Isaac
Years ago

Brad Robbins to un-retire for GF series?

Not sure if this is just a beat-up to generate interest and I definitely checked to make sure it wasn't written a day earlier, but Perth Now have a piece about the viability of Brad Robbins returning to the Cats to help fill the absence of Damian Martin:

But Robbins, 28, looms as a possible addition to the rotation after completing a full training session with the side this morning.

Robbins announced his retirement last December after describing himself as "physically and mentally fatigued" following an injury-affected 18 months.

The former co-captain has been a regular at training since calling it quits, helping his former teammates in an advisory role.

But he appeared to be far more active than usual in this morning's shooting session, sparking speculation he could feature in some capacity for the upcoming series.
Can't see a technical problem with it. He's been on injury waivers rather than officially retired, and the NBL have said he can play again so that wouldn't stop it if the team and player were keen.

Hope it happens just for the hell of it.

Topic #31307 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/16493479/robbins-back-for-wildcats/

This story makes it sound like it is all but done.

Obviously not going to be able to replace Damien Martin but definitely a boost for the team in his absence!

Reply #411931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Baby!!!!

Reply #411932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins v Boucher v Tovey for who can get away with the most flagrant foul in the GF

Reply #411936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, if it happens and Perth wins we totally have the script of the movie that is going to put the NBL back on the mainstream map.

Reply #411939 | Report this post

Cats 82  
Years ago

How the f u get tovey? No better replacement for damo than robbo! :) he was wildcats and now his back. It aint damo but hey he can defend.

Reply #411940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tovey is a grub

he tried to knock Gibbo who is the best out in a game at Perth arena and Gibbo didn't get any call. It was stoopid.

Then he tried to break crosswells arm

he is just a talentless hacker

Reply #411946 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The one thing that lets this forum down is the number of people so willing to tell lies about players they don't like.

Reply #411947 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Agreed The Situation.

I think this will be a real positive for the series, offsetting in part the loss of Martin. Both teams have been excellent all season so it should be a great finals series.

Reply #411948 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It would make the finals more interesting.

Reply #411950 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's risky for the Wildcats and I don't think it will eventuate.

Reply #411951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon946
Gibbo can't complain, he's had it coming ever since he sold Amelia Earhart to the Illuminati back in the '30s so she could be sent to Mars.

Hey, if you're allowed to make up outlandish stories about players, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Reply #411953 | Report this post

rhea79  
Years ago

Being more active is understable as he was actually replacing Martyn. Not impossible of course to see him back.

Reply #411955 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

#953 that is my favourite post of this season. Kudos.

Reply #411957 | Report this post

Achilles Heel  
Years ago

Why don't they sign up Thomas Schmidt?
Or Tom Waterhouse? lol

Reply #411960 | Report this post

doggy  
Years ago

Who will start at pg?

Reply #411963 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Carter

Reply #411964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is favourite now? Other than hca, perth are back and a great move by perth, robbo, lisch, carter and bartlet v jackson, corletto, webster an cj

Reply #411965 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

This was the first sports news story on channel 10 tonight before any football was mentioned.

Reply #411975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if robbo put his hand up. He would do anything to help the team even if he makes a fool of himself out there. Would be carrying a few extra kg and open to ridicule from opposition fans but would be great to see him out there again. Might even be a blessing in disguise.. he could quite literally bulldoze his way to the basket and top score. It would take a triple team of pledger, boucher and vukona with enough combined weight to stop his penetration and then it would leave the likes of lisch and redhage open on the perimeter.

Reply #411976 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"This was the first sports news story on channel 10 tonight before any football was mentioned."

They might have to move the Fremantle v Essendon game...

Reply #411978 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Why would Robbins want to play, he quit/walked out on his team mid season because he had enough of basketball.

Reply #411994 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He didnt walk out on his team he just stopped playing games, he has been at training often since his "retirement" and Lisch said he was still like a captain even though he wasnt playing.

Reply #411998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Things just got interesting. There are minutes in a GF series at stake. Even if he barely plays. I can see them trotting him out off the bench in the Perth home game and then riding a wave of crowd support.

Robbins will apparently travel to NZ for Game 1 - this from And The Foul:

Brad Robbins will travel to NZ for game 1. NBL has cleared him to return #NBLFinals

Reply #411999 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

OMG but syndey wer'ent aloud to sign a player why r teh wildcats rules for sum and rules 4 others!!1!

Reply #412001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever handles paperwork and competition administration for the Wildcats must be the lovechild of Houdini and a super-villain.

Reply #412006 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

So does that mean Martin will be on injury waivers?

Hypothetical: if this is the case and Perth win the series, will Martin be 'officially' recognized as a member of the championship squad?

How does that work?

Reply #412014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, he will get the same recognition AFAIK.

Reply #412017 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think it works the same as AFL, where the 22 are the only ones recognised as premiership players.

Reply #412021 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

If it's anything like the NBA, the ushers will get a ring!

Reply #412027 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

This does make things interesting though.
How many people loaded up on NZ prior to this happening and now feel somewhat ripped off!!!
(Raises hand)

Reply #412028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rogers got one for only half a game 3 years ago

Reply #412029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anything he will give 5 fouls on Cedric.

Reply #412051 | Report this post

Melbourne Hawk  
Years ago

What I dont understand is that if he was put on injury waivers, isnt Rhys Carter his replacement player?

In my mind that would mean Rhys would not be able to play....

Not taking anything away from a terrible injury on the eve of the finals, but does this set a precedent for injury replacement players next season?

Happy to be corrected and could be completely off base.

Reply #412052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Don't mess with Wildcat's by-law-fu. They seem to know that book inside-out.

Reply #412072 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty sure that if Martin is placed on injury waivers with a season ending injury then Carter can be Martin's injury replacement upon the return of Robbins.

Reply #412078 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

You can't move around the NBL clubs as an injury waiver but can you move internally from player to player in one club?
Sounds odd.
Still nothing from the Cats.
This is all speculation but interesting.

Reply #412079 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/perths-brad-robbins-excited-for-return-in-nbl-grand-final-series/story-fnhq5xcn-1226611717193

Reply #412082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Robbins was on the radio this morning. It all developed out of a joke, apparently, then someone stopped and thought "wait, can we actually do that?"

And apparently it's been ticked off by Bevo, Marvin, Bendat and then the NBL has cleared it.

Reply #412189 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Robbins would had to have played 7 games earlier on in the season to qualify for this game... Dunigan played 4 games so he could never been considered had a big been injured instead.

I'm not a coach but to me it's obvious that Robbins should use his 5 fouls each game hard on Jackson and send the air ball king to the free throw line... That will get the Crowd involved and we should have 2 or 3 very loud arenas.

Bit shocked Wildcats haven't won at Vector Arena, but we will have two chances to change that!

Reply #412341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754