peter jones
Years ago

Bill Runchey

The above mentioned was unceremouniously sacked after 27years of heading up the Frankston SEABL program. Handled really badly by the current board.Bill was just told to vitually piss off.

Topic #29418 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm waiting for the obligatory "be very careful here, if asked by police or lawyers in the right way I will pass on information" :)

Reply #380696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, heard the same thing - disgraceful !!!

Reply #380700 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Done alot for that program, guess they wanted to move in a new direction, but you'd hope it was handled in the right way for all parties concerned.

Reply #380702 | Report this post

CVC  
Years ago

Credit where it is due for Bill. That said, the Alan McAughtry era will get the Blues back on track in all areas.

The end is the beginning.

Reply #380744 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at author's request.)

Reply #380769 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bill was a great servant to the club and best of luck to him in the future, however sometimes you need change to reinvigorate an organisation or team if thats a new coach,players or adminstration.

Reply #380776 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not broken? Frankston has one of the worst venues going around. The visitors change rooms are a joke, the rims are on flimsy frames that bounce when the ball hits it and it stinks of sewer all the time.

The venue looks like a circa 1950's hall that has never been upgraded.

The above surely has to fall on Bill's head seeing as he ran the place.

Not mocking the man personally as he has done wonders to the sport but surely as the man who ran Frankston Basketball he has done a poor job.

Reply #380778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be joking right? Frankston 6 courts, 2 with main seating, a great social room that you can watch the action from court 1 & a lot more atmosphere on SEABL game nights than Kilysth, Knox, Sandringham & Nunawading put together.
Bill has done an amazing job and will be missed by the whole Frankston Basketball Community.

Reply #380782 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Funny you didn't have an issue with the 3 examples I mentioned. Does that mean you agree? And to be honest your social room is a foyer.

Kilsyth, Knox, Sandringham and Nunawading all have better venues than Frankston. No doubt about that.

Reply #380785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Number 1 court, visitors change room half a mile from the main court. Change room that were made in the dark ages. Only atmosphere was finals time. Runchey should have been moved on at least 3 years ago.

Reply #380798 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I disagree about Sandringham, but certainly Frankston needs to modernise and have had plans together for some time and are trying to source funding.

An area Bill could have done better in is advocating to govt, but the association is the absolute dominant sporting body in the region. Around 6000 people play basketball in the Frankston municipality, over double the next highest which is netball.

You cant criticise Bill without giving credit for the many successes, especially their work in local schools to create those numbers and comps for people with a disability.

Bill is still involved in FDBA operations (unless something changed over the weekend), but perhaps it is time for a new voice coaching wise. The SEABL program hasnt excelled in the past couple of years and the pathway from juniors to SEABL isnt a great one IMO.

Alan has big shoes to fill though, Bill found a way to get that team to the playoffs year after year. Big congrats to him for an outstanding coaching career.

Reply #380802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading better than Frankston - you have to be joking. You have a big problem about change rooms, ha ha - walking about 100 mtres from change room to main court - too far for you, OMG, how do you run up and down the court without getting puffed. LOL

Reply #380833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawadings change rooms are at least modern.

Reply #380913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Nunawading clean there change rooms more than once a decade!

Reply #380918 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

While we're on the topic of Frankston, does anyone know why they changed their name from the Bears to the Blues?

Reply #381493 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I must say, it is pretty disappointing that FDBA didnt let Bill finish the year off in his GM role as he had planned. The OP certainly makes more sense now.

It's not as if he wasnt going to be working for the best interests of the organisation.

The amount of knowledge that walked out that door without a proper handover is enormous, and the club definitely shot themselves in the foot on that one.

Reply #381647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear you Paul - agree 100%

Reply #381648 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

They changed to the "Bayside Blues" when they merged with Chelsea Basketball in the late 80's, early 90's. Then when Chelsea pulled out, they changed to Frankston Blues.
I also agree with Paul, the Board do not understand how this terrible decision will affect the club. #norespect.

Reply #381898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Nunawading board are just as clueless.
It really is a problem at many clubs now, boards full of people who are completely clueless making decisions they're not qualified to make.

Sad to see Bill go this way.

Reply #381960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that Bill will end up at Chelsea in some capacity (I think admin). There are people who have dealings with Chelsea that are very keen to see happen.

Reply #382367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754