Quagmire
Years ago

'Clutch' does it exhist?

Debate regarding the concept of 'clutch' play.

Are the 2 points scored at the end of the 2nd quarter as relevent as the 2 made on the buzzer?

Is it really luck at the end of the game, where a quality team will have put away a lesser team by then?

The data suggests that playing at home is a curse, as home town players get 'tight' in the 4th and away players play with nothing to lose...

Do you rest your star for the 4th when playing them in the late 3rd will give you a 20 point buffer?

Math vs emotion?

Topic #28064 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I think it exists.

If a game is on the line, I think it possible that some players just have a greater aptitude for being able to get to a position that they are comfortable shooting the ball; and also a keener observation of defenders to know exactly when their moment may arise to take the best shot.

Reply #358159 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

82games has the data on clutch players for the stats geeks

http://www.82games.com/1112/CSORT11.HTM

Reply #358170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well to me, in my little social team, im the guy who makes the clutch shots, because i have the experience and shoot every shot like its the same as out the back. its a mental thing that comes with time, some have it... some dont. Me and Michael Jordan have it

Reply #358177 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Do spelling lessons in primary school exist?

Reply #358186 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

Uh, alexkrad, every word is actually spelt correctly!

Reply #358192 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"its a mental thing that comes with time, some have it... some dont. Me and Michael Jordan have it"

Then there are also people who only *think* they have it, those with a hero complex. In the NBL, I'm thinking Luke Kendall surely must be an All-time "I-wanna-be-a-hero" 1st teamer. In the NBA, based on high volume with low FG% in link provided above, I'm looking at Bryant.

Reply #358211 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Just ordering players in that link based by FGA during clutch time. Seems like Jennings puts up as many as Bryant at a far worse percentage (25%). Why am I not surprised?

I'd love to see stats like that for the NBL, especially all-time.

Reply #358212 | Report this post

Y not  
Years ago

Definitely!! Melo is the man!!!

Reply #358238 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

CJ Bruton and Ron Dorsey in last years Finals series

Reply #358300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754