Isaac
Years ago

2012 NBA Draft thread

Here's ESPN's Draftcast and DraftExpress's Draft Headquarters.

(Australian hoops bloggers, feel free to plug your draft coverage in a reasonable manner.)

Topic #28627 | Report this topic

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

How cliche are the answers the drafted players give for what they say after being drafted.."I'm just so blessed, I want to thank god..I just want to help my team win...blah blah blah" everyone feels like they've been media trained, where are the Charles Barkley personalities of the game?

are there any Aussies in this NBA draft?

Reply #368297 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Austin Rivers, No 10 wtf? can't defend..overrated as a scorer (15 ppg), at 6'3 too small for a sg and had more turnovers than assists for duke so can't play PG...must of been drafted on ego alone.

Reply #368298 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Drummond!!!

Reply #368302 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Love Harrison Barnes going to Golden State. Should be able to slot straight into their starting SF spot. A Bogut, Lee, Barnes, Thompson, Curry starting five has talent to burn. As long as they stay healthy, they will be super exciting to watch next season, and for many seasons to come as Lee is the oldest of them at only 29. Now they just need to get Patty as their back-up PG!

Reply #368309 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

As a long suffering Golden State fan, very happy with who I believe to be the most "NBA Ready" player in this year's draft. Provided Barnes is coachable, anyone for a Warriors championship in 2013-14?

Reply #368328 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

Lance-U/cut - Agreed on the lack of "genuine" personalities in the Draft, or anywhere else in the sport for that matter.. Would be nice to see a player come out and say "Thank God?? F&^k that
s#!t! I earned this by working my backside off for the last 10 years, nothin to do with religion man"

Reply #368329 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

did any Aussies nominate this time round?

Reply #368331 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I like that GS team too - what they still need thou is a wing who can get into the paint.

Reply #368332 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There weren't any Aussies in this draft.

Reply #368335 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Suns take Kendall Marshall at 13, not a very athletic pass first 6'4 PG who was averaging 9 assists pg, but only 8 ppg. a High IQ pass first pg, who is not particularly athletic taken that high in the draft...i wonder if Delly can jump up the projected draft from 2013 if he has a good senior season and olympic campaign.

Reply #368336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which teams do you think did the best and the worst from this draft?

I think GSW did very well to fill holes the really need! Barnes is a steal at 7 to fill the SF spot, Festus Ezeli will be a good back up Centre to Bogut - he could be another Serge Ibake and Drummond will be good if he pulls his finger out!

Houston blew all 3 of their picks IMO - a SG and 2 SFs when they dont have a Centre on their roster now... they really think they're getting Dwight! FAIL

Reply #368343 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Or there going to use those picks to lure howard? orlando is lacking SF's and obviously if we lose howard we are going to need a centre

Reply #368345 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Fairly bummed as Rockets fan...theyhave around 8 PF's on the roster now!! There will be trades goin down before the season, but I highly doubt Dwight is goin anywhere.

Reply #368349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised that the rockets didn't take a Centre with at least one of their picks. They could have had Zeller. I think if golden state stay healthy next year they are a playoff team,Bogut must be loving that he got traded out of a mediocre team at the Bucks

Reply #368350 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Love that Boston got Sullinger; been hoping the last few days that he will drop down to us. Ready to play alongside KG in the frontline next year, can either trade Bass (for Mayo, bench scoring is then sorted) or keep him and suddenly our frontline is back.
Melo is a project; but with KG & Pierce & Rondo hopefully they can teach him how to be a player in the NBA.
Feel bad for Drummond; he needed to go to a veteran team IMO with a strong work ethic to develop into the player he can be. Maybe dropping down all that way will be the wakeup call he needs to pull his finger out.
GSW you guys did awesome. I really like the starting 5 you are putting together now; as Vart said if they can stay healthy they are in it. Just need some bench help now and they are good for the next 5 years.

Reply #368351 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Hated the Melo pick, I really wanted pj3 but I guess it would look silly if they both went down. Also bummed the Celtics did not try and get a high 2nd to get a potential big upside 3 like Miller.

As for GSW I like the pick, good talent and come over as smart in the interviews I have seen of him. WTF were Indiana thinking though, hometown pick if there ever was one.

Reply #368356 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Hated the Melo pick, I really wanted pj3 but I guess it would look silly if they both went down. Also bummed the Celtics did not try and get a high 2nd to get a potential big upside 3 like Miller.

As for GSW I like the pick, good talent and come over as smart in the interviews I have seen of him. WTF were Indiana thinking though, hometown pick if there ever was one.

Reply #368357 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, I watched the draft, but didn't have any knowledge of the players heading in.
Who are the players to watch/likely to make an instant impact?
Doc Rivers' son didn't seem to be an overly popular pick.
I'm an Indiana fan, their pick looked like a very speculative one from what I saw. Stats weren't great, wasn't starting 5 on his team, not overly tall, athletic or anything. The poll said he was a fail pick, would that be correct?
6 players from 1 team is pretty crazy. Any of them just due to playing for the best, or were they just a ridiculously deep and talented team?
Why do teams draft international players who they have no intention of signing and probably wouldn't have any chance of making an NBA roster for at least a few years, if ever?

Reply #368358 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sullinger is a steal. Boston did really well there.

I know the back issues may be a worry.

But you can't deny what he did at OSU, and usually when a player red-flags a medical, it is the media that over-exaggerates it.

Reply #368362 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

In reply to Hendo;
The number 1 draft pick, Davis for the Hornets, is going to be a star. Once in a generation type they say, think Tim Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, that sort of level. Franchise corner stone. After that it is a bit of a crap shoot. Some could be all stars, some could drop out. I think pretty much though the first 5 guys should have long and productive careers, their teams would be pretty disappointed if they did not. MKG (2nd pick) and Robinson (5th pick) are the two guys that I think are the most NBA ready and will probably challenge the most for the ROY this year. Well, that seems to be the consensus anyway.
Indiana, well who knows. But they have found some gems the last few years (Hibbert, Granger, Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough) with not great draft position. Then again that was when Larry was in charge, who knows what has happened now.
Teams take guys from Europe for a couple of reasons; 1) they might think they are super talented and are happy to wait (Ricky Rubio). 2) They might not want someone who comes over right away and are happy to stash them there and let them grow.
Hope this answers you questions.

Reply #368364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Indiana and Utah always fight for the best white guy in the draft - Dallas/Cleveland via trade stole Zeller so Plumlee was next...

Reply #368380 | Report this post

PJ3 is the perfect fit for OKC an it was such a steal

Reply #370803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754