Isaac
Years ago

Future of Gold Coast Blaze announced tomorrow

Meers on Twitter:

A decision on the future of the Gold Coast Blaze has been delayed until tomorrow.

If they played on but lost Worthington, Gibson and Petrie (hypothetically), could they recruit from what's left to be competitive?

Topic #28657 | Report this topic

CR  
Years ago

No - completely stuffed.

Reply #368670 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Wasn't there an announcement about the future of the GCB a few weeks ago? Or has this announcement been delayed that long?

Reply #368671 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

That was when the creditors had their meeting and agreed to a certain % payout on the money owing.
When (IF)the club folds tomorrow, that all goes out the door.
The Tomlinsons had to put in $330,000 to cover those pay outs and retain the licence. The date for that was 30th June. Seeing as everyone left got sacked, I guess that meant they weren't putting it in.

"Secret investor meeting in a secret place tonight"...??? What a load of..........

Wortho already saying "they, them etc" and not "we and us".

Reply #368672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Making the Tigers look like a well-planned operation.

Wortho on Twitter:

How they can make those people wait another 24 hours on top of what they have already waited is beyond me. At this stage they have to know!!
From ANZBallaz, quoting someone previously from the Blaze, in the case that an investor signs on:
"I would say everybody will be with the team next season bar Wortho. We wouldn't sign them for one dollar less than what they were on contract for. Those guys loved being here."
However, that someone thought the Blaze were toast. Full comments here.

Reply #368676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze will be fine. It's a joke that they are allowed to continue. The current group of players should have all been made FA, as soon as they went into VA. Another poor decision, when good decisions were needed.

Reply #368678 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Who cares.............The Blaze are a joke - kick them out. Someone from BA needs to be made accountable for not enforcing the $1 miilion bank gtee.

The entire situation is a disgrace. I feel sorry for the players and staff and fans but these owners should not have the option of trying to rebuild

Reply #368688 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

R.I.P Blaze.. Feel sorry for their front office & players

Reply #368690 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

Dead. Like the NBL is heading.

Reply #368691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i do not feel sorry for the blaze! cheap organization, BJ's family deserves every cent owed to him!! screw the blaze owners. i feel sorry for the players

Reply #368700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@danielmeers: "Blaze investor was unable to produce the funds. The club now has until July 13 to find a new investor or it will fold #NBL"

Reply #368701 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

The Blaze need a miracle and won't get it. They dont have the community ties to get a community ownership model up and running in 2 weeks - what investor will bail out and organisation that has already burnt $12million and still flat broke ?

If someone does stand up - hopefully its from Brisbane and the license gets transferred back to the Bullets.

Reply #368704 | Report this post

S21  
Years ago

Wortho off to Ukraine ?

Reply #368708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is't wortho under contract? He should just came home n played for perth. The guy is from here, alwayz wana no why he never played 4 the cats?

Reply #368711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

venom dont be ridiculous as if it all just transfers to another city with no venue negotiated on, dates already booked by other events, surely i dont even have to explain the rest of the logistics. theres no just transferring any licence to another town willy nilly. jesus some people really need to get a clue or 2

Reply #368714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The talk on Ozhoops is Gibson to the 36ers & Wortho to the Tigers.

Reply #368719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wondered if Petrie could be the Sav succession plan at the Hawks?

Reply #368726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i'd like to see petrie to the hawks & goulding to sydney and gibbo to the hawks

Reply #368734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverley will always be a second tier program, you can buy success but unless you can draw and develop your own juniors without dragging them from other programs people will always see them as just that.. They also would need to get out of bigV and into Seabl before anyone would see them as a serious program, Bullock won't let that happen though, the cost of competing at Seabl level would put too much strain on his wallet and ability to develop their own talent without buying a whole team.

Reply #368736 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... wrong thread, Anon?

Out of all the players, I'd love Petrie (having to be re-rated down a point to 7, to take over from Silent Bob) in purple and gold to provide more front court depth, but Hammer has confirmed via the twitter that the Kings roster is full up... MOST disappointing that it's been filled with less than stellar players when this was a possibility...

ESPECIALLY when other bottom teams from last season like Adelaide and Melbourne have looked to make big changes and improve, and while it's still up in the air as to exactly how those players will all work together, the injection of one or two of the now out-of-contract Blaze players will most likely pull all that together and solidify the talent base even more, with only one or two teams clearly apart from the rest, at the wrong end...

Reply #368753 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

At least we no longer need to see that underperforming useless Head Coach Joey Wright.

Reply #368758 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Worthington has said tp people on the Coast that a contract in Italy is almost a done deal. (apparently)
Is there any such thing as an "almost done deal"?
To me it's either signed or not.

Reply #368762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Almost done deal would more than likely mean agreed in principal just ironing out a few finer details.

Reply #368768 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well if the Blaze fold, in the short-term its not good for the image of the league, but in the long run 3 teams in Queensland outside of Brisbane was always too many.

If investors in Brissie and Melbourne can just get it together, that would take us back up to 10 teams again and I think it would be a nicely balanced league then.

Reply #368770 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well with Keneally coming in from outside hopefully she will iron out the politics between bids and get to a point where strong bids can come from both cities. I am more confident about Melbourne though but it seems with the right leadership from BA there is potential in Brisbane.

I also hope KK engages in some meaningful dialogue with the Wellington people to see if there is actually some potential there, and if there is get something moving. A team there would bring more TV coverage which is so valuable.

Reply #368771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea i also wouldnt mind seeing a Wellington team, if nothing else it will potentially divide the top tall blacks amongst the 2 teams instead of having a stacked Breakers every year, also giving more oportunity for players, tv coverage, sponsors, if financially viable i dont see why they wouldnt bring in a Welllington team

Reply #368781 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yes, thinning out the Tall Breakers would be advantageous... Does anyone know if any of the current Breakers have any Wellington area ties? If not, why would they bother relocating and breaking up a quality team? (just playing devil's advocate)

Isn't part of the problem witht he Brisvegas bids more that there hasn't been a lack of options but more a lack of funds? People say get the investors from Brisbane, but I seem to recall that they have been very thin on the ground with the last few bids...

And even if you CAN get the money, didn't Brisbane have the pre-season tournament last season (with Gold Coast) and have barely anyone turn up?

I agree that we need a team located in that area to service the NBL fans of a wider area even down to NSW (I know some people located in northern NSW that travel to SE QLD to watch games, and did it myself from a similar area when I was in high school) but we're kidding ourselves if getting a team back in Brisbane will be financially viable easily...

Reply #368791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reported on ozhoops that blaze are gone...can any one comfirm this to be correct?

Reply #368827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance they will be dead very soon.

Reply #368831 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

whats the problem with the Breakers having a heap of NZ national team players in their squad? as mentioned before NZ are a below average team filled with guys who are NBL role players at best?

Reply #368836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol not quite mystro, lol

Definatly have an advantage when they can run Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pleadger + 2 top imports and CJ in the one squad, with little competition as most of these guys would rather play in NZ than anywhere in Oz and OZ cant pay enough extra to bring them over.

Its the equivalent of the 36ers having Newley, Gibson, Schenscher, Johnson + 2 imports and a ageing star like Saville. It would never happen in a Aussie team, and definatly would have to be without imports as players are willing to spread all over Australia.

Reply #368848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they definitely have the advantage of hjaving all played together and getting some team chemistry going. but all in all, there really isnt that many kiqis in the team, like 5 or 6 at most?

Reply #368856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2011 there were 7, last year 6.

Reply #368860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie, Vukona & Pledger were the only ones with any sort of value.

Reply #368863 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson (MVP calibre Import)
CJ Bruton (an old Man who can shoot a 3)
Darryl Corletto (discarded Tigers bench player)
Thomas Abercrombie (NBL 1st Team and home grown talent)
Dillon Boucher (old role player)
Leon Henry (Crap according to most posters on here)
Mika Vukona (NBL role player)
BJ Anthony (has been described as a scrub on here)
Gary Wilkinson (NBL 2cnd team douchebag Import)
Alex Pledger (hardly rated by many on here compared to other players in his position).

yet back 2 back championships and none of these guys would make the Boomers who are apparently an "above average" International squad. Sydney and Melbourne have comparable populations to the whole of NZ yet neither of their teams seem to be overly stacked with local players nor is anyone wanting to dilute their squads.

Reply #368876 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wookie, none of the current Breakers Squad have strong ties to the Wellington Saints.

Reply #368877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wouldnt need to pinch Breakers, if they came in they would look more at Webster, Fotu, Prewster, Tait, Horvath, Marcel Jones, Anthony and Loe to complement a couple of imports and maybe an Aussie or two.

There are some nice young Kiwis coming through, they would be ok I think in a couple of years after they have developed some.

Reply #368882 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

they don't need to pinch Breakers but then you named 2 of the Breakers development players Anon? Loe grew up in Auckland, I expect him to become a Breaker after College.

Reply #368890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development players are open slather!

Reply #368892 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Worth off to a weights room?

Reply #368919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson (MVP calibre Import)
CJ Bruton (an old Man who can shoot a 3)
Darryl Corletto (discarded Tigers bench player)
Dillon Boucher (old role player)
Leon Henry (Crap according to most posters on here)
Mika Vukona (NBL role player)
BJ Anthony (has been described as a scrub on here)
Gary Wilkinson (NBL 2cnd team douchebag Import)
Alex Pledger (hardly rated by many on here compared to other players in his position).

Um, we were talking about kiwis. Like I said the only three on the Breakers roster worth worrying about are Abercrombie, Vukona and maybe Pledger.

Reply #368959 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

whats the problem with the Breakers having a heap of NZ national team players in their squad? as mentioned before NZ are a below average team filled with guys who are NBL role players at best?

I don't think anyone has a real problem with it, but I think they've proven the benefit of having a couple of quality players surrounded by quality role players and having them being able to have played along side each other for many years, the latter I think being the key to the whole thing... Successful teams stay together and that then breeds further success... After a few lean years, they developed both Pledger and Abercrombie and those lean years are now paying off very well, and while International competition may be a different kettle of fish (translated: "kuttle of fush" ;) ), that sort of dedication over the years and having most of the team being super familiar with each other is the big thing... They play during the regular season and have also player in the off season at International campaigns, not that they win them all...

Reply #369031 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Well said Wookiee.

Reply #369038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, re-wrote some of your Breakers descriptions:

Cedric Jackson (MVP calibre import)
CJ Bruton (clutch finals performer)
Darryl Corletto (league veteran and team player)
Dillon Boucher (the indispensable vet who Bruton almost refused to come to the Breakers from Brisbane without; age hasn't stopped him doing what he does)
Leon Henry (Hey, I only said he wasn't worth a big contract)
Mika Vukona (ultimate role player)
BJ Anthony (who knows these days)
Gary Wilkinson (strong import)
Alex Pledger (to defend anyone who doesn't overrate him, Lemanis wasn't even starting him; to defend the quality of the Breakers, Lemanis has essentially squeezed out Wilkinson to elevate Pledger)

Not many teams can even list both MVP calibre and strong imports let alone add Abercrombie and so on.

Reply #369041 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Boucher got props/end thread

Reply #369178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754