The_Champ33
Years ago

Indiana Pacers, the quiet achievers

This team have been the quiet achievers of the league in the East. The front court is decent and Hibbet has had a break out year. They have a fairly talented team.

Sitting pretty on 3rd place for the playoff spot.

Do you think they'll make an impact in the playoffs?
How far do you think they can do?
Do you think they are still too young and in-experienced to make an impact?

I want to hear other people's thoughts and opinions please.

I think they could make it to the 2nd round and be knocked out from there myself. They'd certainly push the team in the first round to 6 or 7 games and make them feel a little sore.

What do you think?

Please thrash out your thoughts. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Topic #28107 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

They have gone about their business so quietly this season.

I suppose it is typical of the NBA -- more attention is given to the bigger market teams.

But this team deserves its props!!

Don't know how far they can go in the post-season.
If the playoffs were played today, they would come against the Magic/Atlanta.

Both of those teams would be tough, but def could beat both those teams.
2nd round would be the real challenge.

Reply #358856 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

theyll surpirse a lot of people . they are tremendously deep , and the trade to get barbosa was steal of the year and one of the most underrated moves at the deadline i would have thought. as well as the signing of david west which also went pretty unnoticed after they stole him from boston. and even the george hill deal was good(although kawhi leanoard has proven to be a steal in the draft- but thats just san antonio i guess !!)

so assuming they challenged the bulls last year from 8th spot and then add those 3 quality guys realistically i think they can challenge the east.
theyve beaten the bulls a couple of times and im not sure about the heat but they definately have the size and capability on defence...

Hibbert/admunson/fersenko
west/hansbrough (who had a huge playoffs last year
granger/jones
george/barbosa
collison/hill/price

to me thats a championship team ? and by all reports are well coached !

but i think theyre biggest asset along with having a healthy centre who can play, is there ability to play granger at the 4 (hes a poor mans durant)!! makes them very versatile !!
i have them playing the heat in the conference finals as a rough pick!!

unless rose is out then bulls will win ;)

Reply #358865 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

They should win their first playoff series but no chance of beating Chicago or Miami in a 7 game series(and probably not Boston either).

Reply #358871 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

If Dwight Howard is healthy for the playoffs the Pacers could trip up like the Raptors did when they were the third seed in 2007. The Raptors 47-35 record was pretty modest for the 3rd seed and going into the playoffs they had a young Chris Bosh and a Rookie talent in Andrea Bargnani they were defeated by a very experienced New Jersey Nets team that had the likes of Vince Carter and Jason Kidd. Calling the Raptors loss an upset would be a bit of a stretch.

Hibbert did well this season but realistically his numbers are pretty modest. In some ways Granger should of been chosen in the all-star game over him. But the fact the reserves had to have a centre and plus Bogut and Hartford were struck with injury this season got Hibbert the Nod. I will be interested to see if he can keep progressing or he will be another Jamal Maglore right place, right time but never should be chosen as an all-star.

Reply #358883 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

he was the best centre in the east behind dwight at the time of balloting hands down.

This pacers team has a lot more experience than that raptors team did ..

Reply #358884 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like the roster too and also think it's deep. That's why I'm curious to see how they go in playoff mode.

I just wanted to hear about people's thoughts about these quiet achievers.

I think they can beat Boston. I think given they are younger with more stamina, it will get them over the line.

Reply #358899 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Good solid team that lacks the star power to go deep in the playoffs, you need at least one star to push for finals wins. Granger is solid but doesn't have that star factor. Who will produce when it counts, they don't have a Rose or Pierce or Allen to take over in the stretch. But they are a well run and well built team.

Reply #358910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So i take it you want to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions!?

Reply #358916 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I think they could beat Boston (still not sure about my team, they are on a tear at the moment but they have no depth). But I can't see them beating Chi or Miami. I just can't see who will score for them in those crunch time minutes when they need a basket.

And is it just me or does it seem like Danny Granger has regressed? Or is it just that his team mates have gotten better so he does not stand out as much anymore?

Reply #358956 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Celtic Green

I reckon his team mates have become better, the team share the ball, share the load and taken the weight off Granger's shoulders which he once carried on his lonesome. They play pretty good team ball now.

I don't see your Celtics getting far. The team lacks depth now. The team is hot and cold. I don't know who'll take over the clutch like you said either. I don't think the big 3 can perform together stat wise now. It'll be 1 or 2 at a time. Pierce and Allen can't do it all alone and Garnett is more defensive focused this season.

The Pacers will make an impact this playoffs and make their opponents sore.

Reply #358962 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I was as shocked as anyone to look at the standings today and see the Pacers so high. No doubting they deserve to be there though. New Orleans must be spewing giving up collison to keep chris paul, then losing chris paul AND David West. They might spring a few surprises in the playoffs but wont beat a Heat or Bulls as people have said. I still have a bit of love for the magic. If they are going, theyre pretty much impossible to stop with howard in the middle and their shooters. Anderson has taken his game to a new level this season. I dont see Boston going far. I just dont think theyre anywhere near the force theyve been previously. Time for a rebuild.

Reply #358970 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754