Howies thoughts on NBL Expansion

http://thebackpick.blogspot.com.au/

Great read.

Your thoughts?

Topic #30896 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

A Good Read.

I did like the points regarding Canberra a possible expansion team to bring back. The idea of showing off regular games to Politicians makes sense, especially if you want to promote funding for the sport. Would make common sense then down the line to look at a Wellington side in NZ provided the 'Canberra test' worked out. But those options are waaay down the line.

Brisbane and a 2nd Melbourne team are the obvious choices. However I'm for the 'sitting on 10 teams and growing the league' option. Teams like the Tigers really need to focus on changing venues permanently and getting a bigger average crowd to games. Sixers need to get back to their 7-8k crowds, same with Sydney on a regular basis.

My bigget thing with regards to league expansion and growth, is that teams like Wollongong, Cairns and Townsville all have limits on what they can achieve due to local. I wouldn't want the league to become a four team market (NZ, Perth, Sydney, Melb) where all the money is and as such, all the talent goes; like you see in the NBA with LA, Boston, NY etc.

Reply #405762 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Interesting what he said about brisbane being definate. i also say definate but no time line. Wont be a brisbane team for at least a while yet. the corporate support in brisbane isnt there anymore, even the broncos are down on sponsorship. Also dont think BA are putting loads of $ in, all they are doing is funding the CEO position role in short term contracts, like 3 month contracts. As an interested investor/sponsor i have only heard from the CEO once this year, so dont know if he is still in the job. Im putting together a V8 Supercar team and we are struggling with corporate support, speaking to DJR they are finding it hard to get a major sponsor. people are prepared to spend a little money but not the sort of money needed.

Reply #405860 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Good read, but nothing new.

I think he lost me when Canberra was mentioned as a "priority market".

As soon as the NBL becomes an entertaining and respectable brand to the wider public, politicians will notice. Unfortunately as things stand the NBL is a fantastic product without financial stability or public recognition.

In so far as the biggest reason for a Canberra expansion is showing the league off to politicians, it lacks foundation given the redundancy of this concept.

Reply #405883 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Bruno Cullen has nothing to do officially with Brisbane. Egg on face stuff for BA as he said he would consider it when asked and that resulted in a press release saying he had taken the job. A press release written by Howie.

Reply #405885 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Then why do I have an official potential investors form with him as Chairman, including his mobile number?

Reply #405891 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Bruno Cullen is chairman. Sorry FYI your info is incorrect there. ive actually had several conversations with him and michael.

Reply #405894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

IMO, rivalry will generate excitement and the NBL will prosper from this!

Simply put, two teams in NZ, local rivalry = great crowds and more promotional opportunities with the media which in turn generates the chance for more sponsor $$$...

Same for the Melbourne market, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and alike.

So, the next teams for consideration should be looked at as rivalry teams to those already in existence, not Canberra, unless they are considered rivalr to the Sydney Kings?

Example: Best thing to happen to the A-League has been Melbourne Heart, coming into the soccer scene and creating a fierce rivalry with the Victory...

Example: The AFL, no more needs to be said...

Reply #405950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754