Anonymous
Years ago

Kings sign Darnell Lazare

Sydney Kings' Head Coach, Shane Heal, has announced Darnell Lazare as the clubs second import for the 2012-2013 season.

During the 2010-2011 season Darnell Lazare was the Fort Wayne (Indiana) Mad Ants’ highest point scorer. His NBA D-League career includes time with the Maine Red Claws (2009-2010) and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (2010-2012).

Head Coach, Shane Heal. Said that Darnell Lazare is a great pick up for the Sydney Kings and that he will join the roster as a Power Forward.

"Lazare played very well in the NBA D-League over the past couple of years. He is a very good all round player and plays tough defence which is what we need," Heal said.

“He had a great season with the Mad Ants last year - coming out as their top scorer for the year. Darnell can score but has a very rounded game and I expect him to compliment the other players on our team,” he added.

“Our recruiting process has been long and thorough; especially with our imports. We needed a good Power Forward and we believe we have one in Darnell Lazare. He had a great college career at Louisiana State University (LSU) and has been very well coached. He could not have come more highly recommended by his past coaches, which is always a great sign,” Heal said.

Lazare has an NBA out clause with a try-out at the NBA Summer League soon.

The 203cm (6’8”), 109kg (240lbs) basketball player was born on January 29, 1985 in Lafayette, Louisiana, to parents Kerry and Julie Lazare. He is the oldest of four children – the other younger family members being Kerrylin, Braylon, and Cameron. He attended Woodlawn High School in Baton Rouge, where his coach and mentor encouraged his interest in basketball. Off the court, Darnell says that his mother is his greatest influence in his life because she pushes him to limits beyond his imagination and makes him work hard.

During the 2009-2010 season, Lazare played with the Maine Red Claws, where he averaged 10.6 points and 5.4 rebounds in 27 minutes per game in 50 games. During the 2010 NBA Development League Draft, Lazare was acquired by the Fort Wayne Mad Ants for a second round pick. In December 2011, he moved to the Indiana Pacers (NBA), but later that month signed at Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League, starting five). During his 2011-2012 season with the Mad Ants, he played 44 games: 15.5ppg, 7.0rpg, 1.8apg, FGP: 47.0%, FT: 73.1%.

Darnell Lazare’s awards and achievements include: SEC Regular Season (Western Div.) Runner-Up 2005; SEC Tournament Semi-finals, 2005, 2006; SEC Western Division Regular Season Champion 2006; NCAA Final Four, 2006; Ukrainian UBL League All-Star Game 2009; Ukrainian UBL Cup Semi-finals - 2009; Eurobasket.com All-Ukrainian UBL Honourable Mention, 2009; Eurobasket.com Ukrainian UBL All-Defensive Team, 2009; and D-League All-Star Game, 2012.

Topic #28720 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

That's good. I was wondering what the names of all of his family members were. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

Reply #369704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd, no mention of Heal being Lazare's childhood idol?

Reply #369725 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

No mention of his age either. Born in 1985 for those wondering.

Reply #369727 | Report this post

T-Rex  
Years ago

Thought Kevin Smith was the Power Forward!!!!!!

Reply #369745 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Solid player, better selection than there import guard.

Reply #369749 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Little undersized for a power forward. Especially for nba tryouts.

Reply #369751 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Kevin Smith is a back up. And he is more a 3 man who can play 4. With the right match up could also play the 2 (against slow 2 men)

Reply #369752 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Don't know if he is this big time scorer that the Kings need, although being able to shoulder being the top scorer for his D League team is a positive, and I think his ability to put numbers on the board while working hard in other areas might be more of what we need, now I think about it.

Having been around for a while, it's good to see some more experience on the team, and not just be a raw kid fresh out of college. He can help lead, be a cool head under pressure (hopefully) and while I couldn't find any highlight reels of actually him doing great stuff, maybe this is what we need? I dunno...

Reply #369757 | Report this post

Elvis  
Years ago

No mention of age hey?

The 203cm (6'8"), 109kg (240lbs) basketball player was born on January 29, 1985 in Lafayette, Louisiana, to parents Kerry and Julie Lazare.

Reply #369758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People still going on about the Kevin Smith rumour?

Reply #369807 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

People still going on about the Kevin Smith rumour?

I think it was posted on eurobasket news? Hammer has confirmed that the roster is full, but still no confirmation... maybe there's a hold up with his points rating or something?

Reply #369820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754