AK47
Years ago

NBL Off-Season

With only a couple of weeks out from the playoffs and the season really dragging on... doesn't help when ONE HD show the same teams twice in two days either, lets talk about who will be sporting a new jersey in the 2012/13 season.

I'll go with the Tigers as a starting point. Irrespective if they have multi year deals I am giving my opinion of where they will be.

5 Tommy Greer - Very average year and nothing more than a battler at this level. Could be a target for the new franchise considering his Knox roots.
7 Ronald Dorsey - Wouldnt have been at the club if McPeake had left a few weeks earlier but with the league rule of not being allowed to bring in new foreigners if they cant qualify for the playoffs after a certain round, He stayed. Wont be back!
9 Bennie Lewis - Will get another year despite his mins being very up and down. If not at Melb might be a prime target for a Gong or Cairns type team who could use more depth.
11 Cameron Tragardh - Held the ship afloat with his dominant form early but mid season form slump and playing 5 all year hasnt helped. Will be back with a legit import big so he can recapture his Wollongong form from the playoffs a few years back.
12 Daniel Dillon - Had a great start after returning home to Melb but has looked more and more out of sorts as the season has progressed. Will be back.
13 Liam Rush- Has been a victim of the Tigers inbalanced roster. Showed about 6 weeks ago his talents going on that 4 week tear against Perth, GC amongst others. He will have options so the Tigers could hurt if he walks.
14 Josh Wilcher - Undersized and a strange choice for a development player. The writing was on the wall when they let Odogie suit up and get mins in Perth with Wilcher staying home mid season. Wont be there.
22 Matt Burston- Its over, its over now, move over its my turn now, its over the games shut down... Sorry
24 Lucas Walker- Showed on Friday why he is unique and such a hot prospect in this league. Can be very eratic and needs to work on his mid range game but should be back unless he gets a big time offer elsewhere.
45 Myron Allen - Despite his hot start and looking like a great get. He wont be back as he hasnt been able to adjust to the system (whats left of it anyway) and they will reasses import options with him not being on the priority list.
54 Tim Lang- Started on Friday night which shows how Burston is going at the moment and if the Tigers dont keep him the new franchise will considering ties with touted head coach Grant Wallce (Kilsyth)

Off-Season needs.

A new import pairing - Scoring import PG ala Ervin and Import 5 who can board hard and step out mid range to provide different looks with Trigger.

The local contingent needs some veteran prescence to pull it all together, oh how handy Corletto would be now. Crazy thought but Hoare in the shuffle would really help them next year for 10 mins a night and a great locker room guy.

Topic #27636 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Nice wrap up, here is how i see it.

5 Tommy Greer - Very average year has 1 more year on contract so he'll stay

7 Ronald Dorsey - Wouldn't think he'll be back but stranger things have hapened as he does have a contract

9 Bennie Lewis - Gone from the tigers but might get a gig at Gong otherwise he'll be a talented SEABL/BIG V player who could never crack it.

11 Cameron Tragardh - Was a star early and really is the "franchise" player for the Tigers.
If they could give him a chop out at the defensive end would be even better offensivly.

12 Daniel Dillon - Had a great start to year but the fatigue factor looks to have caught up to him playing finals into ABA into Tigers with no rest.

13 Liam Rush- Is a very solid NBL player and he is good blcok to build from moving forward

14 Josh Wilcher - Undersized and bit of a joke! C'mon we kno he can play SEABL but really who idea was it to sign him?

22 Matt Burston- To many injuries and unreliable sorry unless he wants no more than $45k per year move him on! (only good as the 3rd big up)

24 Lucas Walker- Give him 1 more year to show he is a baller and not just an natural athlete.

45 Myron Allen - Won't be back!

54 Tim Lang- He is just a banger and a little under sized to do it at NBL level so its curtains for his NBL career (I'd prefer Vander or Conn)

Reply #351990 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say Burston was injured (surprisngly) last week, hence so few minutes. People bag Wilcher but I have heard good reports about his performances at training.

If the Tigers replace Burston with someone who can stay fit and contribute, and sign another decent guard to go with Dillon and an import I think they are a playoff contender talent-wise.

Some bad reports about team chemistry emerging though so bigger changes may be required.

Reply #351999 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Tregarth might not stay unless there are coaching changes. I hope Benny Lewis comes to Cairns, he needs a change of scenrey & would flourish under Fearne!

Reply #352009 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Benny would be best advised to further his career under a coach like gordie or Fearne as they both in still great discipline in thier players

Reply #352019 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Been pushing Bennie Lewis to come to Wollongong all season. Would be a fan favorite around the Gong.

Reply #352020 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

What comes through the various replies is that the only way the Tigers will get to the finals next season is if Gleeson goes, or if there's a big clean-out and he gets the players he wants.

Can't see the first one happpening, sadly, so we may end up supporting a bunch of strangers at the start of next season.

Reply #352026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lewis cairns would be perfect.. best thing that happened to Dillon. Will be great for Benny also.. would love to see it

Reply #352071 | Report this post

Doubledoubs  
Years ago

think you guys are being abit harsh on wilcher, if he actually got some court time he would show you 'haters' that he can actually play

Reply #352082 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

The Tigers need a big man and some shooters. Personally, I think they should go after Larry Davidson. I'm not sure on his contract status, but he hasn't had a great year with the Hawks and both parties could be after a change.

If the Tigers land Davidson, that could probably save the Tigers having to pay out Dorsey's contract as an import spot won't have to be used on a big man.

Davidson -
Tragardh - Walker
Rush - Greer
Dorsey -
IMPORT - Dillon

With the final guard spot on the roster, the Tigers need to get themselves a shooter. Corletto would be perfect but that aint gonna happen. If Darren Ng doesn't get resigned by the 36ers I would love to get him across.

The final big man spot either stays with Burston or goes to somebody like Vandy.

Why is everybody hating on a development player?

Reply #352190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team succeeds in the NBL with just one point guard. I wouldnt sign a back up centre in that line-up, Davidson and Trgardh can cover that, sign two more guards so you have four on the roster. Perth, NZ, Gold Coast all have four guards.

Reply #352192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My take on each team regardless of what point in the season we are at. I personally feel it is a two horse race, almost a one horse, New Zealand by how far...

ADEL:
Keep- Diamon Simpson, Stephen Weigh, Mitchell Creek, Everard Bartlett, Daniel Johnson.
Move on- Adam Ballinger, Chris Warren, Wade Helliwell.
Unfazed- Nathan Herbert, Nathan Crosswell.
Targets- Top line import point guard, shooting and perimeter scoring and defense.

PERTH:
Keep- Damian Martin, Kevin Lisch, Brad Robbins, Cameron Tovey, Jesse Wagstaff, Matthew Knight, Luke Nevill.
Move on- Drew Williamson, Jeremiah Trueman.
Unfazed- Greg Hire.
Targets- Consider upgrading a declining Redhage and some more shooting.

CAIRNS:
Keep- Alex Loughton, Dusty Rychart, Ian Crosswhite.
Move on- Deba George, Dean Brebner, Jeff Dowdell, Kerry Williams.
Unfazed- Andrew Warren, Jamar Wilson, Aaron Grabau.
Targets- Potentially better imports but they are ok.
A consistent outside scorer.

TOWN:
Keep- Peter Crawford, Todd Blanchfield, Jacob Holmes, Luke Schenscher, Mitchell Norton, Chris Cedar.
Move on- Ben Allen, Eddie Gill, Elvin Mims.
Unfazed- Russell Hinder.
Targets- The nuecleus is there but find a better import guard and someone in Mims' mould but of better quality with some killer instinct.

GCB:
Keep- Adam Gibson, Jason Cadee, Chris Goulding, Mark Worthington, Anthony Petrie.
Move on- Adris Deleon, James Harvey, Tom Garlepp.
Unfazed- Will Hudson, Stephen Hoare.
Targets- A really big centre and some rebounding. They are close, maybe just need some better work ethic instilled.

SYDNEY:
Keep- Ben Magden, Graeme Dann, Anatoly Bose, Jerai Grant, Julian Khazzouh, Aaron Bruce.
Move on- Alex Gynes, Luke Cooper.
Unfazed- Luke Martin, Martin Iti.
Targets- Depth upfront to help bigs and a quality import guard.

WOLL:
Keep- Larry Davidson, Ayinde Ubaka, Glen Saville.
Move on- Matt Campbell, Tim Coenraad, Rhys Martin, David Gruber, Jovean Catron.
Unfazed- Oscar Forman, Tyson Demos.
Targets- A new breed. Scoring, size and athltic ability.

NZB:
Keep- Mika Vukona, Tom Abercrombie, Gary Wilkinson, Cedric Jackson, Darryl Corletto, Alex Pledger.
Move on- Benny Anthony.
Unfazed- Dillon Boucher, CJ Bruton.
Targets- Almost all bases already covered. Maybe one more big man to allow Wilkinson and Vukona to roam.

MELB:
Keep- Cameron Tragardh, Daniel Dillon, Liam Rush, Lucas Walker.
Move on- Myron Allen, Ron Dorsey, Bennie Lewis, Matt Burston, Tommy Greer.
Unfazed- Tim Lang.
Targets- A better point guard who scores. They had one! A solid import centre and some shooters.

Reply #352202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a 36ers point of view I would keep

Keep - Diamon Simpson (possibly look at Williamson again if available and considered better by the coaches and those who saw him train), Stephen Weigh, Mitchell Creek, Everard Bartlett, Daniel Johnson,Nathan Crosswell

Maybe- Adam Ballinger (alot smaller $$ contract if points cap fits), Wade Helliwell (if cheap enough and no other outstanding options),

Let go - Darren Ng, Nathan Herbert - nothing against either of them but I would be targeting a top Aussie Guard a import guard (possibly Warren or a cheap young or NZBL if we land a star Aussie) and have Crosswell and Bartlett round out the roster.

Targets -

Plan A

1. A top line Aussie/Import Guard (not exactly sure who are free agents, but we should atleast approach the best), guys from Europe including Markovic, Newley, Barlow. Guys from College Dellavedova. I beleive all the the top NBL guards ala Gibson signed multi year deals end of last season.
if we cannot land one of the top Aussies I would go for a stud import of the Gary Ervin, Ebi Ere, Willie Farley (2002 version), mould even if it means getting an unkown, but maybe trial them for a couple of weeks first, especially if they are young and straight out of college. Guys like Smyth had a good eye for import guards, maybe we should ask him to help in the scouting.

2. A good Aussie guard to upgrade on Ng and Herbert, James Harvey is one i would offer a spot to off the bench, if he has a strong pre-season could end up as a starter, given his injury history/age he could be a risk, but that could also make him very affordable, and may mean we get him reasonably cheap, as i cant see a huge bidding war on him. Others I would like to see considered from within the NBL if available are Cadee, Rhys Martin, CJ Bruton (could be the on court coach), Corletto. All who have their pros and cons, but if the veterans stay injury free or the young guys step up even just slightly would be a upgrade on our current back up guards.

If we get a stud Aussie i would give this spot to a import (if points cap permits, probably a cheapish import) and would even consider Chris Warren again in this situation as I think he will be quite good after a few years in the pros, a bit like Lisch who started slow in the NBL imo. But without the star Aussie we cant afford to have a non super star import. John Gilchrist on the cheap is one option i would consider also.

This would give the 36ers a line up of

C Johnson/Helliwell (or other cheap C)

PF Simpson/Ballinger (on the cheap)

SF Weigh/Creek

SG Star Aussie or import combo guard/Harvey or Cadee would be my first choices if a Aussie or a cheapish import possibly Chris Warren or other young or NZBL import.

PG Crosswell/Bartlett

Obviously starting guard line/rotation up will depend on the style of player the star import/aussie is.

My plan B would be to sign 2 Aussie guards for example Rhys Martin and James Harvey (or one of them and a star Aussie if we can afford it) and sign John Williamson in the 2nd import spot, as suggested by someone in another thread to help out against many of the versatile forwards in the league such as Worthington, Wagstaff who have troubled the 36ers lately.

That would have our line up looking something like

C Johnson/Helliwell
PF Simpson/Williamson
SF Weigh/Creek
SG Harvey/Bartlett
PG R.Martin/Crosswell

Either would be a upgrade on our current roster IMO.

Reply #352211 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I can't understand why anyone is keen on Lucas Walker staying at the Tigers.
Flashy dunks and blocks might excite the crowd but they don't hide the fact he's a poor defender, needs to be more agile in his movement around the court, and has few offensive options.

He needs to go somewhere that will develop his skills at both ends. How good is Gleeson at developing juniors?

Reply #352221 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Johnson/???
F Simpson/???
F Weigh /Creek
G Import/Ng
G Bartlett/Crosswell

Reply #352223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754