lollipop
Years ago

Depth chart for aussie bigs

Is this the most depth we have ever had for bigs in mens basketball? It seems to go on with quality guys not even getting looks for Boomers, add to the listif I am forgetting anybody. All legit 6'10+ also and relatively young.

Bogut- nba gun when fit
Maric- big time euro star
Ogilvy- euro star/nba potential
Andersen- euro star
Baynes- euro star
Khazzouh- Will surely head overseas soon
Jawai- NBA experience/more of a pf
Nevill- NBL star/nba role player possibility
Johnson- NBL star/agile
Schenscher- NBL starter and played for Chicago Bulls
Crosswhite- Ageing though intelligent/effective
Kickert- Brett Brown rates him
Tragardh- Can play 4/5 spots and melbourne mvp
Helliwell- bonafide big man
Davidson- On his day, a true force
Forman- Good outside player for his size
Burston- read crosswhite
Any current college prospects?
Any im forgetting?

Topic #27989 | Report this topic

lollipop  
Years ago

Matty Knight and Ben Allen are 2 guns deserving of a mention also.

Reply #357225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At the moment, Andersen is probably the only one you could label 'Eurostar' unless you are talking about how they travel around the continent by train.

We do have great depth in the big stocks though, it's amazing how that has changed in the past decade or so. I wonder if it is a case of the AIS putting more effort into developing big kids, or immigration meaning there are more big kids in the country?

Reply #357226 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Maric won a euroleague mvp, that makes him a star. Also I heard Baynes was putting up good numbers in a good league?

Reply #357230 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was three seasons ago. He is not currently a star, in fact he has averaged five minutes per game in both the last two seasons. Baynes has had a good year in Greece (not the comp it once was due to the economic woes there) for one of their lower clubs. He is definitely not a Euro star though.

Reply #357232 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Paul, I reckon our bigs are doing so well because our shorter players can't match the speed and skill of the NBA or Europe.

Our players tend to also be fairly unselfish, which is why they fit into most teams even if they don't dominate the scoring.

Reply #357234 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Nevill- NBL star/nba role player possibility"

um, what?

Reply #357235 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

This is definitely the most depth we've had in our big man stocks. You forgot our captain, Matty Nielsen!

It would appear that this depth will be tested in London as Bogut and Jawai may not play.

Reply #357238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not sure about 'the speed of Europe' comment. Imports who come here from Europe have talked about the players here being quick. Certainly from watching a lot of it I wouldnt say players are quicker in Europe on average.

But what I am talking about is the amount of 6'10 plus guys we've had in recent times. The sheer numbers of big guys who can actually play a bit have gone through the roof in the past 10-15 years.

It probably just has a lot to do with the huge increase in participation that peaked in 2000 and has been fairly steady since. The more people playing the game the more big guys will come through I suppose. And then the AIS focus on giving them all-around skills probably accentuates that.

Reply #357239 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

Ben Allen does NOT deserve a mention!!!!

Reply #357245 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Of course, I knew I was forgetting someone and Nielsen it was. Where is he at these days? Spain?

Reply #357250 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Nah Lollipop. Nielsen was in Spain three seasons ago with Valencia (where Ogilvy and Newley currently play). He spent last season in Greece with Olympiakos, and this season is in Russia with BC Khimki who have made the Eurocup final four.

Reply #357252 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Yeah I think we are throwing the term "star" around a bit too much.

It's all well and good to be on a great team's roster in europe or the NBA for example but if you are hardly playing then you may as well be playing at the local weeknight league really.

Andersen is the only guy in Europe constantly averaging decent minutes and thus his numbers look OK.

Newley has hardly played at Valenica, same goes for Ogilvy.

Ingles could get more minutes on a different team, he's just on a loaded roster unfortunately.

Jawai has shown glimpses but foul trouble always brings him undone it seems. He has shown good agression this season though on offense which is positive.

Reply #357257 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Maric definitely was a star after being named best centre in Europe following his last season with Partizan Belgrade. Unfortunately he got injured early in his first season with Panathinaikos, and hasnt been the same since. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a fresh start at another club next season, and hopefully he can get his game back to where it was.

Reply #357262 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Ben Allen...? Ahh, no he doesn't deserve a mention.

Reply #357299 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Both Barca and Valencia are loaded, so it's not a surprise Newley, Ogilvy and Ingles aren't getting much minutes.

Reply #357304 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Ater Majoj??

Reply #357307 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I've stated this previously in other threads...

Where once the Boomers' strength was out back court, it is now firmly our front line that is our strength and where we have the most depth.

The pick of the big men in my opinion are:

Bogut
Andersen
Maric
Jawai
Baynes
Ogilvy
Nielsen
Kickert
Nevill
Khazzouh
Schenscher

We have never before had souch great depth in any position IMO...however without being able to consistently threaten from the perimeter, my fear is that our strength may well be negated on the world stage as opposition teams "pack it in"...

Reply #357348 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

That is an impressive list of players vying for a place and able to stake a claim to being in the mix for London.

However, I think a little perspective is required. Ranking our best front court above against other teams around the world (USA, Spain etc), our front court is far from a standout. Probably at best you would call it 'competitive' on a world stage. Certainly not a world beater.

That is before you assess our back court prospects, which, on pure talent alone, are well below the competition.

So it will still come down to Aussies playing with passion and teamwork to compete with better (and in many cases more well-drilled) teams if we are to get anywhere in the tournament. We have done it before, but even with our best front court all available and firing, IMO we will overachieve if we reach the quarter finals.

Reply #357352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia has a small-town mentality and sees our few bigs as having an unfair advantage over the typical Aussie basketballer and do their best to drag them down.

Reply #357501 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Other then Bogut, i would rather Bradtke in his peak then any of the current big men we have. he could rebound with the best of them in the world. i find our big guys are a but soft and arent good rebounders. O'gilvy has been a dissapointment in the last couple of seasons. i really thought this guy was going to be the next best thing. Would be nice to find some great outside shooters for us.

Reply #357744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754