Mr Clause
Years ago

NBA players, pull your heads in

Nba Players want a higher percentage of millions in salary.
Meanwhile carparking attendents, cleaners and canteen workers don't get paid until this is resolved.
We are dangerously close to xmas and the middle and lower wage income earners from america are struggling.

PULL YOUR HEAD IN NBA PLAYERS!!

Topic #26751 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

If you compare the average NBA player Salary to NFL and NHL, the NBA players make on average a lot more in a sport with far less physicality.

Reply #337882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tail doesn't wag the dog maaate

Reply #337887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when did the physicality of a sport impact the wages...

Reply #337889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

82 game season makes a big difference there. But yeah, theyre hugely paid and should agree to a hard cap and get on with it.

Reply #337890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm old enough to remember when there were only 12 NBA teams, and before then bench players like P Mills ( about 20 -30 of then in the whole NBA) , did not get much more than a barely living wage and had to work at another job in their off season. Even the starts did not earn enough to retire after their NBA career.

The expansion was ude to management, not players, and it really does seem to me to be a care of amputating the hand that feeds you.

Reply #337894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed they just need to take the deal thats on the table now and get the season started. there is alot more at stake then just there wages. they can all make it up with indorsements and all that nut the lil person who works at the bars and canteens has to sit there and wonder if they will be able to pay for christmas presents for there kids thsi year.

Reply #337895 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is for people who cant be bothered to spell correctly and use something that looks close to grammar to be banned from online forums.

I'm sick of needing a translator to understand posts.

Yours Sincerely,

The Answer.

Reply #337898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players have already given a BILLION dollars back to the NBA... if your bosses asked you to take a 10% reduction in wage, would you just sit back and say sure go for it!??

Common sense people!

Reply #337899 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I was making $5mill and the company I worked for was losing money, I would think the smart option would be to take a 10% cut and make the job sustainable at $4.5mill.

Reply #337903 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

10% cut for a long term guarantee, or keep fighting and have no job, no current income, and become one of the public enemies for allowing low income workers to be out of a job when they most need it. I think we all know what the smart option is...
If the entire season is ended you will find many of the players will be financially in trouble just like their buddies in the NFL who can't pay their mortgages after a few years after retiring/being fired...

Reply #337905 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Agreed, NBA players should have taken the 50% offer.

Heads up their own arse!

Reply #337906 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I didnt think it was at 50% yet, isnt that what the players wanted? I thought it was at 49-51?

Though I gave up following it after the yo yo reporting with different facts and figures in every article and every time some progress was made it went back into stale mate.

Reply #337908 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I know it's been said before but it is so true:

Billionaires v Millionaires. It's hard to feel for either side....

Reply #337909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the owners have given the players till wednesday to accept there deal. the deal is 50/50 but if they make a profit over the season it will go up to 51% to the players.

if they dont accept the deal it will go to 47/53 to the owners and there will be roll backs on current contracts.

Reply #337911 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If the players don't accept this deal then..
a) the season is pretty much off
b) the owners will go back to offering 47% or less

It would be best for the players to accept 50-51% and try to get a bit more back in another area, like length of contracts or % increase each year in new contracts

The owners are obsessed with the BRI % so they may make comprimises in other areas.

It would also save a bit of face for the Union, as they are about to make a bug mistake which will cost their players A LOT OF MONEY.

Reply #337912 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Agreed the players should just take the cut and play, the min salary in nba is around 500k, id be stoked to have just that, and would still take a 10% cut at that level, let alone the stars earning 10-20m per year.

Can the owners run a season with D-league players? just to get it started and say to the others we are running a season with or without you, agree to our terms or get another career. If thay can i think they should as most players would accept straigth away, lets face it how else is LeBron, Garnett, etc going to earn anything close to even $1 million, if they dont play, you dont make that working at maccas flipping burgers, which is probably their choice, as most would barley have a college degree and most degrees dont lead to million dollar salaries.

Reply #337916 | Report this post

The Question  
Years ago

The "answer" get that silver spoon out your mouth!!!

Reply #337921 | Report this post

The Barracuda  
Years ago

On the money rice cube, some of us want to see basketball played at the elite level, just like at the local uni

Reply #337923 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kobe needs to take a pay cut, sorry, the Lakers need to take a pay cut....

Reply #337926 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

In my opinion, the bigger cut should come down to who is taking the bigger risk. The owners are taking all the risk by investing in teams, whereas the players are playing completely risk free. Make sense?

Reply #337936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel the players frustration, they are the ones that have made the compimises. That being said, this is the best deal they will get, decertification will not mean a better deal, it might mean a worse deal.

If the sides could meet before the dealine and sort out some of the issues that would be great because a deal isn't as far off as it seems.

Reply #337938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its also not about the BRI to a huge extent anymore, the players would probably take that. Its the other issues.

Reply #337939 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

they had something like 57 % , and now are asking for something like 52.5 %. have been offered 51%.

eh, if i had to take a paycut like 6 % yeah ild fight it, but then im looking at if i even get the downpayment set maybe 30 odd years of working like a dog paying my mortgage and watching rates hoping im never forced to make some hard decisions if things dont go well.

nba players on the other hand get multi-year million dollar contracts that are guaranteed ( short of doing something illegal or very stupid to void that contract).

Reply #337944 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I feel so sorry for the players, especially those on the minimum league wage of around 500K a season. I mean, they get to play a ball game they love (and most CLAIM they would play just for the love of it.....) and get paid about 20 times the wage that the average American earns in their day to day job. They get to travel all across the USA (and go to Canada and possibly other international destinations) and be paid to do it, all their hotel rooms are booked for them and are paid for, as are their flights etc. They don't have to worry about much except their own personal lives and their game.

Gee, give me a 1 year only, never to be seen again NBA contract of 500K and I'd be set.

Yep, I feel real sorry for the players. At the same time its hard to feel sorry for the owners either.....

Reply #337952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard that owners may be willing to tweak system issues before deadline, this would be great news.

Reply #337963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the players are expected to lost 10% of income so most owners can make more money?

Only 10% of teams are actually losing money, so instead of looking to improve their business or stop signing guys like Rashard Lewis to ridiculous long term deals, they want the players to hand back money?

The teams that are making the most money are refusing to revenue share, they will continue to spend too much money and continue selling tickets at exorbitant prices.

The players were told by the union that this lockout was coming and to save their money, so only the foolish ones will be crying poor!

Reply #337970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10% losing money ? rekon its stacks more than that !

Reply #338006 | Report this post

BallztoYou  
Years ago

Excuse me "The Answer",
What is the meaning of Life?

Reply #338028 | Report this post

Kool Moe Dee  
Years ago

da truth my negro is pissin inda breezer

I meant The Answer my friend is blowing in the wind

Reply #338034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10% is what the actual losses were - teams counted depreciation in their loss, they counted unsold tickets and corporate boxes as losses, assets purchased with a life of 5-10yrs as an expense in the last year only instead of spreading it over the life, etc... creative accounting by the teams to make their case look stronger.

Teams such as Philly recorded a profit as they were for sale (and since have been sold) - Atlanta is recording a profit also... funnily enough they are for sale!

Most other teams broke even and the bigger market teams made money.

Reply #338049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous. A pay cut is a pay cut no matter what the salary is. Can they start the league with alternate players? Sure go right ahead...D League players are sure to bring the crowds in droves!! Fans pay to see the star players. Without the star players they have no product to sell. And why should the owners be guaranteed a profit? What other business in the world is guaranteed a profit? They chose to buy NBA teams therefore running the risk of losing money. They don't like it they can always sell the team. Besides that if the owners took the 52.7% BRI that the NBAPA offered...thats all the money they were supposedly losing anyway! And what did they give the players in return for this pay cut? Nothing. They want to take more things liks years off contracts, If you don't know the facts then probably best not to comment on it saying the players are selfish, when really the owners are the ones being selfish. We all want to see NBA basketball again but you need to understand what is actually going on. Of course u would like to make 15-20 million a year....but you rent Lebron James. Lebron generates alot more revenue than 20 million for the Miami Heat but his salary is capped. So tell me how that is fair?

Reply #338118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The teams that made money because they were being sold probably just tweeked their sheets to make it look that way. Happens in business every day of the year.

Pro sports clubs everywhere lose money, massively. Owners are donators, but with the world economy going to seriously hit the skids sometime soon there does have to be a bit of common sense here, and it needs to come from the players who are already amongst the highest paid employee groups in the world.

Reply #338131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As already said, the players have already given back enough money to cover owner losses.

Reply #338134 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

What I really get sick of is a player like Amare Stoudamire putting out a threat that the players could start their own league. Stoudamire head is so far up his ass that he thinks the players are so loved by the fans that they would pay to see them no matter what jersey they have on. Never mind the fact that fans just don't come to see their players, but they come to see their favourite team and the loyalty with their team.

Don't think that's a factor, NBL has gone downhill because teams have gone broke and there is a loss of that sentimental value for a team even when they start up again.

Players like Amare Stoudamire should think twice before making dimwitted comments like that. It takes more than players to run a team, it takes staff, facilities, good marketing and time to develop the product. The NBA has been around for 60 years and a lot affection and loyalty behind it. For Stoudamire just to shoot off his mouth suggesting that the popularity all to do with the players and if they players wanted to they could start another league and duplicate it reaches egotism, selfishness, and is just plain juvenile.

Reply #338605 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

For any other NBA junkies following the lockout mess:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/nba%20proposal%2011-11-2011.pdf

Reply #338775 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754