Isaac
Years ago

Cairns release Deba George for breach of contract

The info on the NBL site doesn't go into much more detail. Just says breach of the standard league player contract.

Topic #27599 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Replacement?

Reply #351437 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sorry just read it.. Brebna elevated to squad..

Speculating but sounds like he got a drug/alcohol offence to me.. Shame this was his chance after being on the fringe for so long and now it's unlikely he will get another run in the NBL

Reply #351438 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

All due respect to him, but I don't think he is good enough to make a 10 man roster at the moment with only 9 teams in the league

Reply #351439 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I agree Ingles13. This could work out well for Cairns: Brebner is actually capable of playing useful NBL minutes.

Reply #351441 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Surely with expansion in the next two years this guy will still get a gig somewhere?

Reply #351450 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Oh absolutely Hustle, because any new franchise would be lucky to have his corn-rolls, 22% FG shooting, and 1.5 turnovers per assist.

Reply #351458 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I can assure you it's nothing to do with drugs or booz. I don't think he'll play in the league again..

Reply #351470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corn rolls ? corn rows ? corn on the cob ? not following !

Reply #351483 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Shame for Deba but happy to see Brebner back - a far more deserving player.

Reply #351488 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Crap player who took too many shots. He is the 10th man and he would throw up more shots per minute than the stars on the team (at a crap FG percentage). Doubt any team would want him.

Reply #351516 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

it read like he was dropped from the team after fridays debacle vs crocs then may have had a crack about it after the win vs melb??......fearne is not a great believer in deba's ability to succeed in the nbl.
deba is one of the most talented one on one players going around,his offensive skill set is of nbl standard.
defensively and mentally there is a big question mark.

Reply #351540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets face it - he's terrible, glad brebner gets his chance

Reply #351541 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Not sold on Brebner, he's had opportunities in Cairns and done little with them. Brebner gets the spot by default, and it goes to someone else next season.

FWIW Brebner not playing in the Cairns state league system after this NBL season is done.

Reply #351548 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Cant see it that way...

Brebner had a solid game on Saturday, and played well when it mattered at the end of last season.

His future may be unclear, but he deserves his spot now.

Reply #351569 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Id take Brebner any day of the week over Deba. Seriosuly Deba is one of those players who thinks he is a great player, but isnt (like Goulding but at least Goulding has the occassional good game).

Reply #351635 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Id take Brebner any day of the week over Deba. Seriosuly Deba is one of those players who thinks he is a great player, but isnt (like Goulding but at least Goulding has the occassional good game).

Reply #351636 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Reply #351637 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Bad luck for Deba. I seen him play up in QLD and he can play. The thing about Deba is he likes to be #1, which is probs 1 of the reasons he hasn't been able to establish a successful NBL career.

Reply #351676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think we'll see him back in the NBL.

Reply #351690 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Guy can play - no question!!!

Reply #351727 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Can probably play in the QLD state league against the kids....much different story from what I have seen in the NBL against the big boys.

At least he tries to look the part anyway.

Reply #351792 | Report this post

Deba does not drink or do drugs by speculating you are having a hand in ruining his nbl career. He can play, yes he played in qld and was an inspiration A player not given time on the court will make mistakes. He does not want to be number one he just wants to play the game he loves. Give the guy a break

Reply #351876 | Report this post

lihu  
Years ago

hope deba rips it up in qbl again this year
talented player and top bloke
deserves another chance though he probably wont get it

Reply #356203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754