Isaac
Years ago

Joyce to join Kings for road trip, replaces Harvey

Shane Heal on Twitter:

Dan Joyce will join the kings for this weeks road trip to nth qld. Dan has been training with us since the 1st day of camp. replace harvs

Topic #29691 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

A massive mistake.

Reply #384366 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Haaaaaaaaaaaa. Finally we get the league's favourite spud back!

Reply #384367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahhahahahhaha

Reply #384377 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

well... it would be better to have one less player then that

Reply #384381 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

On my life I thought the SoJ claims were a joke.

At least I can finish off my DreamTeam with that spare $5 I have left.

Reply #384398 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

For mine Joyce has been a victim of his genetics. In his last season when he took more than 5 FGA he averaged 10ppg at 44% He also once got off for 22 against the 36ers.

Reply #384401 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Averaged 8.7ppg and shot 37% from 3 in his last year with the Blaze. Shot 40% from the field

Herbert last year = 4.4ppg, 39 % field, 29 % from 3

D.Ng last year= 6.1ppg, 40 % field, 37 % from 3.

Joyce was never as bad as anyone made him out to be. He was only 22 years old when those stats were taken at the Blaze. Those stats are better than the Cedar brothers who are 26 and 24 now.

Reply #384404 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

BFJ, the 22 was against Bruce. That was a dark day in Sixers history.

I was wondering why his father was being so biased towards the kings during commentating recently.

Reply #384412 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Unfortunately Stats don't tell you everything MACDUB - he was a talented kid who if allowed to develop naturally he could have become a good PG
his Dad however ruined all that by firstly selecting a squad that was designed to force Dan into heavy minutes and then blindly playing him when it was anvils to all and sundry that there were better options.

It's a shame as he is actually a really nice kid who worked hard, hopefully he can earn any mi utes he gets for the Kings and get some success off his own hard work rather tha preferential treatment from him father

Reply #384413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also he sank a buzzer beater for the Blaze to beat the Hawks in Wollongong.

Reply #384423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What those peddling SOJ's stats left out is the huge amount of minutes he used to play under daddy at the Hawks/Blaze. 5 minutes a game okay but the guy would routinely have 30-35 minute games, it was disgusting.

Not too sure about this past season but the one before that he was really struggling in the ABL.

Not an NBL level player especially with the contraction of teams now but as daddy and Heal are best friends...

Reply #384425 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

How about we all wait and see what happens before we judge.
Children dont get to pick relatives.

Reply #384426 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Welcome back SoJ, good luck.

Reply #384430 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hopefully it's just for this next round or two, as like Hurls said, it would have been 9 players... He's been training with them, knows the system, so for a couple of games shouldn't hurt TOO much, but if it's a long term solution, they're again getting a guard to fill a 3-spot let alone blindly ignoring the desperate help we need in the front court, and I will lose my frigging nut...

Reply #384431 | Report this post

Daly29  
Years ago

The entire Kings organisation is an absolute rabble. Crowds are way down, no one really cares in Sydney about the team other than the absolute diehards, and then you get this ridiculous decision about Joyce. Pathetic.

Reply #384435 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If the Kings go 0-2 on this trip i don't think you will have to worry about Joyce for too long, as well as a few others..

Reply #384440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see what need this fills. Already have Bruce and Madgen.

Reply #384441 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Isaac - I would suggest he is coming at next to nothing, already knows the system and can just play spot minutes.

I tweeted at Heal and he said that Madgen, White & Bruce will be playing most of the minutes that Harvey took up.

I would imagine a few lineups of Henry, Bruce, Madgen, Lazare & Garlepp/Crosswhite.

Reply #384445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor stats in recent years for the Miners.

Reply #384446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing against Henry, but if they are going to replace Harvey with a pg like Joyce, wouldnt they be better off replacing Henry with a import SF (a good allround player, who can help with the ball handling in the Hodge mould but with a jumpshot and less attitude would be ideal )and starting Bruce? Or if they wanna keep both imports they need to sign an aussie big or sf for team balance imo.

Bruce showed he is capable of being a starting pg before he got injured last year.

Otherwise Madgen and White are going to find it difficult against some of the bigger and/or more athletic SF's around the league.

Reply #384449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats weren't too poor for Ballarat last season.

28 games 11.9ppg, 2.3rpg, 1.4apg 40.9% (however only 29.4% from the land of plenty)62.9%ft

Reply #384450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor stats from someone who should dominate in the seabl.
Who is the new guy training with the Kings that is outperforming everyone?

Reply #384459 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

good luck to the guy.....i hope he kicks butt!

Reply #384468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you say he should dominate in the SEABL?
He was a solid contributer with a solid team. They had Tim Coenraad to take most of the scoring bulk.

Reply #384480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Bruce was a strong enough point guard, I think they'd be starting him and probably not in need of a PG import as they have been so keen on since last year. Henry has shown enough to keep his spot in this sort of team.

Can see the benefits of SoJ (cheap, knows system) but it's like they're allergic to small forwards. Realistically, SoJ and White as inclusions seem like strong votes against guys like Iti, Gynes, etc.

I wonder if they sounded out Bose? Not sure how much you'd get in Kazakhstan?

Reply #384485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Bose has been playing much either over there although could be injured.

Reply #384486 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lots of people talking up Gynes for a while including Boti. Stats in Seabl horrible for a teams main guy
11.9 ppg (same as SOJ) 5 and 1.2 apg at 30.7% from the field. There are very few small forwards outside of the NBL who should be on a roster. Gynes good hustle guy not much more.
Nathan Herbert best available player.

Reply #384489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gynes was injured most of the season.
herbie isn't interested. Baby on way.
Everyone has an excuse why SoJ can't rip up the SEABL. he knows the Lings system and with nothing do do it seems he has been training with the Kings all pre season. Why hire White and weeks?
Who is the new college returned player with the Kings now

Reply #384493 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nathan Herbert best available player.
Who isn't available.

Was Smith that bad? Or does Heal really rate commitment from players highly and Smith was a bit lazy?

Reply #384498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heal on Twitter:

We tried to lure Toly Bose and Daniel dillon back from Europe over the weekend. They r both happy where they are. We move on.. Ready for fri

Reply #384503 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Who is the new college returned player with the Kings now

That's been mentioned twice in here now, but the first I've heard of it... Can anyone shed any light on it?

Unfortunately for the Kings, this is the hardest spot to fill and Harvey was already a step down than what we really needed from the start, so replacing him with someone of Joyce's level, especially when we already have a SEABL/WCL level player in White on the team (even though he HAS been hustling his butt off when he's been given time) is madness.

If we can just COVER that spot, why ca't we look to fill the gaps elsewhere? We need to at least approach Nevill and get his number. Who knows? He might still be NBA focussed and not overly fussed on going somewhere cold to play, but we can't just give up and say "oh well, he's the best we can do" without turning over every single rock...

We play 14 out of our last 25 games in the next 10 rounds with 4 double round games in that bunch... it's not like we can just coast along and hope for the best...

Reply #384507 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I have tried to think and think and offer up reasons as to why, but no matter what, I can't understand the deal with Martin Iti..

Why doesn't anyone want him? Kid isn't a scrub, did okay at NMSU.

Has he not been training since his college days..7 footers with his type of athleticism don't grow on trees.

Reply #384514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest Iti looked very un-athletic in his games with the Kings last season.

Reply #384523 | Report this post

juno18  
Years ago

Admire SOJ for surviving his days at Blaze.
Not everyone could keep playing under the intense, anonymous and sometime outright crucifying criticism. Let's hope it's pay back time for Daniel.
Good luck.Bit of a pity that Gleeson has moved on. The Joyce family could still do with some good news and luck after recent events.
Also, anyone notice that Joey picks up Brendan's old jobs? Firstly as the Blaze coach and now his job at Basketball Queensland after BJ moved to Basketball Vic Country.

Reply #384573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have tried to think and think and offer up reasons as to why, but no matter what, I can't understand the deal with Martin Iti..
What I heard was that he excels in scrimmages with room to move (4 on 4) but just can't do his thing as well when it's 5 on 5 in the NBL style.

Reply #384578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I am pretty new to this site. Can someone tell me why everyone is calling Daniel Joyce SoJ?

Reply #384597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SoJ = "Son of Joyce". It's a convention which has spanned multiple sites and for a number of years. Can't even remember where it started; maybe OzHoops?

Reply #384605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754