Anonymous
Years ago

Jonny Flynn - how will he go?

With Jonny Flynn's debut against the 36ers tonight how do you think he will go?

With his NBA credentials i expence him to be of the Cedric Jackson/Gary Ervin level,

my guess is around 20 points and 8 assists, with a few big games during the season.

Given his NBA credentials anything too much less would be a bit of a let down imo, but would also show us fans how strong the NBL is as Flynn does average around 10pts in the NBA.

How do people think he will go?
will he just be a good/solid import?
will he be elite/among the best ever, ie a step up on Cedric Jackson and MVP standout?
is there anychance he will be a bust?

Topic #29879 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

it wood be good if the salary cap moves up it just shows the talent that want to play here.maybe 3million tracy mcgrady and gilbert arenas signed 4 just over a million to play in china

Reply #386487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, and we could allow clubs to build factories that print money too and the cost doesnt go against the salary cap.

Reply #386490 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

He said he would start by getting guys involved, so I'm not sure how much he will score. But they will get out in transition and I can't see anyone getting close to keeping up with him, so he should get over 20 I'd say. If he feels like getting in the paint, he will absolutely carve up Adelaide's twin towers, because he knows how to finish against seven foot guys - he grew up doing that.

Reply #386491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs can afford the salary cap! Perth 7000 + members, nz doing just fine! So it's time for other clubs got think and doing what they can to be on par with the other teams! Cairns? Great supporters, just about having a good enuf team to compete!

Reply #386493 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I think that he will have a huge impact upon the NBL, His situation is not totally dissimilar to that of David Lindstrom , who very justly earned a nick name of "the assassin" when he arrived here as a player.

Tonight may well bea turning point for a number of players and teams.

Reply #386494 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I hope he's a real lift for the Tigers and the NBL in general.

Howevr, if he gets frustrated as a result of our refs allowing too much contact while also being a lot more picky about other things he's used to, then I could see him being a bust.

I'd wait a few weeks before making a call on this.

Reply #386495 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Regardless of how the Tigers go with him on board; it will be a great boon to the league if he can manage to stay for the entire season (aka, not get the sack); just to milk the viewership and other possible upsides having a high calibre player in the league.

On a related note, I'd be interested to see if having someone like Flynn would be sustainable for a club like Melbourne. If he turns out to live up to the standard the NBA puts on players, if he could sign on for a few seasons? or do you think it's another one of those 'one time deals' you don't see again for a few seasons?

Reply #386496 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

hoopie, have you seen the NBA lately?

Ref's there are no better mate...

Players are going in for simple lay-ups or put backs and getting smashed to the floor, only to look up in amazement at a 'play on' call and watch the ball zoom down the other end on a fast break!

Worrying signs... We still play on a hard timber surface, don't we.....?

Reply #386498 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I expect him to be at least as good as Jackson & Ervin once he finds his feet. Need to be pretty amazing to get the Tiggers to the Finals tho

Reply #386502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tonight? I say 12-13 points and 8 assists.

Reply #386510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think he will struggle tonight. International basketball is very different to the NBA and especially when your first game is against Gibson. Will get much better as the season goes on, however.

Reply #386513 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

I think creek will shut him down and he will go 8 pts, 3 assists and 1 board, 5 turn overs.

Reply #386515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see him play really well and some good exciting basketball, wouldnt mind seeing him get say 25 pts 10 assists, but with the 36ers winning in a tough, exciting contest!

Will definatly be interesting to see him play the different style of basketball and how well he adjusts.

Reply #386518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon will stuggle at the start then adjust as the game goes on. Ill say 14-15pts 5-6ast. Tigers win

Reply #386521 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Spursfan... Flynn was an atrocious finisher in the with the Wolves (he was Telfair-Level but with worse handles and less quickness). I'd be wary of ascribing any kind of strength on that level to him.

I think he will surprise - on the +ve or -ve? Let's wait and see!

Reply #386527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess 4 from 17 explains why he's out here.

Reply #386584 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

just his presence lifted the Tigers

Reply #386641 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

jonny_sack - really? I used to stream a few Minnesota games when Jawai was playing with them and I remember Flynn being a gun around the rim.

Reply #386727 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty good , a little bit rusty . Seems he wants to play agen on Saturday. ' In like Flynn ' a bitta extra media also , even though some hoops reckon he cain't play , 30points is a good win .

Reply #386736 | Report this post

Fred Scuttle  
Years ago

used to watch him for 'scuse and they were always ranked in top 10 with JF at the helm.

Reply #386745 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

TV newses giving him credit for the win .

Reply #386748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tonight? I say 12-13 points and 8 assists.

He had 12 points and 7 assists.

"I don't mean to brag but I'm the greatest!"

Reply #386749 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hey .

Reply #386753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754