Anonymous
Years ago

Getting Into College Basketball

I love the NBL but am looking for something to fill that NBA void and accompany the NBL none the less. The natural decision seems to be to turn to the college basketball, as many seem to be doing.

However, I struggle to get into due to the 35 second shot clock, long half court sets style of game. Anyone else feel the same way?

Even ignoring that, how do I choose a team to support? For those who support teams, what made you do so? It kinda feels like English soccer, its the same few teams each year who will always be good and then there's the rest. You dont want to be a tool and go for one of those teams (Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky etc) but if you go for a smaller name team you'll probably never experience winning anything major.

What are peoples thoughts on all this?

Topic #26832 | Report this topic

Simon  
Years ago

I love college ball, While the rules take a little bit of getting used to seeing, the crowds and players are really passionate about it.

The issue with College ball is that there are around 350-400 DIV 1 schools, so choosing a team to support without any sort of allegiance from either being an alumni or from living in an area, it can be difficult.

I usually just go for a few teams to follow closely or a few players you want to watch play.

I understand the not wanting to cheer for the higher profile teams, but they have the best recruits so usually play the best basketball.

It's a fantastic year to begin to watch aswell with players such as Lamb (Uconn), Barnes (UNC), Sullinger (Ohio State), Jones, Teague, Gilchrist (Kentucky), P. Jones (Baylor), all looking to be high lottery picks in next years NBA draft (if there is one :/).

Hope this has helped but come NCAA tournament season the excitement is worth it.

PS. look for the Aussie college watch 2011/12 topic on here to help look for an Aussie playing over there.

Reply #339102 | Report this post

chicken parmy  
Years ago

i support whatever program is playing pretty good ball - it is just the big colleges seem to always be up there.

Watch a few games and get on board whatever teams impress.

Reply #339104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St Mary's have a great Aussie connection so they might be worth your support.... and seeing as they are a good team they are worth following... great win over Northern Iowa a few days back..... plus you'll get to see quite a number of their games on Foxtel...

SMC.... Go Gaels..!!

Reply #339108 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like Georgetown Hoyas as that was Ewing's college along with some other NBA stars like Iverson, Mourning and Dikembe

Reply #339117 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I picked my teams by who used to play there. Larry Johnson was my favourite NBA player at the time, so I picked his University, UNLV (though that program has gone downhill since then).

Also, maybe try and find a nickname or uniform you like (I know it's trivial, but it's a decent way to get into it by buying some cool merch), for me, that team was the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Reply #339123 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Sounds like you should pick your team/s based on style and philosophy, there are so many different coaching styles it sounds like that would be your go.

In the past UNLV and Arkansas have had no respect for the shot clock often shooting between 10~20 seconds, without any half court sets whatsoever, so go for them or whichever college has embraced the run and gun style this season.

Reply #339143 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I am also a UNLV Runnin Rebels fan, NZ's Mark Dickel played for them as did Shawn Marion and one of my good friends stays close to their Campus so he hooked me up with Caps and Jerseys etc

Reply #339151 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

I am an avid college basketball fan. Absolutely love the 35 second shot clock (wish they would implement it into junior rep here!) as it allows teams to set up plays and not just go one on one for a quick shot (like the nba). Lived in the US for a while and followed Indiana University, but now enjoy my Dukies (sorry if this makes me a tool). I think Coach K is a brilliant coach and really enjoy watching his teams play. Its' also great seeing crowds get so hyped during the games.

Don't think it matters who you follow. If you are watching it on Tv then most of the bigger conferences will be televised. Espn does show quite a few St Mary's games though due to our Aussie connection

Glad to hear you are wanting to fill the void with college ball...once you get drawn into it you will never look back!!!

Reply #339182 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

If you want to follow a team and not one of the predominant teams, maybe pick a team with someone you may know who is playing.
Look up http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/players_nba_ncaa_m1.html

St Marys is the safe bet if its Aussies you want to support in general.

Or maybe UMKC (Kangaroos, prolific in Missouri?)

Reply #339194 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I once wondered about a website that covered all major sporting codes where existing fans allocated attributes (like an RPG, from a fixed pool of points) to their team. Run-and-gun vs stifling D, quiet achievers vs showboaters, evergreen vs underdogs, veterans vs up-and-comers, etc. It was all averaged out.

Then incoming fans, looking for a team to support where location wasn't an issue (e.g., Australians picking an EPL or college team) would define the sort of team they liked and would be given a short list.

Reply #339195 | Report this post

Look for a team that has an aussie connection. Ask around, you will be amazed at how many people have a son or daughter playing over there or are friends of parents who have sons/daughters over there. Its always more interesting if you know someone (no matter how tenuous the connection)
A number of associations actually post details on their websites of players from their association who are involved in NCAA ball and where you can follow them.

Reply #339239 | Report this post

chicken parmy  
Years ago

there have been some good games already - duk v mich state, n carolina v mich state, kansas v kentucky, florida v ohio - if any of these have not appealed !

Reply #339252 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As you may have all already worked out, I love college hoops!

Check out the Aussie thread if you want some inspiration as for a team to follow. Startinh afresh, maybe consider Boise State who boast Drmic and Iggy, or maybe also New Mexico who have Bairstow and Greenwood?

Then there is the safe bet of SMC who have the most Aussies on their roster and have been a good team for the past 4 years as a result...

Wait for March Madness where it all gets even better!!!

Reply #339255 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Ahh the magic words.... 'March Madness'!!

Reply #339265 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754