Simon G
Years ago

Concrete slab for basketball - what next?

Last weekend I got a 7x7m concrete slab put in my backyard for use as a basketball court.

Next step is to:
1. Install a basketball system

Tossing up between a in-ground system or a portable system, I think I need at least a 54inch backboard. Looking at the spading units at http://www.sportsmart.com.au/category.php?id=12. Kind of pissed at how expensive they are compared to Amazon or Walmart in the USA. Don't want to spend anymore than $500.any thoughts e.g. alternatives brands or shops in Adelaide that stock basketball systems, is 54inch a good size, a portable systems a waste of time?

2. Paint or put a surface on the concrete.

Any thoughts on playing on concrete with no surface? I'm a little confused with the options, some just seal it and paint it, some add sand to the paint to add grip, some get some fancy and quite expensive surfacing options with rubber and polypropylene. Lots of companies out there, but none of them seam to quote any prices. Anyone here gone down this path and if so what are the costs involved.

Thanks in advance.

Topic #30011 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Go to an engineering company and get them to build you something that you can concrete into the ground that hangs right out over your court (for layups without knocking yourself out) rather than waste money on anything else. It will then at least be solid instead of swaying in the wind or worse, stolen. Use marine ply for the backboard and seal and paint it, tape up the lines and spend the cash on a decent spring loaded hoop and then pull it apart and replace the junk cheap galvanized chinese bits with bolts and springs from an engineering supply store locally. You'll muck around a bit but in 15 years when you drive past your old place and see some kids playing 2 on 2 on your Court you'll be glad you did.

Reply #388620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simon, I can remember another thread on here about backyard court surfacing so try searching Google for something like this:

site:hoops.com.au backyard court

Reply #388631 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Don't go with an acrylic backboard....breaks too easily! Could go with sporting tiles, but very expensive, I received a quote for around $2000. Agree with Mystro regarding marine ply, that's what we did. You'll have to do a bit of research as not a common thing over here.

Reply #388637 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

ive got spalding in ground system with 54 or 60 inch acrylic backboard and its been up for 6 years no problems, the system cost $800 from rebel sport back then but it was a 1 off and ive never seen them there again as my mate wanted one. Was originally looking at the US options but postage back then was about $600 i still nearly did it though as their systems were awesome.
You need to concrete the sleve into the ground so probably should have sorted that before the slab went down as you need a big hole and a certain amount of concrete/reinforcement to stop it cracking and falling over if someone hangs on it. ive had people hang on it whendunking at 9ft and its been OK.
4 inch steel post is filled with concrete also so its a solid system and id recommend inground everyday..

Reply #388695 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You can get marine grade ply from any bunnings or equivalent. Not rare at all.

Reply #388719 | Report this post

Simon G  
Years ago

Cheers found the other thread, some good info in it.

www.hoops.com.au/forum/18875-painting-a-basketball-court/

engineering company? that sounds like mega bucks to me.

Thanks for the info on acrylic backboards, good to know. I gather marine ply and glass would be the best options for the backboard. This product looks good but can't find it in Australia.
http://www.amazon.com/Spalding-88454G-Backboard-In-Ground-Basketball/dp/B002C3BBQK

Spoke to a guy yesterday who advised to either get someone in that does tennis courts to surface the concrete or go to Solver and ask to speak to someone that knows what they are talking about and buy some paint that has grip added to it e.g. fine sand.

Reply #388761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754