#45 hoops
Years ago

NBA Team v.s Australian NBL All-Star Team?

Came across this topic on the internet:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/04/09/how-the-nba-can-help-boost-the-nbls-profile/#comments

For anyone who doesnt want to read it, its bassically the idea of organising a NBA team to come down to Australia and play a pre season game agaisnt An NBL team, or NBL all star team.

What does everyone think?
It would have the potential to get a huge crowd, if it were played it a large stadium, and huge publicity for the NBL in australian media

only problem is getting the NBA team to travel all the way down here to do so.

Topic #31534 | Report this topic

#45 hoops  
Years ago

Sorry for the spelling mistakes.

Reply #416200 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no one has ever come up with that idea before :highfive:

Reply #416201 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

i'm simply asking everyone on what the possibility and outcomes of this happening is

Reply #416205 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Depends on $$$. The NSW and Vic Government are spending millioons getting Man U and Liverpool to NSW and Victoria respectively.

Good idead but I doubt the government would cough up so you would need a Clive Palmer or Tinkler (prior to current troubles) to fund it.

If the money was right I think they would come.

Reply #416206 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think it's possible.

NBA teams are starting to really spread their pre-seasons across Europe. If someone like the San Antonio Spurs, with all their Australian connections were posed with the offer and their was enough money and organisation I think they'd come. Although I don't know if the Australian public would get behind their own Mills and Baynes compared to LeBron or Kobe for example..

Reply #416217 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Tom Waterhouse offering money back if NBA team doesn't score 100 . Awaiting confirmation of game length .
Gamble Responsibly

Reply #416226 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Hopefully a 48min game Perth and Sydney would be likely hosts. A NBL squad could be:
Jackson
Lisch
Worthington (melb?)
M knight
Ogilvy

Ervin
Gibson
Madgen
Abercrombie
D Johnson
Pledger
Nevill

Its only a hypothetical team anyway I doubt everyone will agree but it's a start

Reply #416230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't happen in a long time, not until BA get their heads out of their asses and start to show competent signs that they can actually manage the sport.

Reply #416238 | Report this post

traread  
Years ago

The NBA are seriously looking into bringing a pre-season game down to Australia.

Obviously, it won't be this pre-season as the schedule's already set, but if all goes well, they are looking at next year as a legitimate option.

Reply #416256 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Was fortunate enough in 2010 to meet a bunch of the suits in charge of NBA Asia who have been looking to bring a couple teams down here in 5 years (by 2015). As with the Euro games they won't to bring teams that have native players (so Australian in our case), which at the time would have been POR and MIL, but now SAS and GSW. Their issue was they want to establish an NBA office in Australia again first, and build the brand back up (which has been happening) along with the sports appeal. They also wanted to see the NBL get stronger and BA put some actual work into marketing the league and sport as a whole. So it is going to happen, when however is another question. I don't think it will be more than 3 years seeing how popular the NBA has became in the past few years (hipsters finally becoming of use). They wont bring a team to play an NBL team or NBL All Star team though, maybe Boomers but thats it.

Reply #416281 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

it won't be in next 2 seasons either... They have their schedules pretty set for 2 years for international games

Reply #416282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't happen as BA would oversee it and they can't organise a beer in a brewery. Maybe when new blood is running BA

Reply #416289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather see the boomers team play against some legitimate teams

Reply #416300 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The NBA isn't going to allow BA to oversee it, they're too big of a business to allow somebody to take control of their branding. BA would be involved but only to create a future business relationship that's only going to happen if it's completely in the NBAs best interest to expand.

Reply #416323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754