Bizzy
Years ago

POTW Round 8

Was wondering who was/will be player of the week?

Topic #2851 | Report this topic

i'd say Nick hambour, but that's only going on stats. I only saw the Woodville V South game, and the MVP of that game probably would go to Puddifoot

Reply #32361 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

For mine, it would be Jason Dix, for more than his HSA. He controlled the game very well, and was instrumental in their win, a focal point the whole game.
From all acounts, N.Hambour played extremely well, his stats certainly show that, could be another in the running.

In the womens, i think Erin Phillips for her part in the thrilling win over Sturt.

Reply #32362 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It would have to go to Reesey! The big man hit two from two from beyond the arc for god's sake!!!

Reply #32364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Erin Phillips for the women -- great stats (best statline of the year in the womens league) and a tough win.

Hambour had 39 and 10, but lost. Oscar had 33 and 16 in a tough win away from home, but I think Dix should've got it for the home win against Southern: 23 points (9-13), 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 blocks is a great game.

The awards went to Hambour and Phillips for this week.

Reply #32365 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

it is obvious that they are sharing around the player of the week rather than awarding to the best player of the week. I have no problem with this up to a point but by the last few games we dont need the "water boy" getting player of the week.
What it does mean is that any past winners will need exceptional performances eg 40 and 20 or a 50 pt watson type game. And that is a fair challenge for players who have set their own bar consistently high.
How many times did flatshot er i mean jake get it last year in the mens and has the criteria changed?? It is obviously a hard choice and statistically based as no one goes to every game.
The effort by Dix is topnotch and is hard to top but you expect that kind of performance from him. Hambour exceeded expectations and POW for him might recognise that and is deserved as it was certainly in the top 5 performances of the round. The fact that he was in a beaten team indicates that your team winning is not required.

Reply #32374 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Perhaps they took into account that 39 vs Sturt is better than 23, 10, 6,6 against Southern?

Should the quality of your opposition matter?

Interesting stuff.

Reply #32377 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Dix has got to feel unlucky he got his team over the line ...

i would have given it to hambour if he could get his team the win ... but they lost

In my opinion dix was unlucky not to get potw

Reply #32378 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SKYHOOK, in Round 5, Phillips got POTW for 29, 8 and 7 versus Southern. Forman had 37 and 16 versus Forestville. Gower had 20, 18, 5 assists and 6 steals) also against Forestville. So, it's probably not the opposition that really matters.

Still, Hambour would've been top three on most people's opinions this round, so it's hardly a surprising or undeserved result.

I don't like the idea that they might be spreading the POTWs out to various teams. It seemed like they were doing this in the NBL last year and I thought that was a bit soft. It's not as though they look at the ladder positions and think, well, Sturt already have enough wins, and North did get within 2 points so let's give them championship points. Before anyone gives the "Oscar bias" crap, I've already stated that Dix would've been my choice this round.

Reply #32385 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Isaac,

Yeah i thought that isaac-goby guy was pretty harsh .. Good luck to your brother and if he does a good job (as he has done !) give him the 'props' he deserves..
Oscar will be All-Star 5 for sure this year.

On Hambour..
I hope that Nick steps up this year and gets some points in the NBL .. seems like he has worked pretty hard on his game . People forget he is only young and the big guys take a little longer to find their feet in the league.At 6'6 he aint huge but he has potential to be a handy utility of the bench IMO.
I'd love to see him develop a nice bank shot from the 45 like Sappa !!

I think we will see Puddifoot get some votes this year too .. that guy does it on so many different stat lines.

Reply #32459 | Report this post

KOBE#8  
Years ago

Oscar Forman, is tearing this league apart right now, his team has lost just once, and he is getting ridiculous stats, and he looks like he is just cruising, still just one POTW for the season, soft voting system. I have never liked the idea of a individual award given to a player on the losing team, a true MVP of a game should be on the winning team! This is not Hambour's fault, obviously, but the system is ordinary! 33 and 16 and the W is a better stat line!!

Reply #32464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hambour talked with the guys on Talking Hoops tonight, as you may have heard, and they talked him up. If he develops some range, he could well have an impact in the NBL one day. On Saturday night, he had some great, fast baseline moves. Reminded me a bit of Dusty -- almost starting a spin move before he's fully received the ball to catch defenders off-guard.

He's averaging 20 PPG and almost 9 RPG in less minutes than guys like Watson, Puddifoot and Forman.

Reply #32465 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I would have given it to Dix, it's just a routine night for him but you cant go past that stat line of 23 points (9-13), 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 blocks what a player.

Reply #32470 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Only got a chance to see the South vs Woodville game and would have to give it to Gary Birmingham, Had a great shooting game pullin up 30 points (FG 12/21)(3P 5/8)Rees close 2nd.

Reply #32480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754