watto
Years ago

Where to now for Cats?

Its fair to say the wildcats would be disappointed with the way they played in the grand final series. Especially after putting together some formidable performances late in the regular season they would have felt pretty good about themselves leading up to the finals. NZ are deserved champions but it was a big blow to their chances losing martin before the gf for the second year in a row. But its a glaring issue that the current players are very inconsistent shooting the ball under pressure. Bevo himself has being saying for the past three seasons that they need to improve their offense but hasn't changed much of the personnel and their ball movement isnt as fluent as a couple of seasons ago either. Should Bevo be the first one to be moved on now that he is out of contract? I get the feeling that the hierarchy must be disappointed with their game style. Should there be a change of coach or is the game style ok but they just need more capable players that can shoot? Redhage, Knight and Lisch are all out of contract and tovey and robbins have retired so there is opportunity for change.
What type of line up should they be looking at for next season. Not having a big inside presence really showed them up against the breakers. If they recruit a seven footer, is knight able to play the PF position? If so, one of redhage or wagstaff will need to go. At SF they need a swingman type that is a potent scorer. Hire isn't starting five quality just yet. But if Knight remains the centre of choice they might need to recruit a bigger PF to help on the glass and provide a defensive presence like a vukona type. Either way i think there isnt enough room for wagstaff on the roster. Hope Lisch sticks around but wouldn't be surprised if he tried is luck in europe at this stage of his career.
Anyone have any thoughts on who should stay and who should go?

Topic #31397 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

With no Martyn they need an American 1 as they struggled without him.Somebody who can distribute the ball and control the tempo.

Reply #413774 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Knight is a fabulous shooter.
Would like to see him out of the centre.

Reply #413775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always thought the game style would cost Perth in the end, teams who can put up with Perths over the top defense but play a cleaner more fluid style of offense will win in the end, much like Smyth v Gorj in the past.

Bevo is a good coach, needs to recruit an offensively minded player or 2 and clean up the style a bit and they will do much better, definatly need a scoring sf imo, focus more on playing basketball than rugby also.

With the Bevo rumours and Martin and Knight being loyal to Bevo, could be big changes ahead if Bevo moves to another team.

Reply #413781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting how even with Martin there, they don't exactly gain a shooter.

Funny that a top two finish would have a fan not unkeen to see Bevo out, major starters shifted, etc. In Adelaide, we'll take them all! Except Robbins. And I don't like Wagstaff and Hire much.

Reply #413784 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I thought this thread was about the GFC...

Reply #413786 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Perth played that way as they don't have the shooters so wouldn't win a shoot out with NZ. They need some shooters and then watch their style change a bit as they could win without tackling and playing basket brawl.

Reply #413788 | Report this post

bolto  
Years ago

yeh, spot on skills. Hire, Wagstaff, Robbins and even Knight to a lesser extent are not highly skilled ballers, but play with intensity and grit and that usually gets them thru, esp. at home. But pure skill is needed at some point, particularly against the likes of Jackson, Bruton, Abercrombie etc.

Reply #413790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leaving
Lisch
Knight
Martin
Carter
Bartlett
Truman
Barrlett

Keeping
Waggstaff
Hire
Redage

Getting
Neville
Ervin/import
Worthington
PC

Rookie
Ellis

Dev
Pinders son

Reply #413793 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

Isaac, Petrie is exactly what i am after.. you can have trueman if you like.

I would like Bevo to be re-signed but even as a wildcats fan im not overly impressed with their game style and would like to see more attractive offense. Perhaps its just a couple of different players are needed instead of game plan or coach.

IMO keep majority of the team together with Knight at centre. Toveys departure provides seven more points in the cap that may be enough for a second import at SF that is more offensively potent. If they need more space in the cap then wagstaff should be the one to be released and get a cheaper option for a back up to shawn redhage.

In an ideal world dunigan would be in there too for some showtime!

Reply #413794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's leaving Tovey not Barrlett twice,but then again he was that bed during GF I would sack him twice just to make sure.

Reply #413795 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

Is pinders son confirmed?

Reply #413796 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

What is the minimum number of players required on a roster. Must it be 10-12 + development players? Or can you sign only 9 higher calibre players instead?

Reply #413797 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

"Is pinders son confirmed?"

Pinder is currently a development player at the wildcats. Has been touted as a 'once in a generation player'. Really quick and long arms

Reply #413798 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

why is he not going to college?

Reply #413799 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is he a DP or just someone who trains with the team?

Reply #413810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth have 6 or so DPs.

Reply #413817 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

We need a person that can put the ball in the hole, it is that simple. Lisch is a must keep, knight should play p/f as good as damo is on the defencive end we need a point guard that can shoot a ervin and lisch combo with redhage knight and dunigan/nevile type at centre

Reply #413833 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Already Signed:
Martin
Bartlett
Wagstaff
Tovey (retired)

Likely to return:
Redhage
Knight
Trueman

Might return:
Lisch
Carter
Hire

Alot is going to be determined by Bevo I think.

Lisch's movement will be interesting too. I would like to think the Sydney rumours are just that and if he isn't in red next year it will be because he is in Europe. He is about to leave for Peurto Rico (sp?) so that should supplement his income enough to keep him in the NBL if he doesnt head to Europe.

Hire has out grown his pay check the wildcats give him and although he seems loyal I think he may test the waters to gauge better what he is worth around the league.

Strong case that Cody Ellis will be playing for the Wildcats next season but not a definite.

Dunnigan keeps getting bought up but I dont know if he fits well with Knight in the lineup. I dont know if Knight is agile enough to play NBL 4 along side Dunnigan at 5.

Very interesting off season ahead.

Reply #413836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good chance to change it up. I think if Bevo joins another NBL team Martin and Knight won't be back.

So with Bevo; expect the only change to be Ellis for Tovey.

Without Bevo:

Import/Iliadis
Gibson/Bartlett
Crawford/Hire
Redhage/Wagstaff
Dunigan/Jervis

Reply #413840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You must have at least 10 contracted players within the two caps.

Can't see why any Perth fan would want Martin or Knight moved on under any circumstances. They are a huge foundation to build on.

Reply #413845 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Wagstaff, Bartlett & Martin signed

Knight will stay for one more season, possibley two then retire

Hire will stay

Redhage will stay if he excepts a big decrease in wages.

Lisch is unlikely

Robbins to return

Need to sign people that can score, Lisch, Knight & Redhage have been their main (only) options from 2011-13,with Wagstaff every now & then scoring 15+ thats why they havent gone that one better.

When they won the last Championship they had more players that could come out & score 15+ on any given day Redhage, Lisch, Weigh, Rogers/Young, Cattalini,Big Red, even Williamson could score back then.

Reply #413847 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why do these "Knight to retire" rumours keep persisting? He has had a couple of injuries in the past few years, nothing severe, and nothing that really hampers him on the court. He has had far from the worst run of luck in the past few years.

Reply #413853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Robbins to return
?

BTW:

Reply #413863 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think the Cats will offer him a contract.

Reply #413865 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

And why would Redhage need to accept a big decrease in wages? To fit more people in, or because he isn't worthy of it?

Reply #413866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Robbins is already under contract for next season and he said before the GF series he might play on.

Reply #413876 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Knight - From the horses mouth

Robbins - Before GF call up he was about to start state league in preperation for a good offseason as he wants to play NBL again.

Redhage - Do you not know what kind of business man Marvin is? Shaun will want to stay in Perth & the Cats will know that but will want to free up $$, he will be backed into a corner.

Reply #413892 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

Knight said recently he wants to play until he's 30 then possibly give aussie rules a crack.

Robbins shouldn't return nor the wildcats should take him. Its time to move on

Reply #413898 | Report this post

magnum  
Years ago

We need another scorer pure and simple. I know Bartlett has a contract, but he should be moved on, he was poor in the GF, but from what i saw he wasn't much better in the regular season. With his and Tovey's points we may be able to get a decent swingman who can play the 2-3 role. Wagstaff should also be in the starting 5.

How does it work for Martin ?, can we have a replacement until he is ready to come back.

Reply #414045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitting on 81points. Can clear tovey,trueman and lisch bringing them down to 59pts, add carter and knight down to 43. Martin10, wagstaff9, redhage10, hire7, bartlett6. If they add dunigan10, takes them to 53 with 17points and 4vacancies meaning a few rookies and a thinner bench next season

Reply #414095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mistake I didn't allow for internal ratings but still not alot of room to move still better off building through younger talent

Reply #414107 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

How about this..

Dunigan (10) / Trueman (2)
Knight (9) / Redhage (10)
Import SF (10) / Hire (4)
Lisch (10) / Bartlett (4)
Martin (9) / * 2 points remaining

* Will need to get a cheaper option to fill the back up point guard spot which is not ideal. But Lisch can play the point when Martin is resting. The new import could move between SG and SF depending on whether Lisch is on the floor with Hire backup SF.
This line up also assumes Knight will be a success at PF. But he can also move to Centre depending on when they want to play a smaller line up or for match ups. Either Redhage or wagstaff will need to be released to make enough room in the cap. I pick Redhage to remain for his superior offense. What he lacks in defense is made up by having a bigger keyway presence with Dunigan there.
Seems like a pretty flexible lineup with more potent offense and bigger inside presence. It could work.

Reply #414113 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

^^^ Scrap that roster above ^^^^

I just saw the new player ratings released. Would never fit under the cap now.

Manipulation by the league at its finest

Reply #414119 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Bartlett has to go, he just is not worth 6pts. By hook or crook.

We need offensive strength, based on actually being able to make shots, not simply on being able to generate lots of shots and hope some go in.

Team feels a lot like Hawthorn at the moment. Jagged an early title but simply cannot repeat for whatever reason, structural or mental.

We need a change of direction. Would be nice to see a very offensive minded assistant coach to join the ranks. But really, we need some reliable shots. The defence is superlative, even NZ cannot run up scores on us. But it's not getting us over the line.

Reply #414128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is only 4 points, under contract.

Reply #414129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot repeat because of injuries and a bloody good team in front of them. Add one good shooter and this team wins. Trueman, Tovey and Carter dont return and there is 13 points left for three spots. Will have to have a couple of rookies next season, Cody Ellis and a point guard?

Reply #414130 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats should get Dunigan. As for the points system, How the hell can Dunigan be a 10 after only a few games.

Reply #414647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he is an import and almost all imports start out as 10s. If he had those stats over a whole season your looking at an all NBL first or second team player, I hope we can get him

Reply #414648 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Yeah, I think he'd be a good fit for the club.

Reply #414649 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

I'd like

Dunigan 10
Trueman 6
Redhage 10
Hire 7
Martin 10
Import Guard
Ellis/Purser Dev's

Knight,Lisch are on the move I think.

Reply #414651 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Oop's forgot Wagstaff is under contract.

Reply #414652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754