Tassieballer
Years ago

At 6 foot 9 am I too small to play as a PF?

I was wondering if at 6 foot 9 I am to small to play power forward in college (NCAA)?
What are your thoughts?

Topic #29081 | Report this topic

???  
Years ago

It has nothing to do with that, it is all about what you do as a player. Strong? Athletic? Run the floor, rebound? Charles Barkley was 6'4, and Glen Davis is 6'8. There are many more examples.

Reply #376143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'9 is a centre for most college teams.

Reply #376147 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Chuck Hayes, presently in NBA playing Center at 6 foot 6. so 6 foot 9 in college for PF is more than enough.

Reply #376148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you actually 6'9? Or just trying to generate an odd topic, with so many variable it makes it pointless. Ask Magic Johnson what position you can play at 6'9.

Reply #376149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son son is 18 and 6'11" in shoes 112kg, I would call him 6'10". From a young age all his game coaches wanted him to do was stand under the basket and rebound. This is because they just wanted to win games. His American individuals coach said that he wouldn't be big enough the to get a run as centre in college he would need to be able to shoot the ball. He has worked on that for the last five years. In training I've seen him hit 78 out of 100 three pointers and four half-court shots in a row. His game coaches are frustrated because they have plenty of shooters on the team and just want him playing as centre. They feel his individuals coach has wasted all that time working on footwork and his shot. I guess we will find out who was right next year.

Reply #376150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ name so we find out

Reply #376151 | Report this post

NON-PC  
Years ago

Hi Susan

thanks for your inquiry, actually there are relatively few women of your height even in the pro game ( WNBA) , so I think that once you graduate out of primary school, there are many high schools who would be open to helping you graduate from year 12 and get into a college.

Hope this is of assistance.

Reply #376152 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Blair from Spurs is 6'8 same height as bron and players centre, it's all about body size and skill set, like magic johnson was a tall pg

Reply #376210 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Simply put...6'9" is tall enough to play PF in college

Reply #376265 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Simply put: whoever started this thread is just looking for attention and gratification.

Reply #376473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply put, this is a 15 year old boy contemplating his future in our sport, looking for some constructive input. I know him and he is not interested in attention or gratification!

Reply #376483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are definitely not to small to play PF, if you are serious about reaching your potential you need to develop a go-to move and a counter move if the defence takes your go-to move away. You will also need to develop reliable a spot up jump shot.

If you are in Tassie the NITP should take care of you. There are many paths to developing into the best player you can be, just do some research and contact people that are in situations that you would like to be in and ask them what path they took.

I would say, that from my experience it would be a good idea to spend more time developing your athleticism than is common in Oz as here in the US that is a big factor in the impression you will have on coaches.

My two cents.

Reply #376538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754