Isaac
Years ago

Live sports streaming sites shut down by US gov

This is going to impact anyone who relies on less-than-legal live sports streams that are hosted on .com, .net and .org. If your favourite sites are still up now, there's no guarantee they will be for long.

Federal authorities said Thursday they had seized and shuttered 307 domains, 16 allegedly engaged in unauthorized live sports streaming and the remainder accused of selling fake professional sports merchandise, including National Football League paraphernalia.
Full article at Wired

NBL feeds are unlikely to be targeted as the sport just isn't big enough and the league has no clout or relevance with ICE, but fans relying on those streams could be collateral damage if they're hosted by those big sites and are targeted.

Streaming sites in different domain name spaces (.ly, etc) will be harder for American authorities to tackle and will survive a while longer. I don't believe there is any risk at this point (outside of malware/etc) for the end fans using the streaming sites. Unlike drug use and maybe general copyright infringement, they are going to the source at this point.

In the end, any sites shut will just pop up again elsewhere. While the demand is there, the authorities will be playing whack-a-mole for a while yet.

Just wanted to bring it to the attention of those interested.

What's your stance on unauthorised live feeds? Is rebroadcasting defensible (in poorly reached markets, for example) or are the restrictions justified and never to be broken?

Personally, I suspect the marketplace will eventually overrun laws of copyright infringement in some spaces but the big companies with a lot at stake won't cave easily. There was an article recently with quotes from recording artist Neil Young saying that he thought online piracy of music was the new radio - free discovery of music for fans. (Not identical, just similar in some ways.) Can see his point.

I'd like to see countries consider making geo-restrictions like DVD region encoding or prevention of parallel importing illegal. If you want to profit from pricing inequality (third world labour), let consumers do the same.

Topic #27470 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm for these free pirated live streams, in a way that it exposes the sports to a wider audience that otherwise wouldn't of bothered to watch it.

EG: I have a number of friends who i would say are casual NBA fans, they watch those feeds. But now they are (mostly) gone they won't watch NBA. I'm sure they will check scores but it will be a case of out of sight out of mind, and give it a few months and they will go back to asking if Shaq still plays.
Yes there is League pass, which i LOVE! But i'm a basketball junkie. I watch it, i play it, i talk about it all day every day. I'll pay $100, 200, 500, 5,000 to watch basketball. They wont. In Australia it wouldn't matter so much if the NBA was on FTA again.

As far as the NBL live feeds go, like the music industry, the league has to grow and evolve with the times. It's no longer 1995, fans can't wait till the next day to see on their local news report if their team won or lost. They want it now and with the Internet they can get it now, whether its free via a pirated feed or the league sets up its own league pass (or live tv). Live feeds are C grade quality most of the time, but it's a means to a end.. But I don't want everyone to talk about the NBL & TV coverage again.. *Dead horse*

In saying all of that - I also agree with the FBI seizing these sites, it is against the law.. For the moment. But maybe every league should look at why they are so popular. Is it because it's free? Is it because they can watch their favorite sport/league no matter what country they're in? Etc.

I've had to many Red Bulls..

Reply #349303 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

That's not the first time Neil Young has said something I have completely agreed with.

Reply #349307 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A couple I use have recently changed their domain name, probably something to do with this.

Reply #349311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mutley and others, here's the article:

Neil Young is right — piracy is the new radio

But more than just being a source of fees, radio was also a huge publicity engine for music, and eventually this became so obvious that at one point record labels were giving radio stations and disc jockeys "payola" under the table to promote their music. And now we have come full circle with Neil Young's comment:
I look at the internet as the new radio. I look at the radio as gone. [...] Piracy is the new radio. That’s how music gets around.

Reply #349317 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac :)

Reply #349321 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The one I use is still up ; )

Have to agree with all comments on here, including Neil Young.

Very informative, thanks Isaac.

Reply #349421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754