bulkedup
Years ago

Coaching across the board in S A.

What safeguards are there in place to ensure the coach of a basketball team, ABL to juniors, is skilled in the field of physical conditioning?
What presumptions can parents make about their coach who has players doing a hundred sit ups and push ups at a training session?
Has BSA or B A ever released a guideline for physical conditioning for every age group in basketball?
Is their any continuity for physical preparation between clubs that ensures maximum results with minimum risks?
It seems like the less skilled the coach the harder the physical activities insisted upon by that coach.
I would be interested in how clubs devise their physical conditioning program. It would be interesting to see if a link existed between professional conditioning and success/lower injury rates.Do any clubs have experts in the field of physical conditioning prepare their trainings?
S A Basketball has long been accused of over-training its better athletes through a combination of lack of understanding between coaches of SASI/club etc that sees demands placed on those athletes go beyond common sense.
On the surface people in charge of both kids and adults don't seem to have a good grasp of what physical conditioning should look like.
Basketball seems locked in the dark ages with an, 'it was good enough for me', 'never hurt me' and an 'I survived" attitude that is out of place today. Make player work with intensity and hard, make them sweat and give a hundred percent but make sure you know what you are doing.

Topic #27260 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

one thing they excel at is removing every last skerrick of joy from the game..

Reply #345605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am thinking of doing what the crows do and get the boxing gloves out

give you something to whinge about then

Reply #345606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What safeguards are there in place to ensure the coach of a basketball team, ABL to juniors, is skilled in the field of physical conditioning?

The Coaching Director should have training, experience and knowledge in this area or access to those people that do.

What presumptions can parents make about their coach who has players doing a hundred sit ups and push ups at a training session?

This coach needs help.

Has BSA or B A ever released a guideline for physical conditioning for every age group in basketball?

Yes there are some out there om various forms.

Is their any continuity for physical preparation between clubs that ensures maximum results with minimum risks?

Continuity between the levels is the problem. Athletes should be training more often, in a variety of activities but less time AND travelling less.

In the US its part of the school system so they can train twice a day (conditioning/indys in the morning, team stuff in the afternoon), but for less time. They also can go to practice straight after school and they aren't working on the same stuff continuously between the disparate programs they are involved with. Here our kids in state/SASI travel hours to and from practice, then practice with their school and district teams as well. So much time in the car, so much time doing the same stuff, and no periodisation. The solution is to setup regional "SASI/NITP" centres, involve schools in district programs more and reduce the length of training times, whilst increasing the regularity.

Reply #345631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bulkedup...

I think you're definitely right about the overtraining part. Clubs that seem to have it in place are the ones with coaching directors and basketball managers that should be coaching the coaches and suggesting training routines. In my juniors experience I had coaches that ranged from like what you describe, to in between, to soft as.

I think every now and then a training session should be hard, physically, depending on the age and reasoning for it. As a junior coach myself I am not a fan of forcing kids into lots of push ups, sit ups etc. I think you can make a training session hard and rewarding by demanding hard work through drills, clear instructions and posititve motivation. I think penalties often waste a lot of valuable training time, though at certain stages can be neccessary. I went to a coaching course around 6 years ago, run by a fantastic junior coach who is now working interstate who also coached me as a junior. He would use penalties but in small sets, as it was more of just the annoyance of having to get down and do 2 pushups or situps rather than an unncessary and harder larger amount continiously. I think it would be personally ridiculous to presume and assume every person who volunteers to coach juniors across the board is going to have the skills and knowledge to properly put in place elite level conditioning and training programs, but do see your concern with coaches who do not seem to have the knowledge probably doing more harm than good.

BSA, who do a lot of nothing a lot of the time, I will probably actually back on this one. BSA do not like telling clubs how to run themselves, rarely would BSA involve themselves telling clubs directly how they should run trainings or conditioning. Though they put out guidelines for other things, like their heat policies (through their own) (which may differ from other clubs trainings) they should potentially put out guidelines for that sort of risk management when it comes to trainings. Though BSA tell clubs how to run and manage in other forms subtly (e.g. forcing the heavily un-backed youth league).

As a junior coach I also see frustration in the way basketball is run in this state. Kids doing a lot of sport and in particular higher level basketball programs seem to really push the envelope. 13-17 year old boys and girls sometimes playing and training hard at high level and intensity 7 times in a week is a bit ridiculous for me. Sadly, it seems everyone thinks their brand of basketball is holier. State Basketball, SASI, District even some school basketball consider themselves as most important and these kids never seem to get a break! Talk about ridiculous. Then add on top of that other sports as well, who also hold themselves as most important. I can't even blame the parents, what are they supposed to do? Complain, get a poor reputation with a SASI, State, District, School... I tell you what it is, sucking the most important part of the game out, the fun. Some of these coaches need to step back and get a reality check, it's all well and good to treat yourselves as an elite program and try to create the best athletes, but seriously, somebody (BSA and Clubs) take a look at this and get together to create an elite basketball program, that is taken seriously, that works well with clubs, SASI, State, other junior coaches and manages these kids properly and safely. I'm not saying everyone just needs to have fun all the time and theres no room for a bit of elite level basketball, just manage it better.

SASI do an awful job communicating with clubs as do State. They tell the kids, who don't communicate with their coaches and you end up having a stand off.

The clubs and BSA need to get together, work out a balanced elite program for the better athletes and players, put out some guidelines to all clubs and junior coaches and put egos aside. Then you'll have a modern, decent and better system with hopefully better athletes and basketballers at the end of it, who aren't burnt out, hating the game and don't come back, hence hurting the basketball community in this state.

I love coaching juniors, I think it should be taken seriously when it needs to be, but managed far better than currently. Hold the clubs to some accountability too though, they do meet up, they do talk, surely they can get things like this heading in a good direction. Let's not forget, we have a great sport that we all love, a lot of people with the best interest of the kids in mind and some pretty talented and intelligent coaches, put the blame and ego aside, work together, get something done.

Reply #345633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What safe guards to coaches have for having parents showing up with out of shape kids, kids who want it all and now, want it with limited extra work to be done by thier kids, ( Because it is too demanding ) and complain like hell when their kid does not get what she / he wants.

I'll tell you, absolutley none, this is a sport reliant on volunteers and if you think coaches suck the joy out of it, ask yourself why the good coaces are hard to find, the answer is staring you in the face.

The parents are sucking the life out of volunteer coaches who it costs them to coach these kids.

Someone go help the coach get better, parents stop complaining and maybe, people will hang around the sport longer.

Reply #345635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every sport needs volunteers but no sport needs coaches etc who are not able to manage their players safely which is the crux of this thread.
If you work your players hard and have a coherent physical conditioning program professionally designed to maximise results for your age group and you adhere to it, you are a volunteer coach made of gold.
If you just do what the wind blows and add push ups etc when you run out of ideas, run punishments for the group, ask from them what you never could have done then you probably someone who knows a bit about basketball and jack shit about looking after the interests of your players.
Never met a parent who was ever pissed off with hard work outs that left players drenched nor met ones that thought the over training and suicide/push up/sit up regime was anything more than window dressing for average coaches.

Reply #345648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problems are the kids training 6 or 7 times a week. Get rid of them and the problem is solved because the other kids wont have to train as much to keep up.....

haha. NO! Its a free world. If your kid is doing too much then simply try to stop them... Simple. I think you will find this tough though because most kids want to do whatever they can to keep up, keep their spot, be number 1, improve..

Maybe this mirrors successful lives? If you want to succeed you have to work harder than the next guy and yes that does mean making sacrifices. If you don't want to succeed or don't beleive you can then you won't work as hard.

Reply #345649 | Report this post

Z  
Years ago

A good coach can incorporate hard work, running, skills and fun. Eg. Run a suicide whilst dribbling. I dont have have enough time in my training session to watch a kid do a heap of sit ups and push ups, they can do that at home. A coach provides guidance and helps develops skills, the kids need to do the rest, its up to them what they want to get out of it.

Reply #345867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm all for the boxing!

Get hard or go home!

Reply #346031 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754