Big Sexy
Years ago

Sixers sign BJ Anthony for 2 years

Link
http://www.adelaide36ers.com/article/id/17gfim568l4f91m3wu95i7jwmy

Topic #31959 | Report this topic

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

He can set a solid screen...check out the link on the 36ers site, ouch.

Reply #424049 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great to hear, he has been playing well in the NZNBL this season and I look forward to seeing him back in an NBL Uniform.

Reply #424051 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Good signing adds toughness to 36ers bench

Reply #424052 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Still can't believe that wasn't an offensive foul.

Reply #424053 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

50 points committed to 7 players.

Reply #424056 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice pick. Shame it wasn't on Redhage.

Reply #424057 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Good pick up playmaker, i just assumed he was a 3. Only 49 points not 50. but unless we are getting a recycled import, it looks like we need a 1 point player for the last spot

Reply #424058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deba George?

Reply #424059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is karma for me rubbishing him over the years!

Go BJ, yay team!

Reply #424060 | Report this post

jake heke  
Years ago

I agree with that MacGyver fella was an awesome pick bro

Reply #424062 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Signing Brandon Teys from Townsville (was a dev player for the Blaze) could work

Johnson (8)/Schensher (9)
Petrie (8)/Anthony (5)
Import (10)/Creek (4)
Gibson (10)/Teys (1)
Import (10)/Cadee (5)

Reply #424066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO just to confirm here. Bj would be 9th or 10th man?

Good pick up if so.

Reply #424068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ will probably get as much court time as Pero did.

Reply #424071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

another lame signing in the lame nbl!

Reply #424082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pick up, he has played some good games, exactly what the sixers need as last big man.

Reply #424086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smashed him Bro! lmao

Reply #424088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is a replacement for Pero then that is a massive plus. This guy can actually play!

Reply #424091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ch 7 - one sentence, one picture, no footage.
Ch 9 - no mention.

Reply #424115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has BJ had a "checkered" past with alcohol and other psycho active substances?

Reply #424123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he can be a good backup in the ANBL

Reply #424125 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Thanks, Big Sexy. I keep forgetting that DJ is worth 8-points on his current contract. 49 points committed to 7 players is much more workable for the 36ers.

Reply #424127 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

If Wright decides to go with two 10-point imports, Brendan Teys (previously played for him at Gold Coast) or Adam Doyle would be my favorites to fill the 10th man spot.

Reply #424128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, BJ turned up to practice drunk the Breakers suspended him then declined to re-sign him and he spent last season playing in a minor league in Germany.

In the NBL averaged 3.0ppg & 1.5rpg in his rookie season and then 2.8ppg & 1.7rpg in his 2nd season.

At only 6'6" would've preferred they re-signed Pero (better player, more experienced & 6'10") but shouldn't get enough minutes to hurt us anyway.

Reply #424129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

24 is the right age, he should have matured..
I'd prefer him to pero any day as pero has reached his potential where bj has a lot of upside for little risk.
Good signing, him and peach on the floor together and we have some real mongrel hustlers on the court.

Reply #424138 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I would say BJ is an upgrade on Pero.. who was near useless for last season. Not a bad back up big. More keen on who our imports will be. One i think is Winston Robinson.

Reply #424160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ is 25 next month, should be entering his prime.

Reply #424162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing signing, major risks if he goes off the rails even slightly. I wouldnt have made a major marketing thing about this. Hopefully he can be used well for training purposes.

Reply #424163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't mind the signing. Good to get a hustle guy in the frontcourt to join Petrie.

Reply #424164 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Probably wasnt worth the suspense they tried to give it. lol. Had to laugh when they released who it was I was all likke "BJ Who?" his youtube portfolio consists of 1 screen that was basically an offensive foul and thats all. Either way, will be an ok 9th-10th man

Reply #424165 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

a box score from 2009 when Anthony was being guarded by Jawai

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/151/00/91/65/35POdkCjaGtSs/

Reply #424172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey will keep an eye on him at the Clubs, Party on baby!!

Reply #424174 | Report this post

facts  
Years ago

Is this a good team?

Johnson / Luke S
Petrie / BJ Anthony
Creek / Farley
Gibson / Cadee
Gun Import / Doyle

Sorry Isaac

Reply #424175 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I like Doyle, but he is just too short

Reply #424179 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BJ didn't turn up to practice drunk, he was hung over and he was asked to leave by his Breakers team mates.

He also was charged with drink driving in another incident.

Reply #424182 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What's peoples thoughts..I think Wright should have tried really hard to bring back two college players instead - one for backup PF and one for backup SG.

Could have looked at:
- Joel Naburgs: Averaged 10.1 PG at D1 Stetson. 6"4 guard.
-Damon Heuir: Put up big numbers at SUU. Great player. 6"3 but could play backup SG and provide scoring.
-Mitch McCarron, Nathan Sobey, Corey Maynard. (Not Seniors, but worth an ask)

For backup PF:
-Cody Ellis: linked to Perth, but can't remember if that was confirmed?
-Jeromie Hill: 10 or so points at UTSA.
-Daniel Trist + few more young players who may not be enjoying college experience

Problem with signing BJ is that he takes up 5 points, meaning now you only have 1 point for the SG/PG position.

So you either go with Teys at backup SG, or you put Cadee at SG and Doyle as backup PG
Both situations present some worrying problems.

I used to be critical of teams signing college returnees.
But with their 3-point value and the fact that they are searching for their first pro-gig and will take any little amount thrown at them = attractive option for teams

Reply #424183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Sobey are you kidding MACDUB. Better players in the WARATAH league.

Reply #424188 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I was a bit shocked as well macdub, maybe they have asked for a review of his points and has been dropped to a 3, there was also a rumour that the new NBL was thinking about scrapping the point system.

Reply #424189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There arent many good players in the Waratah at all.

Reply #424191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of decent big running around in Waratah but overall the standard isn't great.

Reply #424193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that excited that this is a guy to help replace Weigh. Imports had better be good.

Reply #424194 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

So with this signing and current roster, does this make us a playoff team? a team near the play off mark or nowhere near?

Reply #424201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. It's hard to say. Our roster at the start of last year looked like a playoff team and look what happened. Assuming we sign a couple of imports I would say the team on paper would look just as good, if not better. We will find out if it was a coach or players gelling problem I guess.

Reply #424204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team should be a playoff contender...I think you will find coaching staff were the problem last season.

Reply #424240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely he is too small to play the 4 spot. Petrie and Peron both a good 4 inches taller. And I just hope Luke stays sound and DJ gets tougher. In my mind we still have an issue at the guard spot. Yes I am a glass half empty person and the only substantial improvement so far is the coach.

Reply #424243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

until the imports are signed the jury is out imo but a great step forward signing joey wright

Reply #424269 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He is fine to play the 4, I doubt any of the current Sixers could move him out of the paint.
He will bang and rebound and has been polishing his offensive game since his last stint for the Breakers plus he's only backup for Petrie.

Reply #424278 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think it all depends on the imports. they said there looking for import small forward and point guard. I will be glad for point guard as I think Gibson isnt that good at that position. Gibson to me has always been a shooting guard made to try to be something he is not.

Reply #424287 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

BJ Anthony is listed at 6'6" (with shoes). Most of his competition will have two inches or less on him. Not a big deal given the NBL's style of play.

Also not a big deal considering he's likely to get, what, 5-10mins per game (if that)?

Reply #424294 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Jebus what a screen :|

Reply #424367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ has the potential to be a star. Whether he fulfills that who knows, but he can play. If his attitude is bad, he wont do anything.

Reply #424369 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Good 'no-call'. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But in todays game, they would call it against us, but not the breakers. thats how the refs now roll

Reply #424390 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with that? There were three things wrong with it, any one of which could have been called illegal.

Reply #424399 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Bit sad really when your highlight reel consists of one screen...Hope he's lost a bit of weight since those images, looks a bit slow.
But it is good to have another player with a bit of toughness about him.
I'm not holding my breathe but hopefully between BJ and Petrie that can install some toughness in DJ during practices.

Reply #424698 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

*breath

Reply #424699 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Panther, From what I have seen on Youtube (his NZ team have there games online) he is big but by no means unfit, runs hard and is high energy

Reply #424713 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Hes probably going to be a very good back up for Petrie I would say.

Reply #424714 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that screen vid Panther is a couple of years old now.
He's dropped a bit of weight.

Reply #424715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754