Ace
Years ago

Best Crowd at ABA games

By far the best crowd attending our ABA games must be at Starplex, give it up for the 'Blue Army'

Topic #2942 | Report this topic

The truth  
Years ago

Have to agree with you ace

Reply #33456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from the Forestville crowd, that is...

Reply #33460 | Report this post

Timberwolf  
Years ago

The best crowds out side of Grand Finals at ABA games that I have seen have been in the 2001 preliminary final where Forestville hosted North where over 1000 people attended and the 2003 preliminary final where Forestville hosted West and around 800 people attended.

Eagles prevailed in both!

As for this season, Wayville would be getting the best crowds by a fair margin I would think, but I must say the Blue Army is hard to beat in terms of the most noise. Good on em, is great to see them at Centrals away games too.

Reply #33472 | Report this post

funnily enough - I was reading a 1976 Advertiser the other day and they reported 4,000 fans at Apollo attending the WQest v Glenelg local grand final - Glenelg winning narrowly.

It had a 1/5 page photo and two columns taking 1/4 of the main sports page.

crowd wise - many of these people would now follow the 36ers - but I would estimate 3,000 attend abl grand finals

last year woodies v mavs - the crowd was not a record breaker but both clubs having junior cheer squads each end continually chanted certainly made for a good atmosphere

Reply #33475 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

yeh what a great game that was, fond memories

Reply #33477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

multi function polis is absolutely correct...glenelg won back to back titles in 76-77, and apollo was packed to the rafters for both games....as was a regular occurence at all state league grand finals back in those days....maybe the league was tighter knit due to the scheduling....wednesday night 4 games in a row....go along for one night, and watch four quality games in a row...imagine that...i think the crowds would love it.

Reply #33485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not a bad idea - you definately would get people that would just hang around and make a night of it. Throw in a bbq and put drink specials in the bar and you would be able to make a night of it.

However, the length that each ABA game takes these days is aggonising - just for one game! It takes at least an hour and a half for one game - times that by 2 or 3 games and we are looking at 6 to 8 hours of basketball in one hit which is definately too much!

We would have to cut out the half time warm up drills that drag on and on and on... and multiple national anthems may not be an option either - sorry just had to add that :-)

Reply #33490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 games in a row would be great! but really who has a spare 6 hours? What time would this festival of basketball finish?

Reply #33491 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

The blue army get great numbers, but in my time at ABl games, it would be F/Ville V Sturt this year around 700+

Reply #33504 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

4 games in a row would be a nightmare for clubs.

What about all those essential volunteers, such as bench, door, canteen, stats staff, who all have lives outside of basketball.

You want to ask them to give up 10 hours (Given the 8 of games, 1 to set up, 1 to finish up) in 1 day?

Reply #33517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee i think he is talking about the old applo days when there were no home and away games. BASA ran the venue. Its probably better for your voulunteers because they can just watch the game while paid staff do the rest. Not a bad idea to do 2 or 3 times in a season but I think the Nett crowds would be down. The home and away games on saturday nights are far better.

Reply #33527 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Anon...I was referring more to the posts after saying it would be a great idea to do now.

And your paid staff...who is paying for your 4 scoretable officials, 3 statisticians, games commissioner, door staff, canteen staff?

Maybe a $27.50 entry fee?

Reply #33535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

four games in a row worked for many years at apollo and at powerhouse

two games were played at forestville and the rest at the cph.

scorers and stats people were only required to turn up for their own club games. stop organised chairpeople and each team had to supply two scorers and they did their own manual stats.

players / coaches had a chance to see their opposition. referees could interact with each other watch same with scorers etc

women played tuesday with the div ii's on wednesday on court 1 with the blue acromat between courts.

men played wednesday with the div ii's playing on tuesday

it worked but I believe BASA could make more money from social basketball or putting div iii's on as they paid to play rather than utilise two stadiums for two nights at a huge loss.

Reply #33536 | Report this post

frankfurt  
Years ago

i agree also with some of these statements.
i think 4 games would be wonderful, but maybe to make th eleague more spectator friendly....4x10 minute quarters, 10 minute warm up...7 minute half time....no anthem.
obviously, stats people would not have to do 4 games.....only their own clubs. imagine a saturday running like this....4pm centrals v north 5.30pm woodville v west; 7pm south v southern; 8.30pm forestville v sturt....surely held at wayville, this would draw some good crowds....worth a try next year?? even on a sunday to take out the sat arvo sport opposition.

Reply #33543 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With Woodville and Norwood both currently using the Dome, there is definitely the option of running 4 games (2 guys, 2 girls) there on a Saturday or Sunday.

Reply #33544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are your thoughts on the atmosphere at the dome isaac??...personally i could not think of a worse venue for atmosphere.

Reply #33546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For ABA games, it's not great because of the size. Wayville with extra stands is the best. Pasadena with the divider down (like on Monday night) is good with a decent crowd. I've never been to Starplex so can't comment on their setup. Marion and Hillcrest are too limited on one side, but it doesn't take a huge crowd to give it a busy, grassroots feel. Morphett Vale is good, through flat on the team-benches side. Port Adelaide can be OK. Mt Barker is one-sided, but there's always seating and it's nicely contained -- the main issue is that you're only looking at the team benches and not seeing any of the crowd opposite you.

Reply #33550 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Well Isaac Been to every away stadium now ... and i have to say the starplex has it hands down ... From the Comentator who gets the crowd into it to growing crowd sizes .. the noise of the Blue Army .. Plus good Music ... The Atmosphere cant Be beat ... except for the sturt eagles game which had 700 odd people ... But on a regular basis The plex has it hands down ... and anyone who has been there would agree

Reply #33574 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

(I've been there, and I don't agree).

Best atmosphere I've been to this season was North-Sturt, due to the proximity to the court more than anything. Dome atmosphere was ok on Saturday night, I didn't think the Blue Army were THAT loud though - those boys trying to put off Reesy in the foul shots was classic however!

Reply #33587 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Hey i will be the first to say the blue Army wasnt the loudest it had been agaisnt woodville ... we had a few members missing ...

Reply #33598 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

In the first couple of posts there was a mention of 1000 ppl and 800 ppl at the wayville grandfinal... how can wayville hold that many?!?!?!
100 ppl and that stand is filled, where could 700 other ppl be standing i DONT believe that but if it was true thats dam good attendance.
All grandfinals should be played at the Dome, last seasons between Woodville and Mavericks was a beauty and if f/ville do get the biggest crowds they will atleast be able to fit them in the stands.

Reply #33604 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

Libertine talked about the atmosphere of the stadium. I believe this should be the new topic. North and South have small stadiums but seem to get a decent crowd and there feels like a decent game regardless of the scores. Must give it up for the blue army though. They go everywhere to support there team.

Reply #33630 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Statue, They have their own stand that they erect on court 2 to hold more people.

Reply #33654 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Statue,

I played in the 2001 prelim at Wayville, and it was literally packed. Same goes in 2000 when Norwood played Forestville in the semi, and then when North played the Eagles in the prelim (that was the year Eagles went undefeated and lost the semi and prelim).
Both games I played in, and the Norwood game were easily the best atmosphere I had been a part of.

As a spectator the best atmosphere was when Will Bynum (Arizona) threw down against Sturt, the crowd was buzzing for 2 minutes afterwards.

Reply #33658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The atmosphere at that Sturt vs Arizona game was fantastic. Something like 800 people? Really quality crowd. I just remember watching Oscar playing more minutes than usual (no other big men in the Sturt line-up to go up against Walton, Frye, etc) and could see him tiring. From memory, David Stiff was meant to suit as a guest but couldn't play and then they didn't have any money to offer Truslove to help out. Funny to think that at least one of those Arizona guys is in the NBA and I think another one is in the draft this year(?).

Reply #33662 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

Worst ever crowd atmosphere was at pasadena for last years all star game. TERRIBLE!

Reply #33670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754