Jesse Wagstaff (Perth)

Topic #27912 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd swap Worthington for Wilkinson

Reply #356105 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Personally I don't understand how Mark Worthington makes the 1st team and Diamon Simpson doesnt even make the 3rd team.

Looking at the stats, Diamon had the better season.

Diamons stats on the left, Worthos on the right.

Games played - 27 v 28
Average points - 14.3 v 14.8
Shooting % - 59.2 v 43.3
Def Rebounds - 4.9 v 4.6
Off Rebounds - 3.7 v 1.6
Tot Rebounds - 8.6 v 6.2
Assists - 0.9 v 1.6
Steals - 0.9 v 1.0
Blocks - 1.5 v 0.8
Turnovers - 1.8 v 1.8

Based on Sporting Pulses Index of Success, Diamon is Number 1 in the league with a score of 544.
Wortho is 8th on 476.

I'm not saying Wortho shouldn't be in the 1st team (maybe I am a little), but how does Diamon not even get a spot in the 3rd team???

Reply #356106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson just missed the first team. Had 53 votes to Wortho and Abercrombie's 54 each.

Wagstaff was the lowest vote getter to be named with 21. Johnson had 31 to lead the Third Team.

Holmes had a good year too, but didn't make a team. And for a more successful team than Diamon.

Reply #356107 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Hey Skip, whats the Sportingpulse Index of Success you speak of? And where can we find it?

Reply #356109 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sporting pulse.

Click on Season Leaders

Then clcik on complete list and select Floor Game Summary in the drop down box.

It's in the last column

Reply #356115 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Hey skip, you forgot what seems to be the most important stat for these types of awards:

Team's position on ladder: Last vs 3rd

Reply #356117 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good points there Skip! Simpsons should have easily been ahead of Wagstaff

Reply #356118 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Juror12 - As I said, Im not saying Simpson should have been in the 1st team, but he deserved to be in the 2nd or 3rd at least.

Reply #356119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simpson wasn't even considered to be in the 36ers best five players at the end of some games this season...

Reply #356139 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Votes come from other team coaches and captains. It's very possible that they don't rate him particularly highly for whatever reason.

Also, as I said in the Wortho thread:

Each All-NBL team submitted by the voters must feature three outside players and two inside players.
Positions come into play a little.

The other factor is that MVP voting is done during the season, after each game. I think the All-NBL team voting is done at the end of the season.

Here are the bigs named ahead of Simpson. Try to imagine the thinking process of coaches and captains:

Khazzouh - NBA trial, considered one of the best in the league, fantasy stud
Wortho - Boomer, big salary, winning history, scorer and defender
Tragardh - has his flaws, but was spoken of as an MVP candidate during the season, quality scorer, dropped away as Tigers imploded
Wilkinson - champ last year, pole position for champ this year, works hard, has definite range
Johnson - likely MVP of his team, top five in scoring, ranked in blocks and boards
Wagstaff - solid contributor for an excellent team, versatile and reliable, top five 3P%

IMO, the only two Simpson has a chance against are Tragardh and Wagstaff. Wagstaff they know is a winner and that might weigh on their mind.

Another one who would've been close was Jerai Grant whose numbers are not miles off Simpson's. Also, perhaps Holmes?

Reply #356143 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would have had Trigger and Wilkonson in the first team ahead of Wortho.

Reply #356184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Isaac has nailed it with the two inside and three outside requirement. Even though Wortho is playing a lot of SF he can pass as a big.

Personally I would definitely have Wilkinson ahead of him but there were already two Breakers in there and Id imagine people would be hesistant to vote for three from one team. Had Trigger not been 'sabotaged' near the end of the season I think he would have been the other big alongside Khazzouh.

Reply #356191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754