Live
Years ago

Classics finals streaming live

Classics GFs are being streamed live this year. The link is http://www.justin.tv/websterhoops. Get on board and have a look. The schedule of games is (all times Victorian):

9:00am U16 Girls Ballarat vs Melbourne
10:40am U16 Boys Melbourne vs Blackburn
12:20pm U18 Girls Melbourne vs Dandenong
2:00pm U18 Boys Sydney vs Sturt

May as well Leave game comments, thoughts, predictions etc in this thread. Good luck to everyone playing & well done to VJBL for this initiative.

Topic #28485 | Report this topic

kev  
Years ago

Oh wow fantastic.

Those times are melbourne times, so 1.30pm here in Adelaide for the U18 boys :)

Reply #365714 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

May be a slight delay as it looks as though an ambulance has been called for in the u 18 girls game

Reply #365717 | Report this post

Years ago

nothing too serious i hope ?

Reply #365727 | Report this post

Years ago

sturt get a bronze in u14g, north bronze in u16g - both teams did well exceeding expectations

Reply #365728 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Tigers player hit the floor pretty hard in the U18 girls final with 3 minutes to play.

Apparently reported some pain in arms and/or neck, so ambulance called as a precaution. Player could not be moved so game was delayed by 20 minutes or so.

Tigers still managed to defeat Dandy at the restart.

Also watched boys final with Sydney Comets hanging on against Sturt.

Sturt boys seemed to spend too much time trying to win it with the long shot. Were way more productive when driving against the defense (especially #7) ... but looked a pretty good effort from a young Sydney team.

Reply #365733 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Have to agree with the U18.

They had much better height but not size.

Sturt boys let them off the hook by shooting poorly from the perimeter most of the game.

Press was effective but I think is a hard game to play in the last game of a long tournament.

Interesting that the commentators think that Vic Metro should have two sides in all Australian Champs.

Your thoughts?

Reply #365736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt are a poor shooting team outside the key. Most of their shots are taken in the key and they get 80% in, but when you push them out, their accuracy is bad.

Reply #365737 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If the talent was spread across two teams reasonably eventy, then VIC Metro would not win a national title. If they had an A and B team, the A team would be contending for the Gold, and the B team would be competing for leftovers...

Reply #365738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comment considering no Victorian team made the under 18 grand final!

Reply #365739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys grand final that is!

Reply #365740 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Don't forget that some of the under 18 teams were missing players this weekend, so maybe this tournament is not a true reflection of how strong the affected teams really are.

Reply #365745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So were other non Victorian teams!!!

Reply #365750 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

The more interesting question around national junior champs structure is the variation between states.

Why do most states have metro/country, but Queensland have north/south ? I have no idea of the history behind this.

So given that in the other states the metro team is always way stronger than the country team ...

Would we get more even competition if all states still had two teams, but the split is geographic e.g. in Vic you could have east/west.

Of course, how to split a metro area evenly would be the challenge ... but a geographic split rather than metro/country would give a whole new dynamic to junior champs.

And what's all this about Vic dominance ? Don't forget a Sydney team won the boys and a Qld team won the girls at national schools in 2011.

Reply #365753 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

Good Vic players don't even try out for the schools

Reply #365755 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

@737

That u18 sturt team is actually the opposite of what you said. Theyre a lights out shooting team. They live and die by the 3pt ball. Today, unfortunately, they died by it.

Reply #365758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true above! They hit 9 three pointers against Southern in the state champs to win by 2 points! Catch and shooters only tho...put pressure on shooters and you win!

Reply #365773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then get an easy draw at classics, make the grand final and think you are super stars,

Reply #365790 | Report this post

Vodka 68  
Years ago

So Southern to be bashing another club for success after there own failure.

Keep bringing cutting the tall poppies down fellas.

Reply #365794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka...keep kidding yourself buddy!

Reply #365807 | Report this post

Vodka 68  
Years ago

As they say.

Proof is in the pudding.

Reply #365810 | Report this post

Demos29  
Years ago

Not sure how it's a knock on that U18 sturt team for making the grandfinal. How dare they!

And I'm sure it's just a Southern mentality to think you're superstars after losing a GF. I'm sure the Sturt boys are very dissapointed.

Reply #365814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demos I'm sure it's just a Sturt mentality that makes you spell disappointed with two s! They wouldn't want to wallow in their pity for too long because I do believe this Friday night is a Sturt v Southern night!!!

Reply #365815 | Report this post

Years ago

back to the topic - the coverage was fantastic for those that could not make it interstate

Reply #365817 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

anon #365815,

As a sturt person I do not doubt that Southern could very well win this coming Friday in numerous grades including the U18 Boys.

That said, if they do win this Friday it will not change the fact that Sturt are State Champions and National Classics silver medalists and Southern are not.

But I would not expect someone from Southern to understand that some meaningless Friday night game the week after classics is not a true measure of a teams year performance.

Reply #365826 | Report this post

Demos29  
Years ago

Haha woops my bad. I'm very "disapointed" with my grammar. I'm not a Sturt guy so don't really care about Fridays matchup. However, above post sounds pretty relevant.

Would love for other Adelaide clubs to give credit when credit is due. Think they earned it in this case - they demorolised a full strength Waverley team on their way to silver.

Their performance can only be good for basketball SA.

Reply #365831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're not a Sturt guy...haha and the pope isn't a catholic!

You still spelt disappointed wrong too!

Reply #365862 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

And anon your point is?

Reply #365865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the refs let sturt and southern bash the living daylights out of each other this Friday, I might go to watch, then sit out in the car park and watch it continue afterwards!

Reply #365867 | Report this post

lol 31  
Years ago

I doubt if Sturt will have

a) its full team;
b) any concern about actually winning this week.

Reply #365868 | Report this post

Placing for all the SA teams:

U12 Girls U12 Boys
5) Eagles 6) Eagles
10) West 11) Southern
14) Mavs 12) Woodville
15) Sturt 14) Sturt

U14 Girls U14 Boys
3) Sturt 11) Lions
6) Eagles 12) Norwood
7) Lions 13) Sturt
14) Southern 14) Southern

U16 Girls U16 Boys
3) North 7) Sturt
7) Eagles 9) Eagles
13) Norwood 12) North
14) Sturt 16) Norwood

U18 Girls U18 Boys
7) Eagles 2) Sturt
11) Mavs 9) Southern
12) Southern 11) Eagles
15) West 15) West

Reply #365873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The quality of referees at the classics were the best i have seen in 10 years of basketball. Well done to the VJBL. And i doubt if any were from Adelaide, and if they were hope you learnt something..

Reply #365882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with the above. I was at MSAC and the referees in Victoria for the most part are awesome. Its nice to be able to say that and does put in perspective because everyone in the referee fraternity here likes to put you in the referee bagger category when you complain about them here.

Reply #365883 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

Agreed,

From what I saw and had in refereeing, Dandenong was a higher standard than MSAC. But at least the tournament was consistant from game to game, with good communication and professional attitudes.

Reply #365884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed also!

Loved seeing referees being given feedback on the court after each game! Why doesn't this occur in Adelaide??? If players have coaches, why don't the umpires? And I know they have umpires in charge of the stadium but quite often they are sitting inside the umpires room on match days!

Anyway back to the Sturt v Southern match up this Friday night! ;)

Reply #365885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umpires in Victoria umpire the way it should be, no soft fouls, communicate with coaches, show respect to players and coaches, have a bit thicker skin too! SA refs should aim to be like if not better than them, starts from the top though!

Reply #365886 | Report this post

RL  
Years ago

I think the biggest thing Adelaide refs can learn is their ability to communicate and have conversations with players.

Adelaide refs are blunt and always 100 percent convinced they are right. Players understand that refs cant get it right all the time! If refs admitted it they would be better off.

I noticed Melbourne refs have two-way conversations with players. Rarely happens here. Welbourn is the only one i can think of that does it.

Reply #365901 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

That's what I found here in Adelaide a few years back when playing.

The Refs were precious and not willing to communicate with players and/or coaches. Always thought they were right and never admitting getting things wrong.

I understand the job is hard and some calls aren't always right, but a bit of communication would go a long way and add some respect.

Reply #365936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic refs also RUN, not walk, whistles in front of the mouth, not hanging out the side, look interested in the game they are umpiring, not watching the games on other courts!!

Reply #365948 | Report this post

hoff46  
Years ago

I couldn't believe ,not one three second call in both my boys classic and nunnaw matches?
Well done SA teams.Good to see some opposition teams supporting sa teams against victorian in the 14`s?That wont last long?
Lets take it into the weekend .

Reply #365973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne refs are not all that good. Ther is a small few that still that all is about them. Hoff if you coach 12s it is 5 seconds in the key in Victoria.

Reply #366008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RL
your comments are 100% regarding melbourne refs, there communication to both players were excellent. and the fact they can block out any comments from spectators and coaches also helps the game. Providing its no abuse towards the umpire or players it should be ignored.
You never see any other code football or netball stop supporters from opinions. Again so long as its not directed towards umpires or players.
But SA refs are unable to concentrate at the task at hand. As as said earlier Vic refs have whilstes ready and in position ready to make the right call. Whilst running up and down the court. Again well done Victoria.

Reply #366015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5sec in the key you say,..well one of the games we played in the opposition got to stand in the key for 29 seconds with the ball up their end... so I will assume that they give more than 5 if it takes their fancy, even if we are yelling how long...wasn't picked up even after that time.

Reply #366039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wake up people! The refs at the classics were the best refs that Melbourne have! Yes some were good yet some were still quite poor...a young blonde female springs to mind! Get your hand off it and realise we have good and bad refs in SA just like they do in Victoria and WA and NSW...and anywhere else in the world that they play basketball!

Reply #366043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 games, 12 refs... I would safely say that 10 were of a higher standard than any I've seen outside of a National Championship. Communication at the heart of it all, and a willingness to acknowledge that they don't see everything or call it all correctly. Made for a great tournament.

Reply #366045 | Report this post

oberon  
Years ago

#039, I'm tipping that you don't actually understand the 3 or 5 second in the key rule.

Reply #366049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754