Anonymous
Years ago

The CJ Massingale Award

I think the NBL should introduce the CJ Massingale Award for players who still have an NBL job and who are less productive than CJ Massingale. This doesn't include development players or players who only get junk time, but rather players in the rotation who are struggling.

I would say the front runners for this award this year would be:

(1) Tommy Greer - Melbourne - The skipper is averaging 16 minutes per game and manages to get his 1.2ppg while shooting the ball at 22% from the field and an impressive 14% for the 3. His 2.1 fouls per game highlights his leadership.

(2) Kevin White - Sydney - bit harsh for the second year player to make the list, but he gets 14 minutes per contest to shoot the ball at 28% from the field and 21% for 3 while getting 2 points per game. Surely if CJ was naturalised he would look like an all star compared to White.

(3) Cameron Tovey - Perth - Tovey averages 19 minutes per game and appears to have forgotten that part of the game is to shoot. He gets his 1.1 points per game while shooting 14% for 3 and 31% from the field. Still hasn't gone to the FT line in 190 minutes of basketball outlining his toughness. Has really regressed since 2011 season

(4) Kerry Williams - Cairns - in his 13 minutes per night he does get 1.8 assists while scoring 1.7 points, but his 10% 3 point percentage hurts as well as the fact he got 12 assists in first 3 games of the season and only 4 in next 6 games.

(5) Nate Tomlinson - Melbourne - a bit harsh for the rookie as he gets 2.2 assist per game and plays tough D, but to shoot the 3 at 9% and be 24% from the field is a little embarrassing for a SEABL player let alone an NBL players.

Topic #30162 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Tovey is the most overrated player of all-time - can't believe these "experts" label him a star

Reply #391080 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tommy Greer very overrated.Would like to see Shaun Bruce get more game time ahead of Kerry Williams.The other guys are serviceable.

Reply #391083 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Hes a poor mans, poor mans, poor mans... poor man

Reply #391084 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I cant believe all this uproar over CJ ,the way people are going on and on one would think he is a star !. Enough already I say. Even this site people were saying he was nervous and wouldnt last long so cant have it both ways. I think they made the right decision. He wasnt good enough . That was plain and simple

Reply #391088 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I loved CJ.

Reply #391095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shhhhhhhhhhh pure silk

Reply #391097 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He wasnt good enough in this system, might be better suited to Townsville's. Also clearly struggled with the step up in intensity, it's a big difference between the NBL and SEABL.

Reply #391105 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

To all aspiring young basketballers out there. Give Adelaide a miss. If you don't get shafted you will get mauled to death and belittled by faceless supporters . I was a fan a week ago. Just another team now.

Reply #391108 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

Well said clapped out hack.......warning people while yourself being faceless and admitting you are fickle enough to jump ship in a week because you may not agree with a decision that had to be made.

just because Boti has a man crush on him doesnt mean he is right, this is the same Boti who slammed these imports over the last few years to only now refer to them because it suits his argument with a friend.

Many good SANFL footballers are not good enough in the AFL

Many good SEABL players just were not good enough in the NBL.

As Pure Silk points out, many people happy to slam him until something is done and then they react, talk about faceless !!

Reply #391115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ only played more than 15 mins twice,

In those 2 games he averaged 11.5 pts, 0.5 assists, 3 rebounds, that is pretty damm good for around 17 mins court time, im certain that if he had played around 15 mins a game, which i thought he should have from day 1, he would have averaged those numbers and had a few big ones along the way. His shooting % would improve as he would gain more confidence/rythm.

He is also 4th in the 36ers in the Effieicency ranking, meaning he is playing well when on.

How could anyone say he isnt atleast good enough to come off an NBL bench as a 6th-8th man? If he were an Aussie no one would dispute it at all, I'd take him over most back up sg in the league, and over atleast Goulding who starts.

Not saying he is good enough to be the next Rob Rose, but he is definatly good enough to play atleast 15 mins per game off a NBL bench.

If you want more out of an import, well spend more, dont sign a cheap import, and sign a stud. You cant have it both ways, you dont get Cedric Jackson level for 37k.

If there are other isssues/personality, which no one has indicated, or the wrong style of player then fine, but dont say he isnt talented enough to be in the league or hasnt stepped up after a strong pre season as Clark did, as a star import he probably isnt, but as a back up, the role he was in at the 36ers he is definatly good enough.

I hope he gets naturalised and given another shot sometime soon, im sure he will do well if given a decent opportunity.

Reply #391118 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Not many on here are not faceless. I didn't really jump ship I was just getting on and slipped. I would hope there was a big gap from SEABL to NBL and being more involved in SEABL I know there are many/majority of players who would not have a hope of making it in NBL. Also have to admit that I was hoping Massingale would do ok and liked the fact that Adelaide gave him a crack. I just get a bad taste in my mouth about the way that some on here are now laying the boots into him, naming a losers award after him is about as low as it gets. I know we are prone to 'tall poppy syndrome' here but lets let them get tall first. Would be more than happy to put my name and address on here but it wouldn't matter anyway as I am nobody. Wasn't even a real big CJ fan but I will be now.

Reply #391131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a beat up.
This forum was loud and constant about how useless CJ was and now you're trolling through box scores to try and manipulate how efficient he was over two games.
He may well be good enough to play 15 mins per game but its not here, OK?

"If you want more out of an import you should spend more..." Are you the only person in SA who doesn't know the financial plight the clubs in? This isn't your fantasy basketball league.

Maybe you should start your your paragraphs with "Once upon a time..."
Dang, Maybe we should've brought in Allen Iverson.

Reply #391132 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Ben Allen not nominated? Fail

Reply #391135 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Anon I think the issue is more that if we had' ve brought in an in his prime Allen Iverson that Marty Clarke would have failed to get anything more than a Steve Colter performance out of him.

Reply #391136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly,

I know we didnt have finances to get a star, but then dont sack him saying he wasnt up to standard after playing him on average less than 10 mins per game.

He probably isnt normal star import NBL standard, but i remember them saying at the start dont think of him as an import just think of him as a 9th man, thats what i did and he met my expectations of that 9th man role, to say he isnt good enough to be a 9th man in the NBL is crazy, he definatly is, he is definatly good enough to be a back up sg, probably the best back up sg in the league, who is better? if you put import status aside it wouldnt be an issue, i get that hes an import, but dont say hes a 9th man, dont expect too much than sack him, saying he wasnt upto scratch.

Thats the issue.

Reply #391140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'Everyone on here thought this. Now everyone on here thinks that.'

You do realise those are mostly different people?

Reply #391152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/cj-massingales-sacking-from-the-adelaide-36ers-is-also-cut-his-reputation/story-fne3ar1x-1226532091334

Reply #391420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That article has already been posted in two different threads now.

Reply #391441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well thanks for posting it for a 3rd time Anon. I hadn't seen it!

``The opinion or assessment of my ability that got me released came from a coach who has been just as successful as I was in the NBL,' he said.

Boom!

Reply #391500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754