Happy Days
Years ago

Kings SEABL Import options

http://andthefoul.net/archives/6317

Maybe throw Calvin Henry in the mix as well.William Walker might be a sleeper but he has signed a contract in Luxemberg after SEABL.

Topic #31893 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

eric williams

Reply #422607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaff,Polk and McFarlin would be quality good cheap options for the Kings.

Reply #422612 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Boti mentioned in his article last week that Heal was after a 2/3 player who could guard the 3/2/1 positions while Polk and McFarlin are both power forwards who would not fit that role.

Reply #422616 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Theron is a gun, can't go past someone like him...

Reply #422617 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Nice Suggestion Bear.He would certainly bring the crowds in. Athletic as all hell.

Reply #422618 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Theron Wilson is probably the best fit for what Heal was reportedly chasing.

Reply #422622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either Wilson or Mercer from Supercats are by far the best imports in SEABL. The list ATFN used are all undersized big men who can guard the perimeter.

Reply #422624 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, Theron or Mike, obviously they would be great picks. Either or both, they have shown they can dominate at times, also work well together. I'm sure they would love to spend some time in Sydney over the summer!!!

NBL would not look back, crowds would love watching them play, very exciting prospect for the NBL I would think...

Reply #422625 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Agreed... when I asked somebody who knows SEABL a lot better than I do which players would best fit Heal's description he said Wilson if he wants a 3/2 or Mercer if it's a 2/3. I can see where Smith was coming from in his article but he probably hasn't been following what Heal has been saying.

Reply #422626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would look at nznbl imports instead? Akeem Wright, Bryant Markson, Brian Greene?

Reply #422627 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

There is a 3 day trial in Sydney next week so it will be interesting to see who shows.

Reply #422628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Resorting to SEABL imports oh how the standard of the NBL has dropped IMO

Reply #422630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon's got a great point, you'd never see NBL teams in the past getting imports like Mike Kelly or Shawn Redhage out of the SEABL.

Reply #422632 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

SEABL perimeter imports that are not straight PGs are

Mercer
Wilson
Richard
Henifin
Long
Lewis
Gonzaga
Payne

Plenty of variation in that list for heal to pick through, just depends what he is after.

I would scratch long, henifin and Gonzaga from that list but the others can all offer a cheap option.

Reply #422638 | Report this post

BigRed  
Years ago

I don't understand. If Heal is looking for a "cheap" import, would it not be better to try and secure an Aussie or NZ talent that is potentially even better? Why waste an import spot on someone "cheap". To me an import should be your marquee player, your go to, your most marketable etc. If you already have all of that fulfilled with your Aussie talent then why continue down the import path? SIGN AUSSIES

Reply #422639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Big red. It seems to me we are just recycling used imports for example rod grizzard. Don't teams scout the globe anymore? Must be some decent aussie/kiwi players out there

Reply #422641 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

just depends what he is after.

As mentioned above already (and in a couple of different articles) "Boti mentioned in his article last week that Heal was after a 2/3 player who could guard the 3/2/1 positions"

So it looks like he's counting on Hill filling that "stretch to the 4" position...

would it not be better to try and secure an Aussie or NZ talent that is potentially even better?

That position is notoriously hard to full with a quality player, let alone a quality Australian... Who on any of last years rosters would be an option? Bose you'd think would be close, if you're looking overseas, but even then he wasn't quite quick enough defensively...

Reply #422644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal has talked to a few seabl coaches already trying to get a feel across the seabl for who may be a good fit. These guys are here already and they are a known quantity on and off the court. Thats a important issue and it's a good idea.

Reply #422647 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Looking at the roster you would think that a multi position guy who can bring a little of everything could be a good fit.

Both Geelong imports would be worth a look.

If Heal wants a scorer he should look at CJ and Richard.

Reply #422649 | Report this post

Phobos 92  
Years ago

I'd go Mike Mercer.

His jumper needs work and nbl teams would sag off him quickly, although he'd still find a way to get to the rack and get FT's. He could guard a few different positions.

He has the pedigree of an nbl player (or better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-TMP5bpdI

Reply #422664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ's not the answer. He had his shot and there are far better fitter and younger people around that deserve a shot. Those names have been already mentioned.

Reply #422671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see both sides of the argument about whether chasing a SEABL import for the NBL is a good move. Sure, they are a known quantity & standout players in a lower level competition but let's face it, Garlepp & Hill are not that far behind the imports being discussed as possibilities in their SEABL stats yet these 2 guys are bench or role players at NBL level. I certainly don't see any of the names mentioned being stars in the NBL but then imports are increasingly being used to fill gaps in a team rather than being the superstars who you build a team around.

As with CJ's signing last season, there is no way these guys are worth 10 points on a roster but if a team has the points to spare & they are a better fit or more talented than any available local player then it's worth a shot as a budget option.

Reply #422672 | Report this post

Old timer  
Years ago

Calvin Henry was going to the "Gong" last season but they needed a small guard, this guy can play the 2/3/4 spots has great handles and plays above the rim. Someone needs to pick this guy up, will be having a tryout with 36rs soon from what I hear.I go to all the games he plays in Melbourne and he is as good as ive seen.

Reply #422673 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Calvin has the tools and the work ethic but lacks a reliable mid range jumper.He would be in the mix for a spot.

Reply #422720 | Report this post

Old timer  
Years ago

Looking at his stats he is shooting at 55% for the year (Not bad) Last game 29 points @ 75%

Reply #422746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't he playing Big V Div 1 this year? What were his stats like when he played SEABL last year?

Reply #422768 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

19.2ppg, 9.5rpg, 53%FG in 2012 with Frankston.

Reply #422769 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

The reason coaches sign cheap imports is because they need someone to blame when the team under performs........lol.......That way when the media puts pressure on the coach for under performing he fires the import and then it looks like the team and club are moving in the "right direction"......

AUSTRALIA WANTS TO BE ENTERTAINED......BRING BACK SOME GUYS WHO CAN PLAY ABOVE THE RIM!!!!

Reply #422772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Williams will be training next week from all reports.

Reply #422792 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Calvin points come close to the rim or on the drive.He has been working hard on his 10-12ft jump shot as he'll need that to play NBL. Runchey was trying to get to stop falling away on his jumpshot.

Reply #422793 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

From Boti:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers8217-tom-daly-to-trial-with-sydney-kings/story-fne5r4t9-1226662722313

Kings coach Shane Heal invited Daly, 22 and a 186cm point guard, to trial with the club which is looking for a back-up playmaker to new import Jesse Sanders.

Sydney also will trial three imports, one from the SEABL, one from Queensland and the third from the state league.

No NZ NBL imports & only one from SEABL?

Reply #422856 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

A possible contender from QBL:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=196469231&client=1-4144-138306-252857-18668703

Reply #422859 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I wonder who the one is from SEABL? Braydon Hobbs has been tearing up the QBL up north after a stint in Spain.

Reply #422860 | Report this post

Hawk  
Years ago

Justin Watts playing for Rockhampton in the QBL?

Reply #422955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is Eric Williams from the Corio Bay Stingrays will be attending, he must be the State division player who has got the call. Good luck to him if true.

Reply #422976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they looking for a 2/3 or a 3/4 bearing in mind madgens injury

Reply #422977 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good to see Williams get a look as he went to the same school as Corin Henry. I wonder who has been Heals ear....

Reply #422978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal has speaking with SEABL coaches himself and occaddionally checking out the Spartans opponents in person

Reply #422980 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Heal should be signing Mike Mercer, he would be a perfect fit!

Reply #423012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing special about Mercer. A good talent in SeabL but NBL no

Reply #423019 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Neither Wilson nor Mercer have been contacted by any NBL teams.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/06/14/367162_local_sports.html

Reply #423041 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Anon423019

Have you been to see mercer play?

6'4" guard with NBA athletic ability. The best player in the team with the best record thus far in the SEABL.

21.4ppg 5.1rpg 4.5apg

Reply #423047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have seen mercer play. very little wow factor. A good seabl player. maybe he can do better in the NBL. Like many of these players he's here and worth a shot but I wouldnt be hoping too much.

Reply #423059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754