Willie
Years ago

Tall Blacks 2013

In the spirit of The NZ Breakers winning their 3rd straight NBL championship I thought it would be interesting to predict the Tall Black squad for the Oceania Series in August (Qualifier for the world championships in Spain 2014)

Projected Starters -

PG - C Jackson (Assuming he naturalises in time)
SG - K Penney
SF - T Albercrombie
PF - M Vukona
C - S Adams (Should be available as won't have to report to his NBA team until September)

Bench -

PG - L Tait
G - T Webster
SG - C Webster
PF - I Fotu
C - A Pledger
PF - R Loe
SF - R Te-Rangi

Interesting mix of youth and experience and a tonne of fire power, size and athleticism which the Boomers could struggle to contain.

This could well be the most even series we've seen in a long time!

Topic #31381 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

It would be great if we could have Jackson next to Penney with the Websters coming off the bench. Would give NZ a real shot at Australia having 2 legitimate scoring threats in the backcourt.

I would start Pledger due to his chemistry with the other starters and the fact he has so much more experience than Adams (if Adams will play for NZ at this stage of his Career)

Reply #413413 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Jackson hasn't said he wants to become a Kiwi..

Reply #413414 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

"If I get naturalised I would definitely play for the Tall Blacks" - Cedric Jackson

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10863688

Reply #413417 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

PG- C. Webster / Tait
SG- Penney / T. Webster
SF- Abercrombie / M. Jones
PF- Vukona / Loe
C- Adams / Pledger

-For the last 2 spots its between: Henry, Te Rangi, Bartlett, Trueman and Edwards.

-Fotu would be in the team but he said on Twitter he isn't playing for the Tall Blacks this year

-Id also doubt Steve Adams will play for the Tall Blacks this year, but would have to start him if he is available.

-Could possibly switch Marcel Jones for Kevin Braswell. I don't think Jackson is able to become a citizen until next year.

Reply #413418 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Oh my mistake. As you were!

Reply #413419 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He has also said that it would be great to play International Basketball against the best in the world.

We should probably worry about the Tallblacks having enough money to Train/Play before we start worrying about if Jackson may come back to the Breakers and naturalize.

Reply #413420 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

C Webster/T Webster
K Penney/E Bartlett
T Abercrombie/L Henry
M Vukona/I Fotu
A Pledger/R Loe

IMO Lindsay Tait is long past his best, let the young guys have a shot.

Reply #413421 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Leon Henry has been playing well enough to warrant a bench spot. If Fotu isn't available I'd take TeRangi and slide Henry up to PF and let TeRangi come off the bench for Abercrombie. Webster has been playing well enough in the NBL to start at PG but could find himself coming off the bench behind Penney with Braswell starting at PG if naturalized.

Reply #413423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell/Tait/T Webster
Penney/C Webster
Abercrombie/Henry/Te Rangi
Vukona/Loe
Pledger/Adams or Fotu

Reply #413427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills
Exum
Simmons
Maker
Bogut

Australia in 5 years time. Potentially 5 NBA players plus another one off the bench (Baynes).

Reply #413430 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Australia in 5 years time. Potentially 5 NBA players plus another one off the bench (Baynes)."

sweet now try get them all on the court for a qualifying series.

Reply #413437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like Mystro's 10, and yes the Websters are the future as much as I respect what Tait's done for the Tall Blacks. I would still add Lindsay and Casey Frank to that team for experience and dependable hands if things arent going well. Te Rangi has to be around the mark too.

Now, to find some money so they can actually play some games!

Reply #413447 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice one, a reasonable cross Tasman rivalry would be good to see, maybe our two countries should play an annual 3 game tournament like other sports do?

That would also raise the profile of the sport IMO!

Reply #413450 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Now, to find some money so they can actually play some games!"

^THIS!

Reply #413451 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its a bit sad that NZ and Australia can't play regular games against each other (i.e. Series which aren't just qualifiers). I know both are cash-strapped, especially NZ, but still pretty disappointing.

New Zealand are on the brink of having a 'user-pays' system for their senior team.

I know there has being some talk of BBNZ leasing the Tall Black rights to the Wellington Saints CEO. Hopefully they progress with discussions.

In terms of on the court stuff..Wouldn't expect Adams to play. In fact, I wouldn't want him too. Go get that NBA contract son. Pledger is a handy replacement.

I wonder if Ced has applied for citizenship. NZ is pretty relaxed when it comes to handing out citizenship for those who will represent the country.
If he applied, it could be fastracked pretty easy I would imagine.

Ced
Penney
Abercrombie
Vukona
Adams

That would be our best starting 5 since the 2002 days

Reply #413459 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Tai Webster/Brook Ruscoe
Kirk Penney/Corey Webster
Thomas Abercrombie/Reuben Te Rangi
Mika Vukona/Jeremiah Trueman
Alex Pledger/Rob Loe

Reply #413461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this team demonstrates some positives of being a relatively small basketball nation in that all players with some potential are given great opportunities to progress at an elite level. Some of these guys might get swallowed up in the system in countries with greater depth.

Reply #413468 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Ced
Penney
Abercrombie
Vukona
Adams

That would be our best starting 5 since the 2002 days"

Our best ever hands down, Pero Cameron was good but not Penney good consistently.

Reply #413469 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Indeed, easily the best, although Pledger is still the best big man until Adams knocks him off.

Would love to see an annual series separate from qualifiers. With both countries moving into FIBA Asia-Pacific we might see that start in a couple of years.

Reply #413476 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

I think Cell is spot on including Marcel Jones. Definitely rates above Te Rangi, Bartlett, or Henry. I've only seen Loe a couple of times and wasn't overwhelmed but he's young. Haven't seen Fotu.

Jackson a real long shot I think. Have to go with Tait and C.Webster at the point. Tait is on the tail end probably, but a whole lot steadier than Braswell and more of a facilitator. I want Penney, Abercrombie, and T.Webster getting shots and opportunities, not Braswell at this point in his career.

Reply #413480 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Have to agree with Cell and Black Panther regarding Marcel Jones.

His versatility as a 6"8 3/4 man who can score, defend and rebound is what this team needs.

I was frustrated with Nenad's decision to take Frank instead of Jones at the qualifying tournament last year. (Although I think Jones' paperwork was not cleared in time, but I can't remember..anyone?)

We will potentially be starting 3 current Breakers players (Vukona, Abercrombie and Pledger) and 1 ex-Breaker (Penney) who are all familiar with Breakers sets.

So Lemanis, if BA doesn't want you, we would be more than happy to have you as coach (and use Breakers sets) :)

Reply #413487 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Tait is on the tail end probably, but a whole lot steadier than Braswell and more of a facilitator. I want Penney, Abercrombie, and T.Webster getting shots and opportunities, not Braswell at this point in his career."

Fair and good point.
Just not sure that we have enough solid ball carriers to cope with presses and foul trouble where as we have capable/ok guys to play SF or PF.

Reply #413490 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Mystro, you're right. Very, very thin at PG, but after watching Braswell treat the ball like it was a hand grenade with the Tigers this year, I'd prefer having Pledger bring it up against pressure.

Reply #413506 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mystro, you're right. Very, very thin at PG, but after watching Braswell treat the ball like it was a hand grenade with the Tigers this year, I'd prefer having Pledger bring it up against pressure.

hahaha another fair call, he was good playing for Lemanis and didn't look for his shot as much

Reply #413508 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

if only Phil Jones was 5yrs younger

Reply #413527 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Why, Breakers let him go to develop Abercrombie who's come along great.
Abercrombie has a decent outside shot to compliment his athleticism that Jones could only dream of.

Reply #413529 | Report this post

Youknow ME  
Years ago

Hmm if you put Cedric Jackson into the line up, they have a real shot at toppling over what will be an undermanned australian squad (probably without some NBA and euro guys).

So, do both teams automatically qualify but this is for placings? or is it just 1?

Reply #413533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both qualify.

Reply #413537 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

5 years later, still developing!
Most athletic breaker ever but don't sleep on jones
He will still drop 20 on abercrombie.
Penney and jones are shooters.
Abercrombie scores off the ball . When he learns to takeover a game , then he will be a monster

Reply #413548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry did someone mention Casey Frank and dependeble hands in the same sentence?? :S

I think in the next couple of years we will see the Tall Blacks rolling out three legit 7 footers in the same squad! Don't think that's happened before!

BTW Thon Maker will be a bust and will never make the Boomers!

Reply #413556 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"I think in the next couple of years we will see the Tall Blacks rolling out three legit 7 footers in the same squad! Don't think that's happened before!"

Agreed, it is pretty exciting prospect to have that much depth in a position we have historically struggled to fill.
The will all offer different skill sets also, -Pledger has developed his post game and has an ok mid range J if needed,
-Loe can shoot the 3ball at a decent clip,
-Adams is athletic, mobile and strong.

Add the Websters and TeRangi and Fotu and we have some great talent coming through (as does Australia so their job isn't going to be any easier).

Reply #413615 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"5 years later, still developing!
Most athletic breaker ever but don't sleep on jones
He will still drop 20 on abercrombie.
Penney and jones are shooters.
Abercrombie scores off the ball . When he learns to takeover a game , then he will be a monster"

you are living in 2002, Jones was hot and cold.

Reply #413618 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Reuben Te Rangi will be better then Thomas Abercrombie

Reply #413628 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Reuben Te Rangi will be better then Thomas Abercrombie"

got tonight's lotto result?

Reply #413635 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

You watch too much tv mystro
Enjoy the missed 3s lastnight?

Reply #413639 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Enjoy the missed 3s lastnight?"

yeah thoroughly, well the ones from Perth anyway.

when was Phil Jones a 100% 3 point shooter?

Reply #413650 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

He still would've got more in lastnight then abercrombie and henry combined. Don't become the NZBL all time leading scorer by missing open 3s

Reply #413715 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So he did miss occasionally?

Reply #413726 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was 0-2 in his last NBL GF game. Must have been some wind in the stadium.

Reply #413730 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Mystro you put the % into this
Not meeeeeeeeeee

Reply #413800 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Those missed shots made cj look young

Reply #413801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754