Sponge Bob
Years ago

Sabres Vs Tigers.

Hey does anyone know the result to the aba games 2nite?

Topic #2938 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no idea..? tigers girls prob lost again!

Reply #33387 | Report this post

Years ago

No joke anonymous with the team that the tigers are putting on the floor no wonder that they are losing!

Reply #33389 | Report this post

B Squared  
Years ago

sturt won both games quite comfortablly!!!

Reply #33391 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Sturt won both games by 30 odd.

Reply #33392 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

noel robinson has no idea what he's doing. his subbing is half the reason tigers girls keep losing.

Reply #33401 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

The other half was because they are not half the team that Sturt is

Reply #33413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the difference in talent I thought the Tigers girls did pretty well.

Reply #33414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Women won 79-46. The boxscore has Kate Jolly down for 19 assists in 15 minutes -- is that correct?? If not, what should it be?

The Bowleys led the Sabres: Monique 17 and 13, Brigid 15 and 11, Hannah 13 and 14. Angela Marino had 17 and 3 assists.

Hemmings made some quality shots to lead the Tigers with 12, and be the only Southern player in double-figures. Hendrie battled hard in the second half that I saw for 9 and 6, but 5 turnovers.

Sturt men played without Gower and Bauer (injured) while the Tigers men were without Gerlach (?). Started fairly even but then the Tigers were outclassed and the Sabres won 108-73. The Sabres ran their bench for the last few minutes, eventually giving 12 players a run and leaving Michael Humphrys to close the show with a long bomb from the corner.

Ng had 33 (11-18), 5 and 4 (best game of the last 8 weeks from him, 49.5 HSA) and Forman 24 (21 and 6 until half-time, then 3 points and no boards after that! 42 HSA in the end). Finkemeyer was also good playing a Sabres-leading 39 minutes for 14 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 4 steals -- 43 HSA).

From the Tigers, the leading scorer was Boal (15) followed by Josh Wood (11 points on 4-18 shooting) and Luke Hoban who I thought was very average until he picked up some points in garbage time. Southern also played 12 players.

Todge struggled to score (1-8 and 0-2 FT) while Bodge had 8 points and little else. Tigers have some good younger players in Wood (took 18 shots in 19 minutes though!) and Lalic who looked like he had solid potential and almost topped their HSA ratings with 3 steals, etc. Hardiman seemed to force it and wasn't really much of an impact. Dave Bowley did little wrong and has good strength to defend Forman, but didn't see many scoring opportunities. The Tigers need more shots from Lalic, Bowley and the Hodges if they're going to be more of a threat. Shame that Gerlach didn't play because it would've been nice to see a more competitive game.

Notes: No Tiger played more than 30 minutes with frequent substitutions the order of the day. It was Ng's first game shooting above 50% from outside, and his season-high in points. Forman's first game under 14 rebounds for the season, the first time he's gone without an offensive rebound, and he missed his first free throw in 4 games -- distracted by his girlfriend walking into the stadium! Without Gerlach, the Tigers were missing 19.8 PPG and 7.4 RPG. Sabres won the rebound count 62-49 and shot 42.9% to Southern's 32.1%.

Mens boxscore
Womens boxscore

Reply #33421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a real possibility that both Tiger teams could finish bottom? Has this ever happened?

Reply #33424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with all the injuries? How long will these guys be out - if Bauer and Gower miss a few games then Sturt's home court advantage thru the playoffs could be at risk. And how about Gerlach - is he injured or just not available

Reply #33425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

issac i know for a fact the sturt womans stats arent exactly right. Kate Jolly didnt get 19 assists in 15 minutes, i think there was a bit of an error there by the stats people

Reply #33426 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Holy cow,

Josh Wood - 19 minutes, 18 shots. Was he a black hole last night?

What happened to Hardiman, 3.5 HSA, and only 17 minutes?

Reply #33427 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

What about 38 rebounds between the Bowley girls? Wow!

Reply #33429 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

And what about Kate Jolly gettin 19 assists in 15 minutes? What an unbelievable performance! Good on her! 19 ASSISTS, is that an ABL record?
Anyone see the game, was she just driving and dishing or was it fast breaks or were the girls on fire everytime she passed the ball?

Reply #33430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wood seemed to be confident to put up shots and with Hardiman's not falling, may have picked up the usual shots taken by Gerlach?

Gower has shoulder issues. Bauer has a groin injury.

Reply #33431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a possibility that the tigers will get the double wooden spoon. and that the women may loose to central and give the lions the safari cup for the first time unless the coach opens up his eyes and make some changes to the side.

Reply #33433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kate Jolly only got about 1 assist 2 at the most, she my have pass the ball 19 times but thats about it

Reply #33434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be interested to know what has happened to Sarah Peddle and Jamie Fricker? After reading the stats I don't understand why some are in and some are out. Surely these two orginal tiger juniors deserve to be in the team. They were the better players last season and although Fricker lost a bit of form she is still young and deserves more opportunities. I realize Noel is in his first year as Senior coach but he is out of his depth and if things don't improve, Tigers will head down the same track as the previous coach.

Reply #33435 | Report this post

balh  
Years ago

theres no way jolly got 19 assists. i think an error there on the stats

Reply #33436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, but how many assists DID she get?

Reply #33437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #33439 | Report this post

Yet again the Tigers men showed us how NOT to win basketball games.

Issac calls the situation for what it is and as usual, he could not be more accurate... "The Tigers need more shots from Lalic, Bowley and the Hodges if they're going to be more of a threat. (#33421)"

Add Hoban to that (when he gets into some form) and there is your answer. Too many shots are being launched by the likes of Wood, Braithwaite, Gerlach, Hardiman. Sorry boys, basketball is a team game and you need to start playing accordingly. Dont like it??? Go play Tennis... CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #33446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer to your question anoynomous 33435 is nothing has happened to jamie and sarah they are just not getting picked for the team.

Reply #33447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous 33447 Why then? Have a look at the stats and i am sorry to say but there are players there with terrible stats and are still picked every week. Seems a bit unfair after week after week the same stuff happens and no changes.

Reply #33451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well a lot of people are aware of this except the only person that matters....the coach.

Reply #33455 | Report this post

wrong stats  
Years ago

Kate Jolly didn't get 19 assists the stat sheet was wrong

Reply #33457 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

I was at lastnights game......it was a disaster from my perspective. Its not a matter of the tigers having a bad batch of players.

I, as a Tigers fan, think we are a more talented squad this year than last. We've lost some guns in Clarke, Pokie and Jingles, but replaced with woody and Matty H, plus stepping up of the younger guards, I think they've been well and truely covered those losses. But what is it about the group of players this year? I'll tell you&this year they all have their own agenda! Not one player apart from Benny Hodges, and a couple of others are playing for their Singlet! They are all out there looking after themselves. Ones thinking about playing in the US, Ones thinking about his girl, a few are there to have some fitness training. Where is the passion that we saw last year? There where guys the wore there NCT singlets under the southern singlets! No Passion for the Club! It's crap!

I point my finger at the players first of all, but to get a group of guys to play AS A TEAM the coaches have to rally their troops.

Lets go lads! this is it! do it for your club, do it for your team mates!

Or if you can't be assed....Pack your bags!

Reply #33461 | Report this post

Gus the Mus  
Years ago

J Bags that is the silliest statment ive heard you say, there is no way this Tigers team is more talented than last years, just check all stats and ladder position ,it speaks for itself

Your a potato short of a full Bag

Reply #33495 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Gus,
Stats do not always reflect talent. While i agree (especially at the moment) that last years team had a greater amount of talent, the disparity is not that much.

By that rational, according to the box scores, Ali Hemmings and Brigid Bowley would be players of similar talent. Clearly this is not the case...

Reply #33496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Without Gerlach, the Tigers have no player that can smoothly beat an opponent time after time and make tough shots at a high percentage. Players that can do this from the Sabres would be Ng, Forman, Bauer and Shepherd. The majority of the Tigers' successful scores or good potential scores were hustling opportunities inside which is why I thought they would be better off pushing the ball inside, especially with Gower not on the court for Sturt. I'm not sure why Hardiman attempted 6 threes (missed all of them) despite none of them really looking close and him not having much of a track record from that distance (21.4% 3P).

Ng and Forman outclass that Southern roster with longish jumpshots, but if you compare their advantage inside (say, to one of the Hodges, Bowley or Hoban) it diminishes slightly. Unless they grab that sort of small edge, I think they'll stay at the bottom end of the ladder.

If they can't score against someone swiping for a block, they can draw a foul. Sabres went to the line 38 times last night (made 28 shots). Tigers? 7-12. Hoban had 2 attempts, Todge had 2, Bodge had none and Bowley had none. That difference shouldn't only be left to Gerlach to cover. I thought the referees were very fair so the difference can't be explained by their calling of the game.

Reply #33497 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Gus the Smat! It may not be a "more" talented team, but it is damn close. As for a team that was working toward a common goal, then my statement is correct. Last year was a better "TEAM"

You are correct this years stats are down, as well as the team on the ladder. Thats easy to see.

I'm talking about the Heart of the Tiger! Look there and then maybe you'll find some answers.

I have an amazing amount of goodies in my bag

Reply #33499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprise that J Bags talks up his mate Hodgy while having a go at everyone else.

Reply #33506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Amber Phillips injured or something? Haven't seen her play ABL for ages. If she's not she should be playing as she is clearly better than that #33 chick who ever she is?

Reply #33539 | Report this post

frankfurt  
Years ago

j bags,
most of the time, i think your comments are firstly funny, but also on the money most of the time. however on this occasion, you are quite a way off the mark.
here are my thoughts on why the tigers are not in the five like last year. missing from last year are pochintesta, jingles, and clarke. gained from last year are hardiman, wood and lalic. now whilst i think that hardiman and wood have been fair, they are a poor mans version of the pokey and jingles duo. last year, pochintesta was the tigers main man, and clarke had a career best season...so gerlach was getting the second and on occasions the third best small man defender, and was able to get much better looks due to the attention paid to pochintesta. this year, he has assumed the no.1 status and despite easily being the tigers best this year....it is making the team way too predictable, and hence the tigers are being shut down. pokey jingles' ability to create instant offence, and then be able to find the open player is being sorely missed, chuck in clarkes ability to create, and you understand how much the tigers offence has changed. hardiman and wood are able to create their own offence (although not always good shots), but very rarely create for their team mates.
somewhere in there is my thoughts, sorry if it is disjointed, but basically, i think the tigers have lost 3 talented and creative players from last year, and gained 2 players who are not quite as talented, and certainly not as creative.
the tigers heart is also lacking, and the two reasons would be, they are losing, and they have lost their leader.
will they bounce back?....not unless they create more for teammates, move the ball quicker,a nd put the ball inside on a more regular basis.
much tiger love!!

Reply #33542 | Report this post

Penguin  
Years ago

What is it with the Tigers Women's coach bringing in and selecting #12 and #33 for the team at the expense of longer serving and talented players such as Jamie Fricker and Amber Phillips? The team has got a lot of potential - pity they did not have a coach who knew how to use it! And does he actually know he can sub when players are not performing? No wonder morale is so low when players who aren't performing get picked above those who have proven they can perform if they get given a decent amount of Court time.

Reply #33562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penguin,
You need to use another alias as penguin is already being used and i can assure you that person would have no desire to comment on the southern womens team and their coach.

Reply #33563 | Report this post

Gus the Mus  
Years ago

J Bags, so now you agree with me that last years team is more talented, why did you say that ultra smat comment then?

If the Bags got a hole take it back

Reply #33571 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Anon your correct that B.Hodge is a mate, but I have not had a solid chat with him about the team and his thoughts for quite a while. It was the game against north last chat we had. I guess I'm still thinking of how things where last year again. All the boyz had a good mind set. Not this year! (Some would even say B. Hodges)

Gus  "more" talented, "as" talented, it's a technicality. They are on par in my eyes. They should be "more" after the Training that Gerlach and Hoban had with the development squad. (gerlach is still having a stellar season! Even though he was violently ill for the game on Monday)

Frankfurt your breakdown was spot on with your comparisons. It's not easy to loose such talented players and then loose your captain. But the season goes on! It shits me to tears to see the guys walk out of the change rooms in pairs and individuals with heads already hanging. (that's what happened after halftime on Monday). I think as an all-round skill level you can match Pokie for Hardiman, Pokie could shoot but Hardiman can play D & Wood is a much more complete player than Jingles. The only thing Jingles had was a higher shooting %.

OK so It's easy for me to criticize cos I don't play, but I love my tigers and you'll still be seeing me at the games still. I'm just a frustrated supporter who wants to see some W's! I miss the love that the boyz had last year, get some fire in the belly, and grow some&.claws, and lets rip the rest of the season.

I'm sleepin bags

Reply #33573 | Report this post

Years ago

Bags is spot on there are a few issues. Team chemistry appears not as solid as last years. A few points..

Hardiman was never brought in to replace Poke - He would also more than likely still be with the team if he had not suffered a ruptured achilles. Lets not even compare their levels of talent - Poke had NBL experience and was a top 5 WA ABL player / Hardiman was a bench player from Vic ABL.

Ingles / Woody is a wash however once again unfortunately for the Tigers this year they cant have both. They should however be congratulated on producing stand out players year after year - might add that Schensher could easily be their starting centre.

On top of this they have now lost their newly appointed captain and starting PG to a season ending injury.

All this adds up to opportunities and this may be a year of 1 step back before taking 2 forward. Guys like Boal, Wood, Braithwaite and Lalic will get valuable court time and experience. Heres hoping the Tigers roar througout the rest of 05 and are set for years to come.

Reply #33582 | Report this post

Candy  
Years ago

Bags i use to think you had some good comment, but i think your trying to get the best out of a bad situation and its not lookin pretty for you Bags. Pokie the same as Hardiman, please Pokie was on another playing level, he could score more points in one quarter than Hardiman has had all season. And Jingles would take Wood apart with his ball handling and shooting!
Wake up Bags i think your in lala land!!

Reply #33589 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

I'm just reading it the way that I see it. The way I see it is that the Tigers aren't a bad team, they just have to make an attitude adjustment.

I may be in Lala land, but I packed my bags so its gonna be a great trip.

Reply #33594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they need much more then an attitude adjustment bags. Haven't seen much of the action for the Tigers but from Monday nights showing, how about some offence adjustments... perhaps passing the ball to the open guy 5 feet from the basket rather then shoot it from 18+ feet with a hand in the face.

Reply #33622 | Report this post

paul bauer has osteo pubis, btw

Reply #33626 | Report this post

frankfurt  
Years ago

j bags,
i am a big fan of yours, and i know you have the best intentions with your comments, so please dont take offence when i say that your comments are way off the mark this time. hardiman is no where near what pochintesta was...not even close, he sure has some things to offer the team, but he is not on the same page as pokey, and wood being better than jingles....oh god.
come on tigers!!

Reply #33644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sarah, Jamie & Amber are doing so that they dont even stand out in a div 2 game that they lost by 39 points. I think that they should be playing in a higher grade. But dont worry cause it will be someone else's fault. It always is!

Reply #33646 | Report this post

Years ago

SO ANONYMOYS U R SAYING THAT THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT STANDING OUT IN DIV 2 GAMES WHAT A CROCK. I THINK U R BLIND. SO YOUR SAYING THAT #33 IN THE ABA TEAM IS BETTER THAN SARAH JAMIE AND AMBER... I DON'T THINK SO. ASK ANYONE.

Reply #33655 | Report this post

Gus Frackle  
Years ago

J Bags we still got love for you, if the team is not as bad as it shows, maybe their is a problem with the coaching staff, are some changes needed down in Tigerland??

Reply #33657 | Report this post

poor form  
Years ago

I think that J bags is just venting his frustration. It is hard to watch the same thing each week, and I think it is time for the coach/recruiting people/players to take some heat.

Last year's team was a much more talented group and there is potential for great teams of the future, but it is just this "in between" time that is dissapointing. I just hope that for all tigers fans we can keep the quality players (brad, josh etc) and hope that jingles returns one day. And we can get a quality guy similar to pokie (or a big man/centre). I think Monday's loss shows the impact Gerlach has not only scoring but defensive stops and creating options...

Do you think it will be long before the better players leave, surely they are going to want to further themselves and this is unlikely at Southern under Billy's coaching?? As a tiger's fan this is my ultimate fear.

Reply #33724 | Report this post

billy  
Years ago

is that you hodgey??
haha...

Reply #33743 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

It is easy to say 'get rid of the coach,' and alot of people would not have a problem with that. But why is it the coaches fault? At the end of the day, that still doesn't solve a single thing.

I think EVERYONE in the match-day group needs to look at their role and say "what am I bringing to this TEAM?" whether that be leadership, rebounds, hussle, specialist shooter. Whatever it is, there has to be a swing toward a team focus.

I don't know how they are gonna do it, but it has to change before next week.

100% biodegradable bags

Reply #33802 | Report this post

poor form  
Years ago

No! It's Tania!

Reply #33819 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

What the Tigers need is Team Spirit, and a desire to play for the Team, not themselves.
They need someone driving them who is black and gold (now maroon too)through and through and who motivates the team, reminding them what is important.
Clarke was a fantastic and overdue choice as captain, and it is so unfortunate that he is out for the year. They will, and are, missing his direction and motivation.

Reply #33896 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

they didn't win when they had him

Reply #33905 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754