was 2k per game you have just added 20k or so to every team's bottom line, and you are not going to recover that through subscriptions.

Reply #332596 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ace, not that many people would pay up, and a total of $50pp wouldn't go very far.

Matt, depends if the issue for you is convenience (actual time of day) or the sensation of watching something live, not having the result spoiled online, etc. For me, 10:30 isn't too bad. If it were 11:30 (like those Boomers games) it'd be more frustrating.

Reply #332597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id prefer 1 live game personally because im often working weekends ontop of my week schedule and i cant stay up 3 nights a week need the sleep more. Maybe i better buy a DVR

Reply #332599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a major factor is where the NBL will be able to take it from here.

Reckon it'll be easier for the NBL to at some stage (probably next season) initially push for 1 of their 3 delayed games to be shown live (so would have 1 live and 2 delayed games per week) than take the "1 live game and thats it" deal and convince ONE/TEN to spend more production money on more games.

Peoples thoughts on this?

Surely its not that unlikely that next season they will be able to convince them to show one live game on ONE on sunday arvo (very little demand then as is ONE not TEN and the sunday arvo timeslot). If they succeed in doing this they'll have 1 live game and 2 additional delayed games instead of taking ten's deal this year and just having 1 live game and probably struggling to get any more games.

Purely in this facet, it was the right choice. Overall, I'm still torn.

Reply #332601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Isaac, I agree 10:30 is A LOT better than 11:30 ala boomers coverage. Its only an hour but makes a huge difference. I'd be willing to stay up till 12:30am but 1:30am is just not on. Speaking for myself here but I'd imagine many other would feel the same way.

Reply #332602 | Report this post

SCOOP NEWSWORTHY  
Years ago

3 over 1 for sure.
Sunday afternoon during summer? Most people would rather be at the beach or other outdoor activities. Unless you're in Townsville or Cairns

Reply #332607 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Its not a bad deal and if three delayed games per week is the best we get then great, better chance of seeing the 36ers play, home or away. Better than only one game per week where you can almost bet your bottom dollar that Melbourne and Sydney would end up being on the majority of telecasts as they have the bigger markets (just going on Ten's track record with the NBL back in the 90s. The Tigers, Magic, Giants & Kings seemed to get a bigger share of nationally televised games compared to the rest of the league IMO whereas teams like Hobart, Newcastle and the old Gold Coast were lucky to be televised anywhere except locally or back to their opponents home town).

Reply #332632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be replays of Breakers home games? I mean, they are there to be had?

I like that the NBL is sticking to its guns, Ten should buy it out or do what they signed up to. As some else said hopefully a compromise of Saturday night on One and Sunday arvo on Ten or something like that. That would be a good result for the league provided the five year contract could be protected.

Reply #332642 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

3 replays instead of 1 live game works for me,the more the better.

Reply #332644 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

mehhh

either way 1 game or 3
its piss poor

no wonder the sport doesnt attract fans

Reply #332647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the chances that 1 of the 3 delayed games will just be Sky's NZ coverage?

Reply #332655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE NBL has defended its decision to reject an offer of live game telecasts, believing more is better.

Given the option of having one live game every Sunday at noon on the Ten Network, the NBL preferred to have three games on One HD at 10.30pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, believing the slots would better deliver its product for sponsors and fans.

"We felt what we're doing is the best thing for basketball," NBL chief executive Larry Sengstock said yesterday.

"There are a whole range of reasons and factors that we took into account, and we felt this was the right thing to do.

"What we can't lose sight of is we're in the second year of a five-year deal and we're looking to keep building our relationship with Network Ten.

"It shouldn't be forgotten we've gone from two games (on TV) last season to three this season, so we've actually got more product on TV."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nbl-rejects-live-tv-games/story-e6frfglf-1226152302488

Reply #332660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What we can't lose sight of is we're in the second year of a five-year deal and we're looking to keep building our relationship with Network Ten."

yeh but ten DONT WANT to build a relationship with you or the nbl larry ?
wake up and face facts, living in a dream world with your head in the sand and echoing words the PREVIOUS ten management was happy with, wont cut it.
i still like the idea of iinet being utilised to a higher capacity, just not sure how to make it work in the absense of ten doing their about face.
i reckon larry & co sitting on their hands waiting for the contract to come good when ten don't even want it, is a recipe for disaster so they have to look at other options to protect the sport.
they have a responsibility to do that if they want to keep fans from deserting them in droves which they are ?

Reply #337471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What should they do then, walk away from a five year deal and have no deal

Reply #337479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754