Anon
Years ago

Kings' signing of Kevin White is official

SEABL has jumped the gun officially announcing Kevin White as the Kevin Smith replacement grabbing the 10th and final Sydney roster spot.
Well done Kev, hard work had paid off.

Plus shows how the Sydney front office DO NOTHING! It's about the 5th time they have missed the announcement.

Topic #29357 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Is it just me or is that a strange signing. For a team that already has Harvey, Bruce, Martin, Henry, Madgen in the guard spots, why would they be adding another guard?

Reply #379855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who was that other benchie they had? The unassuming hustle guy. Scoines. I never got the impression his ceiling was all that high, but he worked hard. Is White an upgrade on Scoines or Gynes or any of these other recent guys?

Maybe White is an example of just picking the best available player (considering budget/etc) regardless of position? Otherwise I agree with Skip, the last thing they need is another SG/PG. Only article I've read on White called him a one-two.

Reply #379860 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Scoines is recovering from knee surgery sustained during the SEABL season. I guess he was unavailable. Never seen a guy not in the NBL so professional about his nutrition, fitness, recovery, workouts. Scoines deserves another shot if fit.

Reply #379872 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

pointless signing offers nothing extra.
shouldve kept gynes. or even iti for center insurance

Reply #379908 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

In regards to Scoines, he has been told his body can't handle elite competition anymore and won't be playing SEABL again from the reports I have heard.

Reply #379909 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

I'm not one to hate, but i've gone up against Kevin White and thought not that much of him. He just doesn't have the size to compete at that level I would've thought, and didn't bring crazy speed or shooting to make up for it. But congrats to him...and good luck, i always root for guys i've played against because it makes me feel better about myself...haha

I would've thought a bruiser and competitor like Gynes would've been a better fit. Plays big and can take some fouls off the bench

Reply #379914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does an Aussie spell, CENTER? like that?

Reply #379917 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I agree re: Gynes. Not knocking White, but the Kings current roster they should have signed another 3-4.

Reply #379919 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

There is a lot of guys running around NSW or SEABL that could be better player for the Kings in that 10th man spot. Iti if you want a center, Hollis, Gynes or even Luke Overs if you want a 3/4. With the number of guys overseas from sydney if the kings got on the phone and contacted a few of them no doubt one would come back for a chance to play with the kings

Reply #379934 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Kev is a very hard working local kid and wont hurt to have around the group at all.

Shame is Scoines is done as he has something to offer at the end of a bench.

Not sure if Gynes is interested but if is was you would think they would have signed him. Plenty of potential as a SF.

Would have thought Alex Opacic would have been worth a look, played very well with Albury as starting 4 man in the championship team in the SEABL. Hollis was in the same team, a very good rebounder but not sure he has the offensive skills to play in the NBL.

They should have gone after Mirko Djeric, he is a huge prospect but now looks like headed to a career in Europe like fellow NSW star guard Steve Markovic.

Wonder if they considered big men Josh Duinker or Matt Andronicos? Both NSW kids with potential!

Reply #379952 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Andronicos was with the team in the pre-season last year before heading off somewhere else, but considering how many points he (and Ben Allen) put up against the Kings back up bigs in their pre-season games, while Kev has really worked his butt off to get another chance, he really is the wrong player for the team at this point... I'm really disappointed that no other proper or even close to legit bigs were looked at, as a solid front line is really one of our biggest weaknesses this season and I think that's going to be a struggle point, ESPECIALLY if Crosswhite isn't 100%

I thought I saw that Duinker signed overseas? But looking at some of his vids during the season last year when his name was being bandied about re: Sydney bigs, it's pretty disappointing that these options could have been available and we didn't even look at them :(

Reply #379955 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I rate Kev White and rapt he signed but it shows that Shane Heal is a knob and has no idea about team balance! He is the laughing stock of all coaches in the league.

Reply #379963 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

We will struggle to win more than 3 or 4 games all year.

Reply #380002 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Um...? Kangaroo? What?

Reply #380014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mighty Mite.

Reply #380018 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754