Jonno
Years ago

36ers Roster

With it looking likely both maher and farley will be back giving us 8 players, wat type of player should we be looking at to round out the roster i think we need a back up Center and a back up guard, im guessing both will have 2 be cheap,prob minimum i reckon some guys like Kingma, Matt Smith, Miles Pearce, Jason Everstyn, Blake Truslove who are young and big, i think they are all above 6'9 would be worth a look for the back up centre spot, none of them are higly regarded but they may develop sorta like cooper who aslo wasnt heaps highly regarded prior to joining the 6ers, for the back up guard Brad Gerlach and Jye Watson may be worth a look as they are young and local,guys like Vandenberg or brendan mann would also be good

Topic #3177 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

2 rookies it will have to be 21k player or there abouts ruling out kingma and truslove

but i beleive rees was told when he wasnt offered a contract that he still was in the consideration

Reply #36713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The minimum offer is a brutal minimum -- inclusive of superannuation, have to pay for your own health cover, etc. I do not expect that it will be able to attract anything beyond development players, or someone working another job who is given relaxed training requirements.

Kingma would be earning more overseas. OzHoops Rumours/Signings page says that Eversteyn is a free-agent, but I don't know if he could be tempted to relocate for minimum, but it may be worth a shot. Truslove has an option to work off-court with the Breakers that is more lucrative than what is available with the Sixers, AFAIK.

Not sure regarding the status of Matt Smith (OzHoops says he's a free agent) or Miles Pearce (same).

There was word of them talking to Jason Dix. I wondered if he may be picked up to train once a week and suit for games in exchange for the $21k on top of his current job, but while he's highly skilled, I don't know if he's solid enough to start ahead of or back up Cooper.

I'm still guessing that we'll see Nick Hambour as a late signing in the middle, or Paul Rees agreeing to minimum and working his trophy business and Hoop2Hoop on the side more than in the past.

A missed option would've been Cameron Tragardh (re-signed with the Crocs) who is dominating the QABL (33.6 PPG at 65%). Axel Dench is playing in the SEABL, along with Dave Biwer, but I don't know if they're minimum-salary players. Could maybe go for Dench on a 21k this year, more next year two-year deal?

I haven't heard anything about guards, so I'm assuming that Gerlach still holds favour with the coaches.

In NBL news today, Damon Lowery has signed with Townsville.

Reply #36714 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

oh yea, dench, i love your 2 year idea, he would be awesome, but sd you said it'd be tough n highly unlikely to get him unfortunstly, europe would be a option again for him i guess

Reply #36719 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

I really do hope the sixers go for Jye Watson over gerlach Jye has proved through out the season he can score ... and has alot of potential he has scored agaisnt nbl quality players ... and has a solid body shape which could go up agaisnt any one in the NBL something i think gerlach lacks
,,, i really think the sixers main aim should be to get the signture of their two best players then we can look at our development postions ...

Reply #36724 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea, i agree we should lock maher and farley in first, another big man i hav thought of is Nik Mirich, he was solid for cairns n could play wit cooper

Reply #36731 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

have you seen nick Mirich latley?
he is a bouncer in Melbourne and about 30-40kg overweight. He also has 4 kids. I can't see him packing up to rush here for the great deal on offer....
or anyone moving here for that matter.....

Be real there is a total of 20k left to offer each spot. From each offer of 20k take out super and tax and about $2500 of health insc.
It is borderline with the dole.....

Reply #36739 | Report this post

I know  
Years ago

Who we gonna get for $14,000 ???

Reply #36741 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

$14 000 for a full time job....

What's the catch??????

Reply #36742 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Scott Whitmore makes that much in an hour, so we can rule him out of the running.

If Reesy's business is breaking even, we can rule him out too.

I'd be begging Reesy to come back ..... and track down the 7 guys who played Wookies in Episode III and offer them all a position.

Reply #36745 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Get a $60K player to play for 6 months of the year for $20K and then employ him for the other 6 months in Admin for $40K. The off season would be a busy one in the office with all the preparation for the new season. I know that $40K is excessive for 6 months of admin work but its a price you pay for having a good player play for $20k.

I can't see that employment outside the NBL season would count towards the salary cap. It would be the same as the Sixers playing ABA, Europe, NZ or anywhere else and getting paid for it.

Reply #36749 | Report this post

pink panther  
Years ago

I heard damien pounsett will play - coming out from retirement

Reply #36763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC -- playing salary plus gig doing development within BASA, for example, is not an option. It's possible under NBL rules, but from what I've heard, it's not something being considered/offered for the final two spots.

Reply #36766 | Report this post

why  
Years ago

Because that would take forward thinking.

Reply #36780 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

what about kent?

Reply #36782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clark? that would be super

Reply #36788 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I've heard that the 36ers may have Lightning style try-outs to determine the final 2 positions.

Remember that whilst the minimum contract might not be much money there are only a limited number of NBL contracts up for grab and positions 9 and 10 are still better than the 11 and 12 development spots that are up for grabs at other clubs.

You may happen to stumble across a couple of good players just wanting the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

I haven't seen Steven McDonald play for Albury Wodonga but he is meant to be a decent back-up PG that may give us a small quick guy to match up against the Brad Davidsons and Damon Lowerys.

For the back-up big man I'd like to see something be worked out with Blake Truslove. I've always hoped that Vasiljevic would be given a one season chance with the 36ers. If he can't execute plays as alleged then he stays on the bench. If he delivers on his talent he could turn out better than Cooper.

They haven't given him a chance before so probably won't now.

On the import front, I believe Farley still hasn't signed but they remain hopeful he will shortly. Discussions remain ongoing with Brian Wethers as well in case Farley decides not to return.

Reply #36798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they need a 5 man no offence to oscar but he's just not big enough. they need to find a 6,10-7 out of a div 3 collage or even high school they just need a good big man

Reply #36805 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I didn't mean it for the final 2 development spots, I meant it for a replacement centre for Rees.

Reply #36844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The replacement for Rees will be 9th or 10th man, i.e., the $21k salary previously mentioned. Like I said, the club are not offering a job (even legitimate) on the side because they do not have the space under the cap.

Reply #36864 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Truslove looked likely to play with the Breakers this season,but he will now sit the year out with a foot injury.
Relief!

Reply #37618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754