Jack Toft
Years ago

R8 ABL Action

Mavs - Tigers
Women: You can't say the Mavettes fans aren’t getting their monies worth this season, it’s one great game after another. Tigeresses will go hard, but Mavettes on the rebound are as dangerous as eating puffer fish prepared by a chef using a blunt knife.
Men: Might not be the prettiest game tonight, but will still be contested like two seagulls fighting over a hot chip. Tigers to keep the Mavs pain going.

Flames – Sabres
Women: MOTR. Flames a cut above the rest and Sabres in full swing, Flames should win by about 20, but the Sabres will eat them alive with wasabi if they don’t treat them with respect.
Men: The Flames will need to be like midgets at a urinal – on their toes. Just when they get a bit of momentum, along comes The Sabres. Both teams are looking for 3 in a row, but will the Sabres be the gatecrashers and trash the party? Flames by 5.

Bearcats – Panthers
Women: On paper, 'Cats by 30. Both these teams have put up a similar number of shots, and 37% is always gunna beat 29%, but if you practice your shooting, you only need a good night.
Men: Well, who would have thought DJ was so cruicial to the Westies boys. They get a chance to make amends this round and should add to the Panther’s pain, regardless if DJ is playing, or off surfing.

Warriors – Eagles
Women: I would like to write some inspiring words for the home team, but I think the Eagles’ tallons are just too sharp.
Men: MOTR. Warriors were out foxed last round. Eagles just don’t know how to die. This will be tighter than a fat kid in a rashie. It deserves to go to OT and with my predictor saying Eagles by 1 point, I think it might. For the Warriors to win, it will be like playing backyard cricket on a doggy do riddled lawn, they just gotta focus.

Lions – Rockets
Women: The North squad has 914 games experience. The Lions pride have a combined 215 games experience between them, Jo Hill has 206, which meant that last week she had more experience than the whole squad. The result is a foregone conclusion, but at least KB’s Angels are getting better each week.
Men: The Battle of the North. Lions having their best season since the '84 team and their short shorts graced the court. Rockets have been rejuvenated with the addition of Petrie. Lions showed how vunerable Westies were last round and this game will be a beauty! The braun of the Rockets against the running game of the Lions. Norf in a boilover.

Topic #31741 | Report this topic

Annon  
Years ago

Gold Jack, just Gold!!!!!!

Reply #419963 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Loved the 'The Flames will need to be like midgets at a urinal - on their toes.'

What a turn of phrase, Jack!!

Reply #419965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many points for tess

Reply #419994 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Why am I still smiling at the wrap for Warriors V Eagles men??

Reply #420002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was DJ really away surfing last satuday?

Reply #420074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm you could call it surfing? Most wouldn't

Reply #420078 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't know where DJ was last weekend, but I would imagine he could be a pretty good surfer.

Reply #420084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol what was he doing? playing pokemon or what haha?

Reply #420109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no wonder the crowds are down, nobody talking on here about the CABL guess we are all finding the games boring and not worth talking about or turning up too?

Reply #420199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ABL died but no one went to the funeral

Reply #420201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Boal took a very heavy and nasty knock last night anyone know how his is?

Reply #420226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He got taken straight to the hospital in an ambulance. He got discharged a couple hours later and is ok now.

Reply #420229 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Who won mens Centrals v North

Reply #420266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look up the stats

Reply #420269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt men won by 20. Millard tore his achilles

Reply #420276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems as thought there are many injuries around this season. I was at the west and south womens game, south had a first good 1st qtr. Unusual but soon returned to their normal game. I noticed Hansberry warming the bench. Any idea what happened with her?

Reply #420278 | Report this post

No stats for North - Centrals men, so who won?

Reply #420279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North came from a long way back to win by two

Reply #420286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hansberry out for the season with a knee. I do not envy Vicki with this group of girls. She can only do so much. I hope for her sake she can recruit some talent next season. I actually think she is a very good coach but has been dealt a tough hand.

Reply #420289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a way to disrespect your players

Reply #420291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How exactly has Vikki been dealt a tough hand? She inherited the team she wanted to coach, pissed all the players off so they left and has shown no ability to recruit and maintain a team, coupled with a lack of interest in junior development I would think 3 years at the helm of a team we can stop talking about the tough hand she has been dealt. She has made this bed... She can lay in it!

Reply #420294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reality is that the top 5 teams have better players than the bottom 5. It's very obvious. And I am just a spectator from week to week. I'm no expert but I think it's one of the reasons why this competition is so torn.

Reply #420295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has been their for just over 2 seasons. You people have no idea and are gutless in your comments. You sit from afar and comment on subject you know very little about. It's going to take alot longer than 2 or 3 years to get teams like Woodville, Southern,Centrals,West and South back on track. Give theses clubs and coaches a break.

Reply #420300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of threads turning into attacks. Get a life people!

Reply #420301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I'm no expert we are not talking about GWS or GC in the AFL who are building rosters with no club history, these clubs have been around long enough to look at MANY various models of semi pro competitions and their own district comp, some clubs manage transition of players through age groups well others don't.
Some clubs have to "rebuild" and play a lot of homegrown youth because they 1. Don't have the pull power of other clubs in the recruiting area.
2. Can't manage rosters and build playing groups well to assist in filling attrition gaps. It's on the Clubs to resolve these issues, fix image and manage lists better.

Reply #420317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seriously above post, how the hell do you know what is going on at other clubs!!!

do you know what the woodville, tigers, south or centrals coaches are doing towards their juniors??

Reply #420319 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Anon#319

Nothing.

Reply #420321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not what the ABA coaches are doing towards their junior players.

Its what the clubs are not doing. They are not putting their resources into them.

Look at Southern, had a full time coaching director, club was moving up. Coached the vice presidents kid and whamo, no more full time CD. Full that the same Vice president has a girls in their ABA team now which is horrendous.

Look at South, more teams than Sturt, but only able to have a part time CD. As well as having the previous presidents put coach and player development on the back burner.

Woodville is always interested in their senior teams doing well. No paid JDO, but able to recruit and put everything into their senior teams. Then cry foul when their kids leave.

Or Centrlas, all their good coaches in the boys program. Have left the girls side to die. Had a CD but let them go to another club because they didnt do anything for them in support for Nationals.

It stars and end at the top. Until clubs build a long term program like other clubs and look at a 5-10 year plan, they will consistnatly struggle.

Problem is, that they want to win in 2-3 years which becomes unsustainable.

Reply #420322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above poster you are 100% correct.

The problem is with clubs that are struggling is they are run by parents with no idea on basketball or developing basketball programs.

Parents always make the decisions in the best interest of their kid.
> THey don't care what the club will be doing in 5-10 yrs time because they know they won't be there anymore. So don't take a strategic view.

> They have no experience in developing basketball programs, generally no experience in coaching and very little playing background, other than occasionally in the dark ages which has little relevance to today's game .

Generally the stronger clubs have leadership teams whose kids are elite junior players and so the kid can succeed off their own back or their kids have played basketball and finnished so the President is looking to put back in, without a 2nd agenda.

Sturt, Norwood, Forestville have always put BASKETBALL people in key Basketball positions. That IS THE DIFFERENCE. Whilst their committees have focussed on ensuring the club is well funded, programs are measured, good social environment off the floor and adequate athlete/child protection policies are in place.

Reply #420327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leigh took the under 12 training yesterday, coaches the 16 girls, and has a number of 18's train with the ABA, i would think he is trying to develop his juniors!

Reply #420349 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Doesnt matter what Leigh does.

As soon as he looks to recruit/develop over certain peoples kids, he will get removed like the last JCD.

Having below standard kids train with ABA wont help them or the current ABA players.

Reply #420356 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

It is all so easy for you experts - who simply jump from one club to another in search of success. People like Leigh are doing their best and be great to have all the bells and whistles these power clubs have but look first at the inequality around income as a starting point dont tell me that their no correlation South might have more teams but with that comes supplying coaches Sturt Bar canteen to support and grow what they need - money equals success - some clubs dont know difference hard work with little resources and plenty resources gravy train

Reply #420358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON,

No mate...People like you dont realise that the Canteen at Pasadena was making a $8K loss per year before Sturt took it over. This is because you have to pay someone to look after it during school hours for a school of 250 kids as a part of the deal to run it.

And considering South hve a canteen with a similar obligation, they would make more money from it.

Also, Sturt managed to have similar success when they didnt have any stadium nor bar and canteen faility for 18 months after the original stadium burnt down, and a gain for 9 month when the floors at Pasadena were out of action.

No gravy train....

Reply #420371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know what she has done to her knee? Hope she is all right. Saw her play last season and was in control of the group. Looks like their new recruited guard has no idea.
Thesevclubs need to focus on the juniour development and not allow parents to run the clubs. Its nit benefitting anyone!!!

Reply #420394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more than anything thank goodness Shane Boal is okay, sickening collision could have been much worse

Reply #420397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What clubs are being run by the parents??

Reply #420475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sharon" is running the Tigers

Reply #420482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the Presidents of Sturt, Forestville and Norwood have children playing at those clubs?

Reply #420483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no they are run by basketball gods!!

Reply #420500 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

483, I know where you are coming from and it is a perception that unfortunately holds some stupid people back. It doesn't matter if they are or if they were. Dumb people always think that people get on committees to feather their own nest or push the career of their children. In most cases this could not be further from the truth. Most people who get on committees do so because they care and have the skills to do so and wish to contribute to their club. A lot of committee members get shite from dumb club members, and dumb CDs. I think you are insinuating that Presidents and committee members need to be un-biased and that is without a doubt crucial. People who join committees for the wrong reasons get found out quickly. Usually it is the lazy, useless tools in a club who sit on their fat bums in the bleaches and bag out those who work tirelessly for their club, yet these knockers on the sideline come across all innocent. You know the type of people I mean. There the ones who can't help out on the canteen roster. Helping out with the BBQ affects their asthma, yet they fag on outside. They are their every round to watch their kid play, yet when it is their turn to score, they are suddenly called into work, or forget their glasses. They are the ones who's fees invoices gets lost in the mail, then they argue because they miss out on every second Sunday training due to some pathetic reason that their fees should be reduced by 10%.

I would rather have a clever President of a club with a vision of moving forward, able to mobilise resources and assemble a great team around them, regardless of whether they have 6 kids playing, or were some old hack player in the 80's and needs to get away from "Her Indoors", or are some "basketball god" who lives and breaths basketball. Results matter.

Reply #420522 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Well said Jack.

.... I was an old hack player, but even further back... mainly the 70s......

Reply #420540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack

Are those the same people that get on here bagging ABA coaches also

Reply #420543 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

who knows anon? Haters are gunna hate.

Rock, nothing wrong with an old hack player! If you can no longer dunk, you can always dish out an assist, or hide in the corner and sink that 3.

Reply #420544 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Jack,

How do you tell the difference of the president who looks after the club and the president who has the club looking them?

Reply #420551 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Charon,
Sounds like you have a gripe against a Prez?

In answer to your question, it is very, very simple. A decent Club President runs the club like an organisation and seeks to leave the club in a better position at the end of their tenure. That's the President who looks after the Club.

BTW, should I give you a coin?

Reply #420557 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Jack,

Not at all.

How do you measure if a club is in a better position at the end of a presidents tenure?

How do you judge that they have run the club like an organisation when they are dealing with volunteers and don't have employees and no one is willing to do any thing to help except those that want something in return?

Reply #420558 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Each case is different. What was it like for you?

Reply #420559 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

???

So it's not measurable and really is dependent on subjectivity.

Though you said it was easy to judge.

Feel free to explain.

Reply #420562 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Though(t) (sic) you said it was easy to judge"

Where I am alleged to have said that?
I suspect this is a matter close to your heart and based on your line of questioning, it sounds like you are a current or former President.

What contribution do you make to your club? Have you been accused of bias? Are you one of those who accuses others?

Reply #420563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that's it

Reply #420564 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Sorry Jack,

"In answer to your question, it is very, very simple."

How again is a subjective answer than is different in every situation very, very simple?

PLease again explain how you measure if a president has done a good job?

PS Confident I do more for my club than you. I coach even though my kids aren't involved.

Reply #420583 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Charon - usually a board (or members) will set target KPIs for the club to achieve for the year. The success or failure of the board would be measured on their ability to meet those KPIs. The question for the clubs is to define a plan, set milestones in place and hold their board accountable to meeting those targets - same as any organisation. This is a professional approach and will differentiate the switched on clubs from the rest.

Reply #420586 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

HOw many clubs do you think hold themselves to KPI's?

Reply #420591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KPI's based on winning games do not augur well for kids development.

Reply #420601 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Whether they do or not is a separate issue, that's a job for the members to hold the board to account at the AGM. If you're a member of the club and want to know how the board measures its performance, ask them.

Basketball operations, finance, marketing, management are all elements that make a club successful. The club that will flourish is one that has these skills on its board or amongst its volunteer group.

I'm not sure where the idea of setting a KPI of winning games came from. The KPIs should be based on developing a solid successful club - development programs, recruitment programs, financials etc all add up to a club being able to put the best team on the court.

Reply #420612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A poorly managed organisation can perform well on the court, the kids walk the walk, the coaches talk the walk and well a lot of parents talk the talk.

I feel that as a club member it should be transparent what the Presidents ambitions are, what the board aims to achieve, targets and goals and reviews should be common sense.

Having said that not all Presidents and boards operate like that, I know some clubs issue newsletters and other clubs don't even issue out emails. Coaches, managers & parents may feel left to their own devises without input or may feel supported through a good culture of communication, direction and transparency..

Charon which type of club do you feel you coach for?

Reply #420614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Charon actually "Sharon" from Tigers?

Reply #420649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Sharon that runs the Tigers I thought their president is Shane Charnstrom according to their website but that was dated Aug 2012?

Reply #420651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754