Isaac
Years ago

36ers after Gibson/Petrie, heading to China, etc

From Boti:

While the 36ers are in the hunt for Gold Coast Blaze's free agent duo Adam Gibson and Anthony Petrie, they can make no import decisions until their Australian content is settled.
No mention of Worthington or Goulding, which is right IMO - Gibson and Petrie are the better candidates.

Same story mentions the team heading to China for a trial tournament, and a possible NBL pre-season comp.
The Sixers will this time first host Nicholls State University at Adelaide Arena on August 4, spend August 30-September 12 in China, before contesting the NBL's annual pre-season series - tentatively scheduled for September 20-23.
It also says that Tom Daly was one of the players trialled by Wollongong recently. Not sure where Daly would fit into a team that already has Martin and Demos, but I think he deserves more NBL time wherever he can get it.

Topic #28726 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I saw Tom Daly at the Hawks scrimmage last week. He wasn't impressive at all. He wasn't bad but other fringe NBL players far outplayed him.. Like Shaun Gleeson, Jarrad Weeks & a couple of young unknown guns (one being just 17, unknown & declined AIS offer).

Adelaide is the only place for Gibson. Perth, Sydney, Melbourne & Cairns have all their back courts signed. Woolpert (Tsv) wants an import PG, so does Gordie (Wol). NZ is still an outside chance but if i was a betting man, i'd say it's Adelaide or bust.

Petrie is a little different. NZ & Wollongong are also in the hunt for him.

Reply #369768 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Schenscher (9) / Petrie (8)
Johnson (8) /
Weigh (7) / Creek (4)
Gibson (10) /
Cadee (5) Crosswell (6)

We sign them both and that leaves us with 13 points to fill out the roster. An import and a college returnee maybe?

Reply #369770 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Import + Iti or Import + Alex Opacic (who was rumoured to have committed to the Blaze before they went into VA)

Reply #369771 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I havent seen a whole heap of Petrie, but I have been really impressed from what i have seen....in saying that, is he going to be content playing off the bench? I was always under the assumption he was easily a starting quality player.

Reply #369772 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Why would Woolongong prefer to get an import guard over a proven Australian guard?

Reply #369773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding backup 2

Reply #369774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might have someone in mind? Or want more of a scorer?

Reply #369776 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gordie prefers to find the hidden gems. IE - Ervin, McKee, Grizzard etc.

I'm sure it also comes down to budget as well.

Reply #369778 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I wouldn't think the sixers could afford any imports if we sign Gibson and Petrie, you would think it would take import money to get them here.

I wouldn't mind the line up of

Schenscher/Opacic
Johnson/Petrie
Weigh/Creek
Gibson/Goulding and if not Ng
Cadee/Crosswell

All Australian line up

Reply #369779 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

In saying that, Gordie leaves for the States late this week. He may not be able to find the right player & come back and sign Gibson if he's a still a FA late in the off-season.

Reply #369780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Gibson does come to Adelaide, would be just about the perfect fit for this team.

Petrie would also be awesome.

If we get atleast Gibson we can sign a cheap Aussie big, such as Opacic or the big guy mentioned in the paper yesterday (cant think of his name),

we can then sign a import guard, i wouldnt mind seeing a Devendorf type shooter, or we could go a more versatile option ala Josh Pace or Newley as paper says we are still after him,

we then have either a import spot or Petrie if we can get him to round out the big man rotation.

If we get Petrie we have an import spot as insurance, which is also useful.

So looks like we are going to end up with

Schenscher/Young big
Johnson/Petrie or Import
Weigh/Creek
Gibson/Import or Newley
Cadee/Crosswell

Very exciting team for me, should be a playoff team, given its a contract year id say its playoffs or bust for Marty Clarke, but well done to Clarke for some good recruiting (especially if he brings in atleast Gibson and 2 solid imports)

You can obviously shuffle the starting 5 as Newley wouldnt come off the bench, could start at either SG or SF depending on who else you want to start, which gives us great versatility and flexibility should an injury occur, or the 2 bigs not work well on the court together.

Personally id probably start with

Gibson/Newley (or import)/Creek/Johnson/Schenscher

use Cadee/Weigh/Petrie (or import) as the main guys off the bench

Crosswell/Young big only play minor minutes.

Reply #369782 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Big Sexy - I'd love your line up. All Australian, but enough points still in the bank to bring in an import if a long term injury occurs to one of your starters.

Reply #369783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson is probably more expensive than many imports, which is probably why Geordie is going for a import, he would think he can probably find someone just as good/better for less money, ala Ervin and McKee in the past. So id say money is the reason for the Hawks and possibly Crocs going for imports.

Sixers are obviously prepared to pay for Gibson, and get Petrie (or a cheap import big) and a cheap import guard with a rookie/cheap big to round out the roster, instead of signing 2 expensive imports. Which i think is the correct decision.

We could still afford a import even with Gibson and Petrie imo as arent many SEABL/NZBL type imports prepared to play NBL for the same if not less than a Goulding type would cost anyway, thats why i suggested a Devendorf/Josh Pace type and id prefer either of these guys to Goulding so if they come at the same price and given we have the points we should go for the import imo.

Reply #369784 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Gibbo has a pretty high asking price! (might head to Europe depending on the GF situation)

Great off season by the 6er's we had a red hot crack a Trigger (he verbally was over the line) except for being closer to family in QLD) we had a big grack at Newley & are having a crack at Gibbo.

must say the owners have realy showen alot of faith in Marty to get the job done. If we land Gibbo he will have the first 7-8 rounds to show he can coach otherwise...good bye!

Reply #369785 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I agree with Tiger Watcher, good on the 6ers for giving it their best shot at recruiting... Obviously not working on as strict a budget as some other teams, and I think the last anon would be about right in what they could afford if both Petrie and Gibson were signed, as bringing Big Red back wouldn't have come cheap, neither would be keeping DJ or luring away Weigh... Cadee under normal circumstances would have been a bit of a price, I think, but surely he would have gone for some security over a high price tag at the time? I think any rumours of Newley coming back to the NBL is just wogwash, despite not being able to afford him if any other quality players were signed... I admire the relentless positive attitudes of 6ers fans though ;)

I hate to say it, but if the 6ers manage to get both Gibbo and Peach, anything less than top 3/4 will be a failure... Would have a lot of chemistry to work out I think, but talent-wise, HUGE moves being made...

Reply #369792 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

It would also be nice if we could keep most of the unit together for more than 2 years. I've gotten tired of seeing new faces every season who are either gone the next or the year after that.

Sure, it's the nature of the beast, but I just don't seem as interested in the personnal as I did in the past, perhaps thats the nostalgia talking, but probably more to do with the lack of on court success.

Reply #369798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those aren't rumours about Newley, more about how realistic a chance it is. The reality is that he is out of contract so teams would have to offer him something just in case he didn't get an offer in Europe after the Olympics.

Reply #369806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do get a bit sick of the Newley stuff every offseason. The guy is on $800k a year overseas, why on earth would he come back to the NBL for $150k-$200k?

Yes, he hasn't kicked on with his game and is struggling over there but who cares if teams are willing to pay you that kind of money regardless.

He's around 27 I think so doubt he would consider coming back to the NBL for a good 5-6 years.

Reply #369808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I do get a bit sick of the Newley stuff every offseason. The guy is on $800k a year overseas, why on earth would he come back to the NBL for $150k-$200k?
Because he might not get another contract over there? Unlikely, but that's why NBL teams would put their hands up just in case.

Reply #369814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showron as well oh wait he was an absolute disaster! Take the obvious don't recreate the wheel! Ur only as good a recruiter as ur last recruit.

Reply #369818 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

boti did directly quote marty as saying they expect newls to head back in a cpl of years when he is 30.

Reply #369819 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You know what I hate more than people going on about Newley coming back to the 36ers...

People that always say 'he is on $800k a year..blah blah blah, why would he come back'

Money isn't everything and people need to realise he may not even get a Euro contract after the Olympics.

Reply #369821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he might not get another contract over there? Unlikely, but that's why NBL teams would put their hands up just in case.

He'll get another contract Isaac. Maybe not for $800k but there are a million leagues in Europe and plenty of those would offer him more than what an NBL team can. Pretty sure he's an import over there too, bigger money.

It's just every bloody offseason "Oh maybe Newley might come back for around 20% of what he's been on in Europe for the last five years". Mind numbing.

Reply #369825 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Maybe not for $800k but there are a million leagues in Europe and plenty of those would offer him more than what an NBL team can."

1. $800k is the upper level of Euro salaries. Most of the other million leagues you speak of, dont pay anywhere near this.

2. He can go play in one of those millions of other leagues, but I hope he doesn't expect to be paid on time. I hope he doesn't expect to be taken care of he for example he blew his knee out.

Reply #369830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No it isn't. A number of guys in Europe on more than $1 million a season. David Andersen for example is on $1.5m-$2m a season. Yes, most leagues don't but plenty do.

2. Yes, it can be more ruthless in Europe than here that's why they get paid the big bucks hence why the vast majority of the Boomers play in Europe. Shit goes wrong at one situation you move onto the next.

Reply #369832 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I recall Martin Cattalini complaining of the frantic training and playing schedule and how even minor niggles don't get an opportunity to resolve between games and had to consider whether he would go back or not. I think those on the big $$ probably earn it. Hopefully the environemnt both on and off the court here is more attractive and may compensate for the drop in pay?

Reply #369834 | Report this post

Mr Durant  
Years ago

As much as I'd love Newley back here for the Sixers, it's not going to happen until at least 2016. Milk it for what it's worth. If he stays for as long as he can in ANY country in Europe, he will Never need to work again. Not even dodgy investments that ex pro athletes need to keep some income rolling in. Newley can sit on his pile of interest and will probably the Sixers in 6 years, run it at a massive loss and buy us some championships ( just like big Luke in Perth )

Wishfull thinking;)

Reply #369842 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think I read Newley just signed a 2 year deal?

Reply #369878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley wont play in just any European league, he wants a good league with a good team or he'll come home. In the good leagues in Europe the locals get bigger money than the imports as a rule. Newley coming back isnt completely unrealistic.

Reply #369921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide have also expressed an interest in Petrie and Goulding, as well as livewire guard Daniel Dillon, who had been waiting in the wings to be signed by the Blaze.
From GoldCoast.com.au. And that's in addition to Gibson.

Reply #369923 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Newley just then on the radio .
Hoping to have a good Olympics , then get into Houston camp.

Reply #369968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised the Rockets would still be interested in him as it's been 5 years now since they drafted him.

Reply #369983 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

^Anon, that's what second rounds picks are for, especially those in the 50-60 range that are used on international players. They're small investments for the future, that you one day hope will turn into an asset of some sort.

Realistically though, I don't see Newley getting his NBA shot until he fixes his jumpshot. He needs to be able to hit the three-ball at a much better clip to make it to that level.

Reply #369987 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

Sixers wont get Newley or Gibson both want big salary,get Petrie or Martin Iti or this youngster from tassie that radford is talking about,dont want to get another helliwell or dench or a 7ft waste of space.Hope Sixers use the trail match to tryout players to see what they can get etc.Hope Clarke searches for two quality imports for Sixers,like to see Simpson back if he fails NBA.Use the China trip to trail imports like they did ,when they got Farley.

Reply #370001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754