Anonymous
Years ago

6ers New Import

Is there any word on who it might be???

Dexter Pittman of the miami heat is after a job.

Topic #26511 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

What would people prefer? Go for an NBA player and risk losing him after a few games (if any) or go for a player you know will be here all season?

Reply #333564 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think going for an NBA player is all that bad, if the lockout ends hopefully it would be around the time JWill has recovered and we can bring him in?

However, wouldnt mind them going after someone who has the potential to be a long term option either.

Reply #333571 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A palpable NBA player here would be good , for a little while.
From there , John Williamson.

Reply #333574 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

How sure are we that J-Will will be good to go in 8 weeks?
How sure are we that Adam will be good to go in 2 weeks?

The emphasis should be on getting someone here and now.

Once the NBA restarts, it will cause a ripple affect that could free up some players, but from a financial standpoint i would image a non NBA player would be slightly cheaper now than after the restart.

Reply #333584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just any NBA player that doesn't have nights manager, can't seal the deal

Reply #333606 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd prefer long term stability, even if it costs a couple games.

Reply #333687 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , that's the impression I got from Clarke
on 5aa , just then, when they asked him about
John Williamson - ' What seemed an innocuous rebound situation , turned out to be 12 weeks and , yes , we've paid out his contract. Trying for Import replacement , now , and aiming to have it done by week 2 . ' ( don't think he meant playing by then
but announced by then.)

Reply #333727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id go an NBA player if available, the 6ers have been just too consistantly woeful and picking unknowns. With the pressure on to get someone quick, why would their selection be any better than usual?

Reply #333736 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I would go for someone who has the highest likelihood of staying with the team for the whole season. What's the point in picking up an NBA player and doing well for the first part of the season (however long that may be) and then lose it all at the business end of the season when the lockout ends. It would have been a different matter if the lockout happened at a time when an NBA player could be picked up towards the end of the season, taking into account the minimum number of games to qualify for playoffs and provided injuries to others made room for them. That is the time when it counts the most.

Reply #333737 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd get Williamson assessed as to how long he's going to take to be up to full fitness. Not available to play, full fitness.
If this is relatively soon, I can't see any problem with signing an NBA player to fill the gap until the lockout ends.
If it looks as if Williamson is going to spend a long time on the sidelines, and/or if a non NBA prospect is available who will be a similar fit to Williamson, then I'd jump at that.
Williamson is clearly our number 1 option. Ideally, I'd like to see him in Sixers clothes this season at some point. If on the mean time we can get a Wes Matthews or another NBA level talent, then that's just awesome.
Only other scenario I can come up with is signing a known quantity on a temporary contract. A Galen Young, Rosell Ellis etc. player who has come in midseason before to fill a void, who might be prepared to earn a bit of cash for a while while we wait.

Reply #333740 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i wouldnt be so against an NBA player as long as the sixers are proactive about it and keep other non NBA options open ready to replace the outgoing NBA player. however i can understand that this would be extremely difficult as the options we seek may get picked up in the meantime and we will be going for a poorer option to replace the leaving NBA player. id be more inclined to go for a non NBA player but wouldnt be so against it if they did get one

Reply #333741 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hendo8888,

Williamson is clearly our number 1 option.
It sounded quite final to me when the 36ers said they had released him. Did not sound like an option that he would get better in time to re join the team.

Reply #333742 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/import-may-return-if-bogut-short-term/story-e6frecj3-1226150413233

Looking at this article, they suggested if we got Bogut that we would consider bringing Williamson back when the lockout ends if he was available.
Read that article, but substitute Bogut's name with any other NBA player's name and it still fits just as well.

If he was gone and never likely to return, this article wouldn't exist.
They are obviously pretty cut up that he won't be a part of our season. He's who we wanted. He's still who we want if we can make it work somehow.

8 to 10 weeks is the suggested time for his rehab. A week and a half before we even play a game. 1 game where we won't have an import at the least. Let's say he's available after the whole 10 weeks. That's 9 rounds or 8 games for a new import if we get one for next week. Bring in an NBA player for that period or longer if the lockout continues would be a win. Longer we keep the NBA player, longer that Williamson has to get himself 100%. Even a Young/Ellis/Maxey/Tucker for that period wouldn't be too bad. They wouldn't have to get acclimatised to the league, they wouldn't be too bad a fit for what we need, would come in and play a role for the time being after which we get the player that we really want and are confident will be the best fit possible.

Reply #333748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching last nights game j-will is the perfect player we need he would be to strong/athletic for most 4's in the game. He should have gone in 4 surgery straight a been a 2 wks into recovery.

Reply #333769 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Welcome to Chase. Long term or short term... enjoy your stay.

This is all I can say.

Reply #333882 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Chase?

Reply #333897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754