natwhereyouat
Years ago

Spurs sign Aron Baynes

Surprised no one has posted it on here.. But Spurs have signed Aussie Aron Baynes.

Topic #30475 | Report this topic

Spursfan  
Years ago

Sweet, saw they were close, but haven't followed it up. Two Aussies, three French (I think De Colo), one Argentinian, one Brazilian, and I guess you could chuck Duncan in there as Virgin Islands.

Will be very interesting to see how many minutes he gets in the next few games. Pop likes to actually play his guys, so we might see him soon.

Reply #397811 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

+ Corey Joseph the Canadian

Reply #397832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know when this is expected to become official?

I hope they do sign him that would be pretty cool, the first time two Aussies would've been on an NBA roster together.

Reply #397838 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Macdub, Joseph was put back to the the D-League, but I see your point.

Reply #397841 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Jeez, foreign players account for over 50% of the team!

Reply #397842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well deserved for baynes from where he was 2 years ago to now is amazing

Reply #397843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watch a lot of Euroleague. Baynes is a much center than Splitter. Then again, that's not saying all that much, as Splitter was always incredibly overrated.

Reply #397845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

edit: much *better* center than Splitter

Reply #397847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aron Baynes wont last 2 seconds in the NBA.

Hes only there because of Brett Brown.

Reply #397855 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

anon, you couldnt believe until now that a white can ball like Kevin Love, dont you?

Reply #397857 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's brilliant news! As someone else said, his improvement and the hard work he has put in has been remarkable. He was leading the Euroleague MVP at the end of the regular season when Ljubljana bowed out, he deserves his call up.

Reply #397862 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Woohoo, you beauty !!! Go, Aron !

Reply #397863 | Report this post

Hooplover  
Years ago

Woo this is awsome. Can't believe there are haters. Great opportunity, hopefully we get to see him play today on ESPN!

Reply #397865 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As someone mentioned above it will be the first time two Aussies have been on the same NBA roster. It will also mean that the Spurs will have had four Australians in their history, the most of any NBA team.

Reply #397875 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Fantastic news! Gold luck Aron!

Reply #397877 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just read on stuff.co.nz that he is 'close to signing a multi year deal'.

Btw, Baynes is a Kiwi :p

Reply #397903 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Reward for hard work. Congrats!

Reply #397908 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@MACDUB - NZ news aren't exactly on the ball. My google search results:

"Reports: Spurs sign Australian big man Aron Baynes - CBSSports.com" - cbssports.com 4 hours ago

"NZ-born Aron Baynes close to NBA contract" - stuff.co.nz 1 hour ago

The Spurs bought out his Euroleague contract for $400,000 then reportedly offered Baynes $3.5 million over four years, with the last two years being team options.

Looks like a reasonable part of the two years could be guaranteed as well. Good on him! After his Olympic performances he deserved a crack.

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21527615/reports-spurs-sign-australian-big-man-aron-baynes

Reply #397909 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Well he's actually an Australian who was born in New Zealand but whatever.

I guess his situation was a little like the Kyrie Irving one, who ultimately took the risk to represent the US even though he'd have been a walk-on for the Boomers just as Baynes would have been for NZ

Reply #397910 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great news!
Deserves a shot as he has been great since London and has really stepped up his game. He brute strength will fit right in in the NBA too.
Will love playing with Parker...

Reply #397911 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jez, I know that.

Hence the " :P "

Reply #397913 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/09/baynes-not-signed-but-could-be/

Could be some time before Baynes is able to join the team ala Mills...

Reply #397914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the OP should've titled it 'Spurs considering signing Aron Baynes' then?

Reply #397916 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think thatgiven his contract has been bought out by them, it is only a matter of time.

Reply #397917 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Thats awesome news! congrats to Aron, good to see hard work being recognised.

The spurs should pick Delly in this years NBA draft, because Baynes and Delly work well at the pick n roll at the olympics. (wishful thinking)

Reply #397927 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

wow

getting 2 years + 2 team option is a great deal for aron.

would that mean they see him as more than a stop gap big man but think he might have an nba future?

really enjoy watching baynes play and his work with delly at the olympics was beautiful.

mills, baynes, delly, ingles and newley all have alot of ball left ahead of them heres hoping they all continue to improve.

Reply #397939 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great news.

Reply #397944 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Just read an article which mentioned he would be the third Australian in the league at the moment and I couldn't think who the other one was apart from Mills. Looks like Bogut's really fallen off my radar with his unfortunate string of injuries.

Reply #397950 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Jawai worked out with the Spurs too prior to the Olympics. I wonder if he'll be on the radar of any other NBA teams?

Delly is surely a chance to be drafted. He'd be a perfect fit for the Lakers in D'Antoni's P&R heavy offence.

Motum and Broekhoff are long shots, but they could find their ways onto an NBA training camp roster in the short term.

And Ingles was generating plenty of talk, a lot of it coming out of the T-Wolves. Wonder if they're still really high on him?

There could be a few Aussies in the NBA next year!

Reply #397951 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I remember years back in the EPL there was a lot of fuss around when there was 11 on 11 and none of them were British (happens every week now). Has this ever happened in the NBA where it was 5 on 5 and none were American?

Go aron. Please don't turn into a big guy that shoots threes.

Reply #397966 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

the thing i love about aron is he plays like you want a big guy to. i hate watching 6'11+ guys playing outside the key. unless your name is dirk banging bodies on the inside should be your bread and butter.

Reply #397971 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great news, hope he gets some game time soon...

Watching the way LA Lakers are playing, I reckon Delly would fit them also, great call on that one...

Ozzi, Ozzi, Ozzi, you know the rest...

Reply #397997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wont last long.

Reply #398037 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I didn't know Baynes was born in NZ.. There ya go!

Reply #398056 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Born in Gisborne from memory.

Reply #398061 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I didn't realise his Euro stats were so good. A 2+2 year deal is great, hopefully he will stick.

Reply #398064 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Union Olimpija confirmed, Baynes moves to San Antonio

From the Adriatric League article:

Baynes received an offer from San Antonio, which Union Olimpija accepted with an explanation that it was a better one than those in December and a unique opportunity for a palyer and a club. "It was a lifetime opportunity for Baynes. We should not be too sad because his move will help also to the club. I am very happy and proud that ur good work was rewarded in such a way," said Union Olimpija's coach Sašo Filipovski.

Reply #398677 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #398693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers LC ^^

Reply #398865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754