Jack Toft
Years ago

R24: Sixers @ The Gong

Another season is over and another final game at The Gong. Pardon me for stating the bleeding obvious, but it's been a season best forgotten. After coming out of the blocks early, the Sixers looked like they would not only be attending the end of season school formal, but taking the blonde beauty along in her dad’s red sport car with a full tank of fuel. A full pack of condoms in the wallet ready for good measure and the James Bond theme blaring. Sadly, the blonde went to the dance with some Kiwi and for a while it looked like the Sixers would still be going to the formal, albeit with the emotionally unstable Emo goth girl who liked to slash herself for attention, set fire to random things, and arrive in the parent’s rusty 1984 Holden Commodore. Sadly, the Emo goth girl is now going with someone else and for a while it looked like the Sixers could still go to the formal by themselves riding their bike. Now, they aren’t going to the formal at all and the condoms bought early in the season are just leaving a tell tale ring on their wallet.

We don’t know when the trouble at the Sixers school started, but the Head Mistress changed schools before the school year finished and a replacment from head office was sent. During the year a troublesome student was expelled for not following the strict rules of the PE Teacher. That expulsion opened up a spot at the school for an exchange student to fill. Despite promising fancy tricks, he was unable to perform them at the school. During the school year several students fell. One young buck injured a leg and another fell awkwardly off the jungle jim and hurt his back. That meant that Daly, a student from the lower form, started to take class in the higher form. The PE Master, a student’s favourite, fell out of favour with the parents and friends, the school building was sold off and the number of parents attending sports day dropped off. Even the editor of the school magazine decided to disappear to a Pacific Island for most of the school term. We don’t know yet if the school will have the same PE Master next year.

The final two tickets to the formal are still anyones, except for the Sixers, but a Wollongong loss means it makes things very interesting. Even a wooden spoon can be useful and tonight they have nothing to lose in Steeltown and could use that wooden spoon to spank the Hawks. Will they finish the season off with a win? If they keep their chins up anything can happen.

To keep the interest in this dead rubber, Crossie has announced his 350th will be his last and he is one of the few players who can say he played at top level in a national sport for 14 seasons. He now has plenty of time to work on his free throw action.

BTW, The Sixers will be holding their own formal Thursday 28th in the School Hall. "Be there or be square"

Topic #31207 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

Thanks Jack for that interesting if somewhat insane read.

Reply #410301 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It has been a very interesting season, hasn't it?

Reply #410302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice work!

Reply #410304 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Love your work!

Reply #410311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freaking GOLD

Reply #410314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I feel like we've won already with that preview.

Reply #410316 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If only the 36ers coaching staff had as much creativity as your preview then the Sixers may have been getting a root at the formal instead of sitting at home by themselves filming harlem shake vidoes.

Reply #410319 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Bugger, I thought the grand old school had been closed up some 8 weeks ago, allegedly for the pest exterminators to humanely remove some noxious species that had invaded the mainland from an offshore island. But to be honest I haven't seen much action to support this rumour of successful eradication.

I was told that apparently although it was just a non-breeding pair of them, they had successfully taken up occupation within the masters residences, from which they had been foraying so often into the whole campus, that they had totally drenched the historic buildings in putrid uric acid and large volumes of fetid nuggets of semi-solid turds for some time.

Resulting in unstable foundations, quite inhabitable rooms , and HUGE downturns in student attendance, in the previously lucrative visitors’ tours and also in advance enrollments for next year.

Accordingly, although still enrolled, I haven't been attending on-site classes , just logging in to watch the remote learning modules.

I had truly believed that the formal had been cancelled for all students.

So there still are some formals proceeding?

Good-o , I've been given the number of a wizard blonde tight-bodied surfie sheila from the east coast that I'm told is generally a pretty sure thing when it comes to making a good impression at a formal and at the after party. I’m reliably told that she actually can talk intelligently to one’s parents and actually make them feel that she is honestly glad to meet them! Also she seems to have a good timer while still getting good marks ! ( could do with a few hints on that myself)

I need someone like that on the end of the arm, as I want to re-enrol next year but the old’s are checking up the school results on that damn school comparison site and making noises about there being cheaper and better education to be had elsewhere in Adelaide.

Reply #410320 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

That post was more entertaining than the entire season's games put together.

Thanks!

Reply #410334 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Rumours on here had it that the once proud private school was going to become a public school. Will the blond still want to go with you next year if that is so. What is the expiry date on these condoms?

Reply #410402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks 20-14 at Qtr time.

Reply #410601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks 38-30 at the half.

Reply #410602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

62 - 42 ermagehrd

Reply #410606 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Sixers interior "D" is non existent. Stranger things have happened but it looks like they have thrown the towel in the effort areas. DJ's "D" turning Gruber and Davo into the second coming of Duncan and Robinson.

Reply #410607 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

thank god that year is over, how sad is this.

Reply #410609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to next year with Marty at the helm.

Reply #410610 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Please don't rub salt into the wounds of that horrific season with the mention of Marty retaining his job i think there will be a riot if that happened. Congratulations to wollongong for making the finals and goodluck would be nice to see them win the championship.

Reply #410614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty will kill this club if he is still here next year.

Reply #410615 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Pity the team couldn't see Crosswell out in style.

Bring on the off season.

Reply #410616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't too impressed by Gibson tonight. Seemed like he just wanted it all over with.

Petrie scraped into double figures despite seeming effective early. Johnson only 5 FGA. Weigh got his numbers quietly until some garbage points at the end, but someone had to score. SC without any stat at all in 8:52 is a bit remarkable.

Bit of a sorry finish to a forgettable season. Hopefully we can rebound in 2013/14 with a lot of the same players and Creek and Schenscher back on court.

Reply #410617 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Didn't watch the game on NBL.tv, but judging the boxscore, Gibbo looked like he had a shocker. At one stage his DT points were in the negative. Did he have a bad game, or not interested?

Isaac, on SC when I saw that I thought WTF? He was on fire last game and did he just come on and camp in the pocket?

Weigh looks like he had a good game, as did DJ. Another rare Jan sighting.

For the punters out there, just compare the Daly and Cadee stats.

Crossy looked like he didn't do too badly in his last game. Why didn't Wollongong foul him for FT's?

Talking of the Gong, what about Larry the Lounge Lizard. 15 boards, 20 points, plenty of other good stuff. Deleon with a lazy 23 points to pad his season's stats. No points for Oscar, but 5 boards.

I am disappointed with the Red Fox. Surely he could have found a few minutes for Zac Delany.

Reply #410620 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

Was a very lackluster performance all round . It seemed the theme of the night was to give everyone a go rather than trying to finish on a high or try and save your job as coach or your reputation as successful organization. But that wasn't the problem. It was the lack of any passion for the game or a bit of pride for the club. Very disappointing as a fan. That shows exactly where we've failed. We've been a plain milk team for three years with no guidandce, no culture and no identity and this effort was a perfect example of the attitude or lack of that has destroyed a successful brand.

R.I.P

The Clarke / Radford era

Reply #410621 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The work starts now on the fourth year of the three year plan.

Reply #410623 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

From what I saw on NBL.TV Weigh wasn't at his best out there for all but the last when he padded up his score with some shots in junk time (and for most of them the Hawks didn't even bother defending him). When he gave away a silly offensive foul in the third it just showed how frustrated he was out there. But he wasn't alone in having a night to forget, he had quite a few mates who were playing as if they wanted it all to be over rather than as if they had nothing to lose....

Last week was seemingly a one off for Christopherson. SC looked totally lost out there and despite playing 8:52 didn't even look like getting on the scoreboard. Didn't put up a shot, no assists, TO's....in fact his entire stats for the game read as a big fat "0". A fitting end to his NBL career maybe?

Gibbo played like he didn't really care to be out there. 37:01 on court and only 5 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists. And Cadee wasn't much better really.

DJ had a quiet night by his standards, despite recording his 8th double-double of the season with a 12 point, 10 rebound effort.

On a bright note, it was good to have a Jan sighting. And it was good to see Nathan Crosswell take a few shots in his last game and not just pass the ball. Crossy went 3/6 on the night for 6 points in 16:39 game time. Not the way he would have wanted to end his career, but he can say he was our most productive guard tonight.

Well done to the Hawks who played like they had everything to gain tonight, which they did. They blew us away on effort and intensity. And was it me or in the last, was everything just dropping for them when they'd run down the shot clock. They seemingly couldn't miss no matter how bad the shot looked.

I know its not official (yet), but dare I say it.....ding dong the coaches are finally gone.

Reply #410630 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #410632 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bye Bye Marty. It's been....yeah.

Reply #410633 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

Played like he had been told he was not coming back last season.

Reply #410637 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

SC that is

Reply #410638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well at least that's over.

Reply #410643 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

What? No Marcus Camby comments yet? What is the world coming too?

All will say is this 'grand plan' we all heard of never came to fruition now did it? Surprise, surprise!

To be 20 down with one quarter to go in the season, is pretty piss poor. Clarke should apologise for his attempt to mislead the supporters, members and public with those away wins where he said something to the effect of, this is what weve been doing at training day in day out and now the fruits of our labour have begun. Yeah buddy, short lived.

Reply #410676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah well said poster above me.

Results speak for themesevles and as much as numpties like Marcus Camby will try and defend Clarke, he cannot deny being wooden spooners and becoming the easy beat team of the league.

Reply #410679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754