Hoops Oracle
Years ago

Big V PreSeason Rankings 23/01/2013

After looking at the Player Signings, Media Releases and general chit chat. I have put together my rankings of the teams in the Mens comp (not including YL) without the restriction of Division.

Would be interested in hearing people's opinions but lets not go rubbisihing clubs.

1. Corio bay
2. Waverly
3. Ringwood
4. Melbourne
5. Diamond valley
6. Hume city
7. Sherbrooke
8. Bulleen
9. Werrebee
10. Sth pen
11. Warrandyte
12. Etham
13. McKinnon
14. Warnambool
15. Geelong
16. Mildura
17. Hawthorn
18. Melbourne Uni
19. Whittlesea
20. Chelsea
21. Camberwell
22. Sunbury
23. Sheparton
24. LaTrobe
25. Blackburn
26. Keysborough
27. Altona
28. Melton
29. Craigieburn
30. Maccabi
31. Western Port
32. Keilor
33. Coburg
34. Pakenham
35. Mornington
36. Casey

Obviously very hard to figure out without everybody playing yet.

Topic #30610 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb at 4? and they posted a request for players on the Big V site, might find them lower than that unless they can snare some talent.

Warrandyte above Eltham? Might be true if the import whisper is true

Reply #400340 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Not sure on Melb at 4 but not far off as a general list give or take a spot or two.

A couple of the top D1 teams (Mckinnon, Mildura, Warrandyte,Geelong) will be stronger than Sherbrooke, Eltham & Werribee.

Reply #400342 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

I was skeptical at first, but after looking at the list it looks pretty much on the money. Hard to do and obviously it is subjective as teams are in different comps

Reply #400350 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

1. Corio Bay
2. Waverley
3. Ringwood
4. Diamond Valley
5. Hume City
7. Sherbrooke
8. Bulleen
9. Eltham
10. Werribee
11. Melbourne
12. Mildura
13. Southern Peninsula
14. Warrandyte
15. McKinnon
16. Camberwell
17. Geelong
18. Chelsea
19. Warnambool
20. Hawthorn
21. Whittlesea
22. Latrobe
23. Shapparton
24. Keysborough
25. Blackburn
26. Melbourne Uni
27. Sunbury
28. Altona
29. Melton
30. Craigieburn
31. Maccabi
32. Western Port
33. Keilor
34. Coburg
35. Pakenham
36. Mornington
37. Casey

Reply #400354 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Oops... I skipped #6

Reply #400355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the top 3 are locked in as are the bottom 3. Corio is the bench mark and possibly will break records this season. Waverly will possibly have Walker from Tiger NBL and another decent recruit that has not been named yet to go with the rest of the players they have added to an already very good side.

Would probably have Warnambool up higher as there is strong chance that Bobby will be making a comeback, Sobey will most likely return for a run and the rumour is there is a very very good import on his way to Warnambool.

I think that Melbourne will pull a few decent players as they always do through the offer to work out for an NBL gig.

Southern Peninsula have recruited very well. Should improve.

As country club Mildura can apply for a second import. Have they? They also always seem to recruit reasonably well.

Camberwell have lost a few and the Ansteys leaving will be noticed, although they have recruited relativly well the club will still be in the rebuilding mindset.

Altona will flat out struggle this year.

Sunbury is a fair bit unknown. Will be interesting could see them go either way but one would expect the poor form of the last few years to guide them further down the rankings once more info is known. Couuld be in amongst the middle of D2 teams (not sure why they were still left in D1)

Shep are very unkown but from what I am hearing they will be very solid. They were runners up at the D2 tourney last year and have obviously improved.

Keysborough finished top of D2 last season and choked in the finals series to be runner up have recruited exceptionally well and added a few guys that could (and have played SCM) possible would be middle of the D1 comp.

Melton also have improved a little but not sure if enough to move significiantly up rankings. Although they have improved enough to be better than the rest of D2 and a few D1 sides.

Craigieburn have droped significantly. Lost their best player, had a couple of retirements (why not go out on c'ship) and have only added players from their YL side. Will be struggle town in D2 let alone D1.

The bottom 3 are set. Casey is probably the clear cut easy beats in D2. Pakenham have improved a little but not enough for finals.

Good luck to all teams and good to see a bit of a big picture of where teams really fit in!

Reply #400377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Waverly Pick up Walker and another quality player they replace Corio Bay for me. Werribee will surprise a few. Melbourne Uni recruiting heavily so will be big improvers

Reply #400484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker is travelling O/S in the off season.

Reply #400485 | Report this post

Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Years ago

Walker to Waverly? That is huge if true

Reply #400492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Uni have improved ther roster big time. Maybe we can see them try to make a charge at getting back into the mindset of getting into SCM

Reply #400589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names that have gone to Melbourne Uni?

Reply #400592 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Jason conway I think

Reply #400654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754